Ive Been playing for 7 Months today ; happy anniversary.

And ive hit a wall, id say I'm ahead of the curve, you can disagree with me, i don't care, I'm not playing guitar for the ' OMG I CAN SHREDZ EVERY1 LOOK ' status.

I want to improve my speed,endurance and general finger dexterity.

i know many advanced techniques ( P.H,Vibrato,Tapping,Alt Picking, ETC )
i do 20 minutes sweep picking work a night, its slowly paying off, but i don't want to waste my time learning to sweep when i can progress faster another way.

Starting next week i will have a teacher, he should steer me right.

but for now can anybody recommend me what i should attempt to learn next? maiunly including speed exercises?

I can play Six - All That remains, its probably one of the fastest songs i know, and im still attempting to learn the solo.

Thanks for any help given!
Quote by Flow of soul
Do you know any music theory?

To An Extent, I'm brushing up on my modes as we speak

I Know about 14 chords, i know all notes on a guitar, how they work, how to tune etc

all the basics, any ideas where to go from there?
Learn the major scale and also how to construct chords...read the Crusade articles in the Columns section. Forget modes, you're not ready for them yet if you only know 14 chords.

And concentrate on using your ears, make sure you focus on listening to what you play - remember the goal of playing the guitar is to create sounds, not perform actions ; )

There's no such thing as "speed exercises", they're a fallacy. All you can work on is improving your accuracy, that's something you can control and improve. You can't work on speed, if you try to play faster you'll just screw up.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Jun 28, 2008,
Quote by steven seagull
Learn the major scale and also how to construct chords...read the Crusade articles in the Columns section. Forget modes, you're not ready for them yet if you only know 14 chords.

And concentrate on using your ears, make sure you focus on listening to what you play - remember the goal of playing the guitar is to create sounds, not perform actions ; )

There's no such thing as "speed exercises", they're a fallacy. All you can work on is improving your accuracy, that's something you can control and improve. You can't work on speed, if you try to play faster you'll just screw up.

I know how to construct chords around roots,

i know the Major Scale CDEFGABC T-T-H-T-T-T-H

Dorian mode etc

i actually only know 10 chords, i'd learn more but i don't know which to learn next!
Still doesn't look from that like you actually understand an awful lot about the major scale, other than simply learning the pattern of intervals and the notes of C major which isn't an awful lot - how well do you actually understand how it works, and how well can you use it?

Correct me if I'm assuming wrong there, but I simply can't see how anyone with a fairly decent knowledge of the major scale wouldn't know shedloads of chords by default.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com