hi
im wondering if my EMG actives would sound good with a peavey valveking 112
i mostly play heavy metal/thash/death metal
Quote by closertofreewil
I officially hate you SBLAKELELY.

PSN ID: blakerz92
add me
Maybe EMG's + VK + overdrive

The EMG's won't get you there alone though.

Well maybe thrash/heavy, but for death metal, I would also recommend an OD
Well I would suggest trying it out yourself to tell you the truth, it's the best option.
wtf

he asked the question "will active emgs sound good with a valveking"

not tell me how i can make my valveking do death metal.

for ****s sake some people are annoying on this site.
Quote by scooby snacks
wtf

You on the rag or something?

Yes he did indeed ask that question ,and he also said "i mostly play heavy metal/thash/death metal"

Reading between the lines, that kind of implies that he'll want his valveking to do, amongst other things, "death metal", and that the proposed purchase of EMG's is with a view to accomplishing that goal.

Therefore I'm sure he'll welcome any advice people have to offer on the subject.

Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I've heard that EMGs don't really work that well with the VK, but I've never tried that personally. Why not go to guitar center and try a Zakk wylde LP on the VK to find out before you buy?
Quote by blind.quardian
How will emgs work with a modeller amp like micro cube?

It won't sound any different then any other pickup. You only hear the difference between pickups on a mid-high end amp.
Actually, I have to say, that if you play high-gain music, the R-fier will sound a lot better with higher output (and of course better) pickups. With the stock single coils of a Squier strat (aka. crap pickups) it's outright terrible, with a Hot Rails it's a lot better, and with a good humbucker it's great.

(that's from my personal experience with a Microcube)
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Ok i will probably never gonna change my amp again so i will go modifying my guitar maybe... a passive or active pickup would be better?
Quote by babyboo666
It won't sound any different then any other pickup. You only hear the difference between pickups on a mid-high end amp.

Idiot.

EMGs, in my experience, sound like utter crap on Cubes. Any decent set of passive humbuckers will do you fine for metal on a Cube.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Quote by timi_hendrix

Idiot.

EMGs, in my experience, sound like utter crap on Cubes. Any decent set of passive humbuckers will do you fine for metal on a Cube.

+1. Active pickups don't sound good on modelling amps. A few Line 6 guys used to complain about crazy feedback with actives, and noisegating didn't help.
PRS SE SC ♦ Dean Cadi ♦ Squier Strat ♦ Crate V5 ♦ AXL Akita AT30 ♦ Alhambra 4P ♦ Takamine f-349 ♦ Goodall KCJ
Boss ME-20 ♦ Monteallums modded TS9DX ♦ DOD Grunge ♦ #1Echo ♦
Quote by scooby snacks
wtf

gtfo.
EMGs are good... I like them.
If you like the sound of EMGs and want an edgier tone through the VK I say go for it.

What sort of guitar is this?
Epiphone Les Paul goldtop (EMG 81/85)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Telecaster MIM
Epiphone SG Special
Jay Turser JT200 Serpent (GFS Crunchy Rails/Crunchy Pat)
Dean V-Coustic
Ovation Celebrity
Bugera 333-212
Crate Blue Voodoo 120H
I use Emg's on my VK and it sounds fine, it sounds like typical active emg's and gives a bit of a boost so you can accomplish metal at tad bit easier like any high output pickup would.

Also usually actives are better for tube amps so if you go with SS or a modeler i would get passives. My old valvestate marshall used to hate my emg's...
Go with an EMG bridge, a passive neck, and go the 18V mod on the EMG.
Get new tubes soon as you do.
If you can, find a guy who matches old american tubes.
I get mine from a guy who goes through old radios, TVs, anything with tubes, finds the EL84s, 6L6s and 12ax7s and then matches the power on them, sells them as sets for tube amps.
Please do not insinuate anything sexual from that.

Quote by cobain_is_king
If your friends don't like your guitar, cover it in stickers and it'll be teh rawks!
Quote by Iansmitchell
I get mine from a guy who goes through old radios, TVs, anything with tubes, finds the EL84s, 6L6s and 12ax7s and then matches the power on them, sells them as sets for tube amps.

You do realize you cant just slap in a passive and active and expect them to work there's alot of behind the scenes stuff to get them to work properly.
Quote by IbanezPsycho
You do realize you cant just slap in a passive and active and expect them to work there's alot of behind the scenes stuff to get them to work properly.

Yeah, individual volume and 500k pots, sure they're not gonna match with both at 10.
Please do not insinuate anything sexual from that.

Quote by cobain_is_king
If your friends don't like your guitar, cover it in stickers and it'll be teh rawks!
Quote by Iansmitchell

mixing passives and actives is not very fun, more work than it's worth really IMO.
Guitar:
Schecter Omen 6 (Dimarzio X2N & Tone Zone)
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 Cab
Quote by Iansmitchell
Yeah, individual volume and 500k pots, sure they're not gonna match with both at 10.

No.
Actives use 25k pots and passives use 250k or 500k.
There's a lot of tricks to get them to work right.
The easiest way is to keep them separate all the way to the toggle, and you'll be fine with each pickup alone, but they may sound stupid together.
Well. There is no reason to have actives and passives in the same guitar.
Epiphone Les Paul goldtop (EMG 81/85)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Telecaster MIM
Epiphone SG Special
Jay Turser JT200 Serpent (GFS Crunchy Rails/Crunchy Pat)
Dean V-Coustic
Ovation Celebrity
Bugera 333-212
Crate Blue Voodoo 120H