Page 1 of 2
Well, I've seen enough posts that suggest to me this thread won't be closed. After all, Bowie was arguably pretty influential on both protopunk and punk directly. He worked with Lou Reed, Iggy Pop, and Marc Bolan to name a few, and was worshiped by the Bromley Contingent over in England.

Favorite Bowie time period(s)?

^^Bowie and William S. Burroughs being uber p0nx together.
DOWN&OUT
+1 on this thread.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
ChangesOneBowie is my Resident Evil 4 soundtrack
Edwards Les Paul Custom
Burny SG Junior
DIY Telecaster
Keeley RAT 2
Marshall JCM 800 4104
Labyrinth = Ponx
They say the old woman's got the wisdom
'Cause she couldn't read the clock anymore
She said "The numbers don't represent the moments"
Says she don't see what all the ticking's for
No. David Bowie's package in Labyrinth = p0nx.

I think Hunky Dory is my favorite Bowie album but I haven't even come close to hearing them all.

Also, It's funny how the front of Burroughs's tie is the same length at both ends...
Quote by Iluvpowerchords

Huh...maybe I'll have to watch that movie again. Memory fails me at the moment.
They say the old woman's got the wisdom
'Cause she couldn't read the clock anymore
She said "The numbers don't represent the moments"
Says she don't see what all the ticking's for
The second I saw David Bowie in the topic title, I knew it had to be Jett who posted this. And I was right, I'm like Criss Angel.

Anyway, I'm not a big Bowie fan. Actually I'm not much of a protopunk fan.
Quote by Iluvpowerchords

+1!

That is an awesome picture with Burroughs though. My least favorite beat lulz

But my favorite Bowie album is Low no doubt about it. It has everything, that good ol' proto-punk feel with the touch of the post-punk to come. Eat your heart out 'She Wants Revenge'!

Love me some Bowie
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
My dream is to start a band/solo project under the name Prettier Than Bowie.
And clenching your fist for the ones like us
Who are oppressed by the figures of beauty,
You fixed yourself, you said, "Well, never mind,
We are ugly, but we have the music."
You guys aren't making a good argument for ourselves not allowing Green Day / Offspring / Blink 182 threads when you're making fucking david bowie threads...

I never really saw the appeal in all those "proto punk" bands/artists... I can't get into them and I probably never will.
Every Bowie time period is the best Bowie period. Even his terrible foray into industrial. It was awesome, because it was F*CKIN DAVID BOWIE.
Quote by RockThe40oz
You guys aren't making a good argument for ourselves not allowing Green Day / Offspring / Blink 182 threads when you're making fucking david bowie threads...

I never really saw the appeal in all those "proto punk" bands/artists... I can't get into them and I probably never will.

I agree with that part, although I disagree about proto-punk.
Quote by RockThe40oz

Yeah the first part was spot on brother

but the second part fails miserably
I love all forms of Rock 'n' Roll, past and NOT present
I did Ziggy Stardust at karaoke last night.

All the ladies would have wanted my body after, but it was a lesbian bar.
I'm surprised you didn't convert a few.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by RockThe40oz

I disagree. Bowie was a key part of the protopunk scene. Iggy, Dolls, and Lou Reed are all allowed in here, why not Bowie? Plus we let pop punk like the Queers, Screeching Weasel, and Jawbreaker (oh I went there!) slide, even though they should clearly be in the pop punk forum.
If I posted in the classic rock forum, I'd get a load of tools responding with a few decent replies. Here, I get something worthwhile.

I agree Doolittle, Low is definitely one of my absolute favorites. I can hardly figure it out though, which one is my favorite. Always changes, which is definitely a good thing.
DOWN&OUT
Quote by Jett Diamond
I disagree. Bowie was a key part of the protopunk scene. Iggy, Dolls, and Lou Reed are all allowed in here, why not Bowie? Plus we let pop punk like the Queers, Screeching Weasel, and Jawbreaker (oh I went there!) slide, even though they should clearly be in the pop punk forum.
If I posted in the classic rock forum, I'd get a load of tools responding with a few decent replies. Here, I get something worthwhile.

I agree Doolittle, Low is definitely one of my absolute favorites. I can hardly figure it out though, which one is my favorite. Always changes, which is definitely a good thing.

Basically, what you're saying is that it's ok to have bands that influenced punk, but not bands that were influenced by punk... which I think is silly... because we have plenty of folk punk bands being mentioned that aren't really punk either.. And then god damned jawbreaker.. you have no idea how sick I am of hearing about jawbreaker in this forum while people completely trash anti-flag or rise against... christ...

You're just proving a point that a lot of bands are accepted here that aren't punk... but then there are certain bands that are completely trashed for not being punk and have been banned from this forum. You can't justify that when you're contributing to the hypocrisy.
The early and late 70s, the glam and Berlin eras were the best Bowie. He's probably my favorite music artist ever.

Oh yeah and next year at the school talent show me and about 20 other kids are planning to do Prettiest Star, accapella
Quote by Guns N' r0ses
I think its 18 in california but I'm just wonderin cuz if i get caught then I can be like "well legally im allowed to watch it" and they'll be like "k koo"
There's a Jonas Brothers thread in Pop Punk & Emo, an Avenged Sevenfold thread in hardcore, so I think there can be a Bowie thread here. The subforums are more or less split up by the tastes of the regulars, rather than by genres like intended, but you all knew that already.
And clenching your fist for the ones like us
Who are oppressed by the figures of beauty,
You fixed yourself, you said, "Well, never mind,
We are ugly, but we have the music."
Uh, man I don't give a shit what gets posted in here. I'm never the one ragging on those posts. So no I'm not contributing to hypocrisy; I'm the problem.

I mean, I think it makes sense to discuss the roots of punk (especially cause I don't even listen to punk music, mainly protopunk, so where the hell else am I gonna discuss it?) as without the foundation, it's questionable that the outcome would have been the same, y'know? In many sense of the word, the Velvet Underground could be considered one of the first punk bands. But if you throw down every band who takes punk influence, we'd be discussing bands like Metallica or Slayer just because they covered a Minor Threat song, even though they clearly have their own forum.

I mean, whatever, I don't care. If this doesn't belong here, close it, but I figured enough people on this forum dug him, and that he was influential enough for it be okay.

EDIT: It's pretty much the same deal: why are ska and reggae discussed in here? They have so little to do with punk. The Casualties and Bob Marley in the same forum? Who cares. They're just loose guidelines.
DOWN&OUT
Last edited by Jett Diamond at Jun 28, 2008,
Quote by original=punk
I fail to see how folk punk isn't punk.
It isn't punk rock, but that doesn't mean it isn't punk.

There are a lot of "folk punk" bands that do have punk tones in their music..

and then there are a lot of "folk punk" bands that are just folk artists..

Being DIY and a contributing member to your community does not automatically make your music punk..

Keep in mind I say this as a person that listens to a lot of Mischief Brew

EDIT: Jett, this isn't meant to be a personal attack.. it's just that recently we've had people complaining about us not allowing those bands influenced by punk that have almost punk-sounding music while we talk about bands like jawbreaker and artists like David Bowie...

I mean, you can talk about the foundations of punk, but where does it end? Foundations build foundations build foundations... So what you're saying about talking about metallica or slayer goes the other way too. Slayer was influenced by punk... and then they influenced a bunch of thrash bands.. and a lot of punks like thrash music... and thrash influenced a bunch of crust bands... therefore, slayer could be the foundation of a lot of punk/thrash/crust bands...

I don't really know where I'm going with this anymore.. I just wanted to point out that these people coming in and calling us elitists and saying that we unjustly crucify some bands (like rise against, for example) do have somewhat of a point..
Last edited by RockThe40oz at Jun 28, 2008,
I listened to Rise Against while driving today.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Quote by original=punk
Folk Punk is called folk punk due to it's Folk sound and punk attitudes. 'Nuff said.

Folk artists have pretty much ALWAYS had a punk attitude... there's no reason to append the word "punk" to any band whose members have a "punk attitude"

Also... I like the Rise Against cd "Revolutions per Minute" .... and I've owned every Anti-Flag up to and including Terror State.... and enjoyed them at various times... and still listen to them on occasion.
Quote by RockThe40oz
Basically, what you're saying is that it's ok to have bands that influenced punk, but not bands that were influenced by punk... which I think is silly... because we have plenty of folk punk bands being mentioned that aren't really punk either.. And then god damned jawbreaker.. you have no idea how sick I am of hearing about jawbreaker in this forum while people completely trash anti-flag or rise against... christ...

You're just proving a point that a lot of bands are accepted here that aren't punk... but then there are certain bands that are completely trashed for not being punk and have been banned from this forum. You can't justify that when you're contributing to the hypocrisy.

Although I don't think Jett is part of the problem, (he's not that picky about genre classification) there is a lot of hypocrisy here.

I understand why The Offspring shouldn't have a thread here. There's already a huge Offspring thread in PP&E. But there were three different NOFX threads in PP&E before there was one here. Why are they allowed here? What about Screeching Weasel and The Queers? Where does one draw the line between "pop-punk bands that can also be considered punk" and "pop-rock bands that we call pop-punk to appease(sp?) their ignorant fans?"

BTW, there are nine Bowie threads in the Classic Rock forum.

As far as proto-punk goes, I think The Stooges belong here. They have more in common with punk than with any other genre. But I think Bowie belongs in CR. The Velvet Underground fits in nicely in Alt & Indie, IMO. As much as I love Richard Hell and the Voidoids and Television, I think they belong in Alt & Indie too.
Last edited by werty22 at Jun 28, 2008,
Quote by werty22
Although I don't think Jett is part of the problem, (he's not that picky about genre classification) there is a lot of hypocrisy here.

Yeah, I didn't mean to take it out specifically on Jett, because I know he's not one of the ones causing the trouble.

I guess I've always been kind of annoyed by the personal attacks and the hypocrisy of this forum, and ever once in a while it comes out.
I actually haven't heard David Bowie past the songs Ziggy Stardust and Man Who Sold the World.

Recommendations?
This thread is being unnecessarily silly.

Oh yeah, and the Berlin trilogy are probably my faves, but I like em all for different reasons.
Love Bowie, but if the Descendents can't be on here, surely this would be better in the classic rock forum..? If the argument was over then just ignore this.
Quote by pinheadslts75
I actually haven't heard David Bowie past the songs Ziggy Stardust and Man Who Sold the World.

Recommendations?

Listen way past that. Tis overrated, IMO. The Berlin Trilogy are amazing albums (you'd probably really dig the songs Blackout or Always Crashing in the Same Car) and Stay and Aladdin Sane are excellent too. Aladdin Sane actually has a lot in common with punk, for the sake of those bothered by this thread.

Christina, if this thread doesn't belong here, just close it. I don't feel like discussing it in classic rock.
DOWN&OUT
Quote by Pott
Love Bowie, but if the Descendents can't be on here, surely this would be better in the classic rock forum..? If the argument was over then just ignore this.
The Descendants can go here.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Page 1 of 2