alright so ive been playin for like 3 years. and im trying to learn the first couple minutes of welcome home by coheed. i got it down but i cant do pinch harmonics. i guess its all in how you hold the pic. i usually pic with atleast a good quarter of the tip showing. so my question is do you guys just keep your pic in that position (tip barely showing) or do you move the pic back and forth? it sucks cause my guitar jack is broken at the moment so it doesnt come out the amp, but im getting it fixed tomorro.
You already kind of know how to hold the pick and stuff, so now, you should focus on EXPERIMENTING how you could produce a pinch harmonic, and where on the string. It took me about three weeks to figure it out perfectly. Just make sure you hit the string with the pick, and immediatly afterwards with your thumb.
pinch doesnt work to well without an amp and heavy distortion. secondly its very hard to describe pinch harmonics without being there
I take it you know what natural harmonics are? What you see on the fretboard is what you should try and see on the string too.

The natural harmonics are the same harmonics as the pinched ones. Just calculate where the natural harmonics would be further up on the string(above the pickups) and do the pinched harmonic there. As you should know, there are several natural harmonics. The same goes for pinched, gotta find em all.

And if pinched harmonics don't work without the heavy distortion you're obviously doing it wrong.
Wise Man Says: The guitar is obviously female, she's got hips, breasts... and a hole.
UG's Flamenco Club
Quote by Engel22
pinch doesnt work to well without an amp and heavy distortion. secondly its very hard to describe pinch harmonics without being there

If you practice getting them acoustically, either on an acoustic or on an unplugged electric, they sound a lot better, faster when you move to playing it plugged in and heavily distorted.
Also http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/guitar_techniques/pinch_harmonics.html
Quote by Alter-Bridge
If I had sex as much as you said the word "shit" I would be paris hilton.

Quote by rworsl
I have never felt closer to either cheese or weasels

Quote by Vermintide

DURN THING DUN GONE MESS UP AGIYAN. MARGE, FETCH ME MAH BOOMSTIYAK
Quote by Engel22

Billy Gibbons begs to differ.
alright thanks for the replies but my question is still in the air. do you guys keep your pic in that position or do you keep moving your fingers up and down the pic to do the pinch harmonics and then going for a good ol fasioned strum? do you get my question?? i know its kinda confusing
i guess its too dumb of a question to be answered lol. oh well guess ill figure it out on my own tomorro
Read what I just said, and try it it's the perfect way to find where your guitars pinched harmonics should be. And how you hold your pic is entirely up to you. Some hold their pic like it's glued to their hands and others barely keep it steady. Try what works for you.
Wise Man Says: The guitar is obviously female, she's got hips, breasts... and a hole.
UG's Flamenco Club
To do a pinch harmonic just pick the string and then immediately touch it lightly with the top of your thumb as you do the picking movement..It's kinda hard to explain..
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")