Hello there. I've got a pretty ugly quad box that I'd like to decorate. I was thinking of tearing the grill cloth off and replacing it with steel mesh, but what I'd ideally like is to be able to have custom artwork on the cloth itself. Currently it gets gigged covered in a giant Portugese flag.

What i'd like to do is turn it into a parental advisory sticker, and stencil or screen print something like this into the cloth. I'll probably differ a bit from the standard wording, and play around with the layout, but you get the idea of a basic black on white two colour job.

A few questions. Has anyone successfully printed on this kind of cloth before and how did you go about it? Also could I re-colour the cloth that's there now, or do I need a new piece? And how hard is it to re-cover a quad when it comes to getting the cloth properly stretched across the front, especially if I have a design that has to be properly aligned.?
Quote by The devil at the crossroads
E|-------------------------------------------1--
B|-----------------------------------1--4--
G|-------------------------1-3-4--
D|------------------1-3----
A|--------1-2-3----
E|-1-4-----

Just move it around the fretboard
I've seen it done, not sure where.

i think you'll have to remove your speakers from the baffle from the rear (is there rear access?), then remove the baffle completely, and from there, the fabric may be stapled directly onto the baffle. if you wanna use the same screen, i believe it's as simple as laying down a stencil and going at it wit a can of spray paint, but i'm not sure how that will effect the permeability of the cloth to sound.

if you want to replace the cloth, i think you'll have to remove everything above as stated, and then find a porous/permeable fabric big enough to cover it, and staple it. to mount it, make sure you've centered it as best you can, and have the "grain" of the fabric as perpendicular to both edges (if you know what i mean) as best you can. start by anchoring opposite sides in the centre with a staple, making sure to pull it nice and taught. repeat for your adjecent sides. once anchored, go to the left of your initial staple by about 2", and pull tight; staple. go to the opposite side, and 2" to the right (so that the staples are aligned) and pull tight; staple. repeat for adjescent sides until the entire thing is secured at a tension you feel is worthy!

(canvas stretching in art class anyone? )

EDIT: i see now it looks as though it's front-loaded, so you can just remove that baffle and go at it without any speaker removal.
------

Shwiggity.
I think you could just use a stencil, spray paint it, then take a hose, spray through the cloth to make sure the cloth is permeable to sound. From about 20 feet away, it'll look like a solid picture even with proper holes.
Please do not insinuate anything sexual from that.

Quote by cobain_is_king
If your friends don't like your guitar, cover it in stickers and it'll be teh rawks!
Quote by Invader Jim
^I'd use compressed air...

May work.
Also running the cab at full volume would shake off any paint that would get in the way of your sound.

Quote by cobain_is_king
If your friends don't like your guitar, cover it in stickers and it'll be teh rawks!
Quote by deftonesordie
^
much more fun that way too!

indeed xD

Quote by cobain_is_king
try Silk Screen Printing.
Ibanez RGT42DXFX with emg 81/85
Schecter C1-Classic
Vox AD30VT
Knock off P-Bass
I did a mockup in photoshop so I can see how it will look. I'm going to change the wording to something original, and possibly unrelated, but keep the advisory sticker format the same.

Perspective is harder to do than you'd think if you've never tried before, that was a good exercise.

Edit- I'm open to any suggestions on re-wording the message, they can be as surreal as you like, I just picked the parental advisory format because it's recognisable and easy to screenprint. I might have to show this pic to the pit and be prepared to wade through all manner of ****e.
Quote by The devil at the crossroads
E|-------------------------------------------1--
B|-----------------------------------1--4--
G|-------------------------1-3-4--
D|------------------1-3----
A|--------1-2-3----
E|-1-4-----

Just move it around the fretboard
Last edited by Cosimo_Zaretti at Jul 2, 2008,
Great idea! Would look great not sure on how to do it though.

Gear
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Carvin V3 and Marhall 1960A cab
2 B.C. Rich Ironbird Pro
Schecter Hellraiser 6
Boss ML-2

RUN
AWAY
kills squirrels

New wording
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores