So my band was writing this riff yesterday and we thought it would be cool to harmonize this section. I was wondering if someone could help me out with this. I know how to harmonize some, but I dont know which options would be the best for this riff(like 3rds, 5ths, or whatever)

Heres the riff

E---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
B---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
G---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
D---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A---------6-6-6--------5-5-5----3-3---------6-6-6---------5-5-5-----------
E--5-5-5--------3-3-3-------6-6-----5-5-5---------3-3-3---------6-6-1-1-

They are all 8th notes, low e string palm muted.
epiphone les paul standard
peavey bandit 112
peavey rage 158
squier stagemaster fr

trueguitarhero
-You don't seem to realize that heaven and hell are just delusions created to control the masses through fear and false promises.
I know this isn't really helpful in the sense that I am not giving you an answer, but shouldn't you just play it with different intervals, and get everyone in the bands opinion on what sounds best.
for a middle voice, use the 3rd. in a lot of music, the 3rd appears in the middle voice more than anything
Would it be harmonising if you played it na octave higher?

(Just a suggestion because im wondering too.)

xx
Nathy
Quote by Kilimacory
for a middle voice, use the 3rd. in a lot of music, the 3rd appears in the middle voice more than anything

the middle voice, as in lower on the neck? I see 3rds a lot on the high strings like during a solo harmony section.
peavey bandit 112
peavey rage 158
squier stagemaster fr

trueguitarhero
-You don't seem to realize that heaven and hell are just delusions created to control the masses through fear and false promises.
so if im harmonizing in 3rds, would this be correct?

E----------------------------------------
B----------------------------------------
G----------------------------------------
D----------------------------------------
A---------6-6-6--------5-5-5----3-3-
E--5-5-5--------3-3-3-------6-6-----

and harmonizing the A string notes(except for A#)..

D---------4-4-4--------3-3-3-----1-1-
A-------------------------------4-4-----
E--5-5-5--------3-3-3-----------------
peavey bandit 112
peavey rage 158
squier stagemaster fr

trueguitarhero
Quote by liquidknowledg4

That's harmonising entirely in minor 3rds. What you need to do is harmonise by the third degree of the scale, so 2 notes up the scale. Make sure that the notes you are using for the harmony part are still in key. So, for your riff, harmonising in 3rds would be this:

D---------5-5-5--------3-3-3-----1-1-----
A-----------------------------5-5--------
E--5-5-5--------3-3-3--------------------

Obviously the As and Gs you're playing on the low E string aren't harmonised, which is what you were going for, I'm guessing.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
Last edited by duncang at Jun 29, 2008,
Quote by liquidknowledg4

D----------------------------------------
A---------6-6-6--------5-5-5----3-3-
E--5-5-5--------3-3-3-------6-6-----

and harmonizing the A string notes(except for A#)..

D---------4-4-4--------3-3-3-----1-1-
A-------------------------------4-4-----
E--5-5-5--------3-3-3-----------------
I'm not sure if you realize this or not, but harmony means playing one note at the same time as another note. Two notes playing at once in *harmony* (actually it doesnt have to be 2 notes, it can be any number of notes)

Thirds and sixths generally work best. Fifths and fourths sort of deindividualises the instruments playing the harmony, as the sound doesnt sound that much different (except it would obviously sound a little fuller). Seconds and sevenths sound like crap and should be avoided at all costs.
Quote by duncang
That's harmonising entirely in minor 3rds. What you need to do is harmonise by the third degree of the scale, so 2 notes up the scale. Make sure that the notes you are using for the harmony part are still in key. So, for your riff, harmonising in 3rds would be this:

D---------5-5-5--------3-3-3-----1-1-----
A-----------------------------5-5--------
E--5-5-5--------3-3-3--------------------

Obviously the As and Gs you're playing on the low E string aren't harmonised, which is what you were going for, I'm guessing.

ok well thats the problem... I have no idea what scale that riff is based around. If it were just like E minor I could figure that out, but I dont know what scale it is. How did you figure that out?

btw thanks.
peavey bandit 112
peavey rage 158
squier stagemaster fr

trueguitarhero
Quote by liquidknowledg4
ok well thats the problem... I have no idea what scale that riff is based around. If it were just like E minor I could figure that out, but I dont know what scale it is. How did you figure that out?
It's the G natural minor scale.
Quote by demonofthenight
Thirds and sixths generally work best. Fifths and fourths sort of deindividualises the instruments playing the harmony, as the sound doesnt sound that much different (except it would obviously sound a little fuller). Seconds and sevenths sound like crap and should be avoided at all costs.

Thirds + sixths, fifths and fourths, and sevenths + twos invert to eachother!! Harmonizing conspiracy?!?!?!
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Quote by metal4all
Thirds + sixths, fifths and fourths, and sevenths + twos invert to eachother!! Harmonizing conspiracy?!?!?!
Oh noes he's worked out the secrets of harmony. Stop him before we get another bach.