Hiya guys,

Okay I've just seen a video of myself playing at a small venue. I thought I sounded pretty good, but my appearance on stage isn't working too well...

I need some help to make me look somewhat like a guitarist rather than a bored guy playing some chords.

Any tips???

Cheers
jump around, i mean im kind of disappointed in my local bands theyre young and sposed to be energetic, but they do the same thing as you , cant wait to get an band myself, id jumparound and shizzz
Quote by roast
Cool, thanks Lagrance.

Randall Rx15
Ibanez Rg321Mh
Musima 25K Deluxe
Zoom 505 II
pretend your guitar is a hot woman with a vagina on the back. and you have 30 seconds to live.
Quote by Mr. La Fritz

Squirrels are fluffy bits of gay.

Quote by LordPino
My penis is so big it has its own hands.
Don't be you onstage, Alice Cooper is Alice Cooper onstage, not when he is golfing. Not many guillotines on the golf course. Catch my drift. But don't ride an ego either. Dr. Jekyl , Mr. Hyde type thing. tear some sh** up literally onstage, easier said than done I know.
Quote by Lagrance
jump around, i mean im kind of disappointed in my local bands theyre young and sposed to be energetic, but they do the same thing as you , cant wait to get an band myself, id jumparound and shizzz

It was only a small stage, and there wasn't much room to maneuver... but I see where you're coming from.
Quote by dark_gilbert
pretend your guitar is a hot woman with a vagina on the back.

lol, Iron maiden tend to shag their guitars a lot like that

move around the stage more and just loosen up and enjoy it, you'll find stage presence comes naturally if you are having fun
Quote by griffRG7321
become a circumsizer, you get like £60,000 a year + tips.

Quote by Flying Couch
Because I'm not aerodynamic. All the other airborne furniture laugh at me.

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
Quote by Lagrance

+1 on the first part

-1 on the shizzing on stage though.

ozzy went and bit stuff and he's remembered for that. do you wanna be remembered as the shizzer?
Quote by Duff_McGee
Everyone knows that the day the Metallica ends, the world ends.
Quote by Lagrance

It really depends on what genre you play. Wouldn't be suitable for a jazz band really. And I personally don't care much about stage presence. As long as the singer has it, and it's nice if the drummer does a few stick tricks/other guitarist or bassist have a bit of stage presence, I don't think people should worry much.

Walk around a bit, and kind of lean back a bit I guess, like Satriani, and just kind of move with the music. That's what I do.

Don't do this
Quote by griffRG7321
become a circumsizer, you get like £60,000 a year + tips.

Quote by Flying Couch
Because I'm not aerodynamic. All the other airborne furniture laugh at me.

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
Quote by joshua029
+1 on the first part

-1 on the shizzing on stage though.

ozzy went and bit stuff and he's remembered for that. do you wanna be remembered as the shizzer?

yes.

/thread
you dont necessarily have to jump around like a maniac. if you "move to the groove", as it were, and stay loose then you should look fine. dont be static and just stand around; move your whole body the way you feel it should move to the particular song, bearing in mind that you still have to play the right notes.

also, walking around can help - dont stand still in one position unless you are playing a difficult part. and when you do stand still after the moving, it will look fine because you have been moving around for the whole rest of the set.
Quote by mh.666
This man is right.

My life in all aspects is going fucking brilliantly, so I just thought I'd offer a cyncial scrap of wisdom, gloat a little, and then leave.
Just don't be scared of looking like an arsehole.

You look like an arsehole if you stand still on stage, so go crazy.
Go naked.
Quote by Arthur Curry
it's official, vintage x metal is the saving grace of this board and/or the antichrist

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

have fun with it, ignore the crowd, pretend you're in your room jamming to whatever your favorite band is.

If you're into it, the crowds into it. Simple as that.
Veteran UGer. Suck it.
I think short haired Jason Newstead is a good example of a decent but not over the top stage presence. He doesn't walk around a lot but has a decent stance and he's into the music with his entire body.

Sometimes people praise me because they think I look so "professional" on stage playing guitar. You just need confidence as a guitar player and the rest will come naturally I guess.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
Just pull off a load of stunts! Jump around, scale things, pretend to sexually violate the front man, jump into the crowd whilst soloing... just do what-ever's possible really.
When I used to play shows, I made sure that I could play the songs very well w my eyes closed and in the dark. The only way you can rly let loose is if you know you'll play the right thing and that it'll sound perfect.
♥xx♥

As everyone else has said, just feel the music when you play it.

Provided you know the chords well enough to not have to look down at the guitar [which I'm hoping is true if you're playing on stage], then just close your eyes and picture whatever mellows you out; or if the song is fast-paced and energetic think of something that makes you want to move around.
you can look at the fretboard as long as you move around etc. i think Jimmy Page is a good example of what i mean because he does poser-ish things but in a solo he stands still but keeps on grooving.
Quote by mh.666
This man is right.

My life in all aspects is going fucking brilliantly, so I just thought I'd offer a cyncial scrap of wisdom, gloat a little, and then leave.
well, i've never done a gig, but watching video's of myself over the years, i think it just comes with time.

just kind of be yourself man, but let loose a bit.
Jesus wouldn't give you the sweat off of his balls if you were dying of thirst.
Quote by Code-E
God, you've gotta be UG's only moron!

Quote by magnum1117
that's right,you certainly are UG's only moron.

Quote by necrosis1193
Read the moron's posts, ironically enough he knows what he says.