I have a good friend of mine who is a seriously awesome bassist. hes probably the best bassist from a technical standpoint ... the only problem is that his ears are a bit closed. as in he doesnt really listen to anything apart from rock. i mean like all he listens to is muse, rchp and possibly racer X (though i got him 2 listen to that :p.

Now heres the thing. i know its impossible to change someones playlist, but what would be good to listen to metal at the start. i know he only likes music which is catchy and built on like 2-3 solid riffs. so i guess that kinda excludes prog. but what would u do to influence someone to listen to metal?
Just introduce him to new music

dont be a dick about it...everyone changes their tastes over time

eg...i went from Blink 182 to megadeth, to Opeth to Necrophagist to Chic Corea to Charlie Parker, to Hardcore dance music, electro, trance and drum and base
ease them into it, so some easy stuff first, then the hardcore stuff l8er.

and also...

muse? rock?!
Stand up and cheer if you like SimCity

Play Up Pompey, Pompey Play Up
THE WiLDHEARTS

Quote by goest
I'm going to take this opportunity to initiate my campaign to replace the phrase "Taking a shit" with "Busting a grumpy."
Well don't force him into something he doesn't want to do (lulz straight out of relationship thread).
Just keep playing what you want to play in jamming sessions e.t.c and see if he jams along. If he seems to like it say "hey you're playing this stuff pretty good, check this out"...*present a CD*

tadaa.

Quote by SlipknotRule93
muse? rock?!

Yeah they're kinda alternative/progressive rock really
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Start with the classic 80's bands, dude. Try some Metallica, some Pantera, maybe some Megadeth. Anything along those lines, maybe even Black Sabbath'll get him into the metal, seeing as they're the originals.

Try not to get him into anything rough or fast just yet. It has to be a slow conversion. Sneak some of the aforementioned bands' songs into a conversation, or hell, even his playlist on his computer or something. But remember; nothing too heavy at first.
I come from the net. My format? Guardian. To mend and defend; to defend my new-found friends - their hopes and dreams; to defend them from their enemies.
Metallica's first 3/(4) albums,

Kill 'em All
Ride The Lightning
Master of Puppets
(...And Justice For All)

Metallica songs generally dont have that many riffs, they're catchy, and Cliff Burton plays pretty simple bass, but it works in the context of Metallica, for example Orion on Master of Puppets.

All of Rage Against the Machine's albums, big Tim Commerford, Groove Riffs left, right and centre.
show him early Judas Priest
Sad Wings of Destiny stuff

like Tyrant or Deceiver
Quote by mitchells_mom
I totally agree with LegionsOfDeath

Quote by Ovenman
Photoshop is for n00bs. Real men use MS paint.

tr00f
Why does ever guitar player need to listen to metal? get him into other styles of music like jazz or blues. or trying listening to what he likes instead
Show him Judas Priest.

Give him a copy of British Steel and he'll love metal!
Also Van Halen if he plays guitar.

Early Iron Maiden and Sabbath would just be good as well.
I'll tell you this...
If you don't like metal, you're never gonna like it.
Cause if you don't like metal it means you're more of a gentle and romantic person...
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
Just intorduce him to bands with similar triats and go from there. Like for rhcp, see if he's listend to songs from their first album and maybe he'll get a greater liking for funk, and then that can open up more doors. For muse, show him the plethora of prog bands like dream theater, opeth which could open him up to more metal, and bands like rush could show him more classic rock bands. as for racer-x, im not really sure since ive never got into them, but you get my idea

edit: itll take a lot of time, and dont try to force it down his throat
Quote by grungemusic
Why does ever guitar player need to listen to metal? get him into other styles of music like jazz or blues. or trying listening to what he likes instead

Why does everyone on this site seem to think that the only styles other than Metal are Jazz and Blues?! You might not think this but I don't care now that I've started this rant!

People on this site also think it's "mature" and sophisticated to like Jazz and Blues. Anyone on here ever heard of Dance, Rap, Calypso or ANYTHING other than Metal, Jazz and Blues. GARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR (and that's coming from a guy who...i'm afraid to say without sounding like a twat, actually likes old skool blues)
Quote by third-eye
what's wrong with him not listening to metal, exactly?

well i want him to be in the band im in. my current bassist is pretty good but he lacks something. though i think it might just be the versatility. cos the current bassist only listens to metal. like he wouldnt even have a porcupine tree song. all he would have is arch enemy and similar stuff, (cant really think off the top of my head).

+ my friend is a lot more techy than him. the current bassist plays.. well lets just say hes not too creative in the bass department. though i admire him as a vocalist/ songwriter (good growling/ alright riffs)

Quote by grungemusic

I listen to my fair share of jazz and blues. i just like listening to white noise thats all
that said, i dont think everyone needs to listen 2 metal. they just need to stop listening to bullshait artists who call themselves artists... like rappers... why are they considered as musicians. all they do is talk fast along a clicktrack in 4/4.

Quote by Kozlic
I'll tell you this...
Cause if you don't like metal it means you're more of a gentle and romantic person...

I agree with u at times. but then again thats just me. i am not really that much of a violent guy apart from my violent anger vents. but the guy im trying 2 change is quite an angry person sometimes
Last edited by kai2demax at Jun 28, 2008,
There's no law against only listening to one genre.

For a while I only listened to Queen, then I broadened out into Iron Maiden, and now I listen to everything.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
Muse and RHCP have ****ing brilliant basslines, so why bother getting him to ****ing play the bass note of repetitive ****ty metal riffs?

Let him do his own thing.
Quote by Kozlic
I'll tell you this...

Faaaiiiiillll.

I really doubt every metalhead has liked metal ever since they were born. I know I didn't always like metal, and if I'd heard Deicide or Morbid Angel before I'd gotten into metal I know I would have hated it.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
i got my friend who was into all rap and Kid Rock to switch to metal.
how?
I introduced him to SlipKnot.
Crazy, eh?
Quote by MoshMaster101
Muse and RHCP have ****ing brilliant basslines, so why bother getting him to ****ing play the bass note of repetitive ****ty metal riffs?

Let him do his own thing.

Go listen to tech death and tell me it's a boring bass line.

TS: start with melodeath or groove metal, like Pantera or COB (God I can't believe I just rec'd COB). Then move to heavy stuff.