So I'm in the market for a new amplifier and have a price range of right around 500-600 bucks. I definitely want a combo amp seeing as I'm moving into an apartment soon. I play mostly metal, blues, and classic rock. I am really looking for an amp that has a killer metal sound on its own, without adding my pedals to it. I've been looking at Line6, but I'm not sure if they're right for me... Any advice?

Thanks for your help!

-Ben.jammin
Don't get a Spider III. I have one. It sucks the life, tone, and soul out of your guitar.
Schecter Gryphon; Ibanez AEG20E
Peavey Rage 158 ; TRAYNOR YCS50
EHX Big Muff Pi; Dunlop CryBaby GCB-95 (modded); MXR M-108 10-band; DigiTech JamMan Looper
i like the Spider IIIs
just get a reality tv show and then u can make millions being a **** up

MTV Sucks

Quote by hazzmatazz
You think you need help and you don't watch it everyday?

Oh man I'm well and truely on the point of no return then

MY COUSIN IS HOT
get a crate rfx..i had a line6. traded in for the crate. its a good price, can handle any type of style, has effects built in. i got a 65watt for 200 and a 120watt is 250
Quote by n47713
marshall dsl100 or 50 depending on how loud you want it

Too expensive
Quote by 6_Feet_Below
i like the Spider IIIs

Quote by Rusty_axe
Vox Ad 50 Vt or a Marshall 50 AVT

Quote by mikem1030
get a crate rfx..i had a line6. traded in for the crate. its a good price, can handle any type of style, has effects built in. i got a 65watt for 200 and a 120watt is 250

Pretty much all these suggestions should be ignored.

Try the 5150

EDIT: I just read metal accidently, try the Peavey Classic 30 for classic rock and blues, it will struggle to do metal though. 5150 can do decent classic rock but no blues. Take your pick.
Last edited by Horlicks at Jun 28, 2008,
Quote by Horlicks
Pretty much all these suggestions should be ignored.

Try the 5150 combo

+1, this thread was pretty much fail until this post^
Guitar:
Schecter Omen 6 (Dimarzio X2N & Tone Zone)
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 Cab
Epiphone valve juinor.
Turbo tubescreamer, tubescreamer.

You'll have enough for metal with that rig, plus the advantage of being able to roll it back and get a good tone for other kinds of music.

But if you just want total balls-to-the-wall metal amp.
Get a krank rev jr.
Might have to go used, or save a little more cash, though.
Please do not insinuate anything sexual from that.

Quote by cobain_is_king
If your friends don't like your guitar, cover it in stickers and it'll be teh rawks!
Dont go with the 5150. It'll get killer metal tones, but it wont get you the good classic rock and blues sounds you want. Spider III's just plain suck at anything above barely audible practice volume.

Check out the B-52 AT112. All tube, and as versatile as you'll ever need. It'll go anywhere from Parkway Drive to Zep to blues without any pedals. The only complaint is that if you have the distortion AND volume turned up, it gets noisy as hell. A noise gate will clear it up really easily though.
Quote by Pyrofretnic

Check out the B-52 AT112. All tube, and as versatile as you'll ever need. It'll go anywhere from Parkway Drive to Zep to blues without any pedals. The only complaint is that if you have the distortion AND volume turned up, it gets noisy as hell. A noise gate will clear it up really easily though.

+1

B-52's are very nice amps. VERY Versatile.
If you'd like a little louder, try an AT 212.
As my one of my old guitar teachers used to say, "Metal really comes from classical music. The only difference is pinch harmonics, double bass, and lyrics about killing goats."
For some serious metal you can't go anywhere but Marshall... Unless you want to go oldschool and get yourself a Vox AC-30... Now theres a amp that kicks ass!!
Quote by _nilsen_
For some serious metal you can't go anywhere but Marshall... Unless you want to go oldschool and get yourself a Vox AC-30... Now theres a amp that kicks ass!!

I could name a lot of better companies for metal amps other than Marshall.
A Vox AC30 will definitely not get you into metal territory.

Nor will a Valve Jr, it isn't voiced for metal at all.
a 5150 can do classic rock quite well and easily actually, then for blues maybe get a Digitech Screamin' Blues.
Guitar:
Schecter Omen 6 (Dimarzio X2N & Tone Zone)
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 Cab
I'd say a Classic 30 and suck it up and get a OD pedal
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
I'd trade my left nut for an AC30
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!