While reading a topic earlier today someone mentioned that active pickups will sound the same, if you play it on an Epiphone or a Gibson. Unlike passive pickups that also sound diffrently depending on the type of wood the guitar is made out of etc.

Lets say I own a cheap guitar (in this case a BC Rich) and im happy with how it plays, would it be worth slapping on a pair of EMG's on it?
Quote by Demonazzz
I prefer barbed wire strings. I find I can get the most br00t41 tonez with it.
Depends if you have a decent amp. No significant point wasting money on pick-ups that could go towards a great amp.

Active pick-ups do not make all guitars sound the same, because theoretically you would be able to get the same tone out of a tissue box with elastic bands as with a PRS Custom 22.
Last edited by Horlicks at Jun 28, 2008,
IMO yes. i had an 81/85 set laying around from when i took them out of my viper so i put the 81 in the bridge of my brothers strat and now it sustains for days.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
You've already answered your own question.

If you're already happy with it, why splash out extra cash?

Put the cash aside for a new guitar.
Quote by Individuo
You've already answered your own question.

If you're already happy with it, why splash out extra cash?

Put the cash aside for a new guitar.

I guess, just had to make sure. Wouldn't want to sacrifice sound quality for good looks

Quote by Horlicks
Depends if you have a decent amp. No significant point wasting money on pick-ups that could go towards a great amp.

True, tho I'm looking at changing my whole setup in the near future. So for arguments sake lets say that I have the best amp / head combo possible
Quote by Demonazzz
I prefer barbed wire strings. I find I can get the most br00t41 tonez with it.
Quote by Ghold125
if you have the best amp/head, why would you want to change your pups?

For better sound... I'm guessing he's playing a cheap B.C. Rich, which don't sound so great in my opinion.
Quote by Ghold125
if you have the best amp/head, why would you want to change your pups?

Why not? It only can get better.