Ok this time my other freind wants to start playing guitar. Hes pretty much exclusively metal/death metal fan. And is a huge fan of trey azorgoth (morbid angel). JUst wondering what would be a good guitar for him, he doesnt play alot, so nothing to expensive. Just something better than a crappy squire bullet he has currently. I was thinking maybe a c1 hellraiser, with floyd? Since trey uses alot of whammy tricks. Bear in mind hes really tall, and so has big hands, consequently a slightly chunkier neck will suit him better. Anyway could you guys just chuck some ideas around.

Cheers
Music is the holy grail, sod wine water and the blood of jesus
I would agree with the c1 hellraiser, but he if he's not to committed he may not like the hassle of a floyd.
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
good call man, I'm 6'2''-6'3'' and I know the neck on my jackson feels like its gonna break when i play it, Floyds are good but you gotta choose what tuning it'll be in or else your ****ed you can't exactly tune them that easily
What's the max. ammount he's willing to spend?

My Youtube Page

I wrote this story so many days ago
and the words kept falling onto pages.
Without the loss we can't go on
and with the loss we became strong.

Hellraiser isnt exactly a beginner guitar, but it is a great guitar, high quality. Sounds like an excellent choice.

Could also consider Jackson DK2M or maybe .
No beginner should ever get a floating trem, they're far too much hassle to deal with both in terms of maintenance and also simply how they affect the way you play. There's no way a beginner is going to be able to learn to palm-mute on a floyd, they'll be too heavy handed. That goes double if he's going to be detuning...a floyd is going to be far too frustrating.

Your friend isn't going to be in a position to be incorporating whammy tricks into his playing for a good year or so, he can get a guitar with a Floyd then. Tell him to get the Ibanez RG321MH if he want's an above-average entry level guitar, if he wants to spend a bit more maybe a Washburn X50 pro or Ibanez SZ.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
maybe some 7 String stuff for his big hands?
Guitars/Basses:
-Ibanez SZ-520QM (D-Sonic/Air Norton)
-Ibanez RG-370
-ESP ltd B-55
Amps/Effects/Rig:
-Engl E530 + 930/60 Poweramp
-POD X3L
well trey his idol uses whammy bar tricks a bit, and he usually tune to Eb, not really changing tunings

What about something with a vintage trem so he can just muck about a little bit?
Quote by Varkunus
trey azorgoth

Trey Azagthoth.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
you know who i mean? So any any HH config guitars, which are decent with a vintage trem?
Quote by Varkunus
well trey his idol uses whammy bar tricks a bit, and he usually tune to Eb, not really changing tunings

What about something with a vintage trem so he can just muck about a little bit?

The two guitars that come to mind are the Ibanez SA260 and Yamaha PAC412V. They're both equal in my book and the differences are mainly the looks. The tremolo on the Ibanez is supposed to be slightly better, while some people will argue that the Yamaha sounds a tad better. Overall they're both good. They work for metal, but are not designed to be used with the gain cranked to 11. Best is to try them out.

Links:
http://www.thomann.de/gb/ibanez_sa260fmamb.htm
http://www.thomann.de/gb/yamaha_pacifica_412vovs.htm

EDIT: The only HH guitar with a vintage trem that comes to mind is the Ibanez Sa120, but I haven't tried that one yet and I'm not sure how good it's SAT PRO 2 bridge is.

You can get equally good guitars without a tremolo though for less money. Tell your friend to look at the RG321 Steven suggested. It has a mahogany body with two humbuckers - exactly what you need for metal.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Jun 28, 2008,
There's no point worrying about a tremolo if you want to play metal and do whammy tricks - it's not going to hold tuning with that kind of abuse. Far better to start with a hardtail and get a floyd equipped guitar when the time comes to splurge on a second guitar.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
My first guitar (still my current) had a floating bridge and it drove me crazy, i tightened the claw in the back to un-float it xD. Floyd Rose at this stage as steven seagull says isn't worth it =P
/CENTER]