what's the best neck and body wood combination for metal, but also relatively light?
I can only think of mahogany, but it's not light...
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

what type of metal?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Aluminium?

There is always basswood on most RG's and Mahogany on some...

Agathis is kinda bright if you're looking for a really big attack but...

Alder would also work for metal it's a matter of having metal pu's...

I have Mahogany on both body and neck and it dosn't bother me...

Weak much?
Quote by Brunnis Jetrel, Eve-Search Forums
oh the good old days of launching strawberries at point blank range into people's faces with a ballista... brings back mammaries

Quote by SkyValley
Kick your OWN ass before he has a chance to get to it.

Clicky --->
Last edited by Wigert at Jun 28, 2008,
Quote by MRavioli
talking about the genre of music

Duh, you just don't get it coz u phail.
Quote by Brunnis Jetrel, Eve-Search Forums
oh the good old days of launching strawberries at point blank range into people's faces with a ballista... brings back mammaries

Quote by SkyValley
Kick your OWN ass before he has a chance to get to it.

Clicky --->
When it comes to weight: Body shape and construction make a bigger difference in the weight of a guitar than the sort of wood used - SGs are made completely of mahogany, Ibanez S series guitars have a mahogany body and still they're light.
As for metal: As a very very very general rule of thumb: Basswood for REALLY heavy music (death metal n stuff), because it has excellent attack but still a lot of punch because it accentuates the lower mids. If you are going for a less brutal tone, mahogany (and similar stuff like limba (korina)) is the way to go, because it delivers a rather even sound with more bass response than other woods. A lot of bass = A sound that has some balls.

On the other hand, pickups make a way bigger difference here and can make even a guitar that isn't build for metal in the first place sound like a shred axe. I'd rather worry about the wood's quality than about the actual type of wood.

EDIT: Just from my experience. This is not the be and end all by any means.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Jun 28, 2008,
^I'm confident in the quality of wood because i'm customizing a Carvin Ultra V, and in it, i'm using the M22SD bridge pickup for it has the highest output

@Wigert:i get it now

also, what is the point of having stripes down the neck of a guitar?
Last edited by MRavioli at Jun 28, 2008,
reinforcement.. ie ibanez often uses bubinga stripes.. which are extremely hard to add extra strength to the wood.
Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Squier SG (Specs Unknown)
Kustom KGA-10 Ten watt practice amp
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build
Yep. it reinforces the wood and makes it especially resistent to warping. It is essential for neck through guitars, but not so important on others. But even on those, every little bit helps.
yeah, they reinforce the neck; also they'll affect the tone a bit too (if you have a big enough stripe), so you can go with e.g. maple stripes on a mahogany neck for a little more brightness (or vice-versa)...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?