Howdy.. I don't have the money yet but I recently realised I could make my other guitar pretty good and a suitable backup guitar to my ESPLTD with a pickup change..

Its a cheap budget guitar but the wood seems good and it even sounds okay with its pickups.

Its an explorer shape, practically the same as the Gibson apart from headstock and the points aren't as sharp

"# Solid Mahogany Body
# 22 fret Rosewood Fingerboard
# Bolt Joint Neck
# Twin Humbucker Pickups
# 2 Volume 1 Master Tone control"
URL
http://www.wesleyguitars.co.uk/storefrontprofiles/DeluxeSFItemDetail.aspx?sid=1&sfid=44184&c=282695&i=240132110

What would be good pickups to put in this guitar to make it good for rock and metal? Not active as I have EMG's in my ESP. Looking for a bit more versitility

Do you think it would sound great good pickups or is the guitar quality not good enough its self?

Thanks for the advice
My gear
ESP Horizon II FR (Seymour's with coil tap)
ESP LTD Ex400
Wesley Explorer/Dominator

Ashdown Fallen Angel 40w DSP

BOSS DS-2 Turbo distortion
BOSS AC-3 Acoustic Simulator
BOSS GE-7 Equalizer
Ibanez Tube Screamer TS9
SD SH-5 Customs are really versatile. that's what i'm putting in my bridge position. then i'm thinking of a p-90 in the neck position...
I'm a Mormon.

Gear:
Schecter C-1+
Kustom Tube 12-A
Digitech Hardwire Tube Overdrive
Look at the EXP in my sig.

And yes, I play metal.
1992 Gibson Explorer (Seymour Duncan '59 neck, Custom Custom bridge)
Jackson King V Professional Std. (Seymour Duncan Invaders)
Mesa/Boogie Nomad 55
Mesa/Boogie 412 Recto. O/S Cabinet
Boss ME-50
MXR 10-Band EQ
I have the '59/custom custom combo. IMO it is not good for metal, the '59 gets muddy too quick and the CC just doesn't have the aggressive voicing.
Thanks for the help!

What are Breeds? is that the name of the pickups or company, can't say ive heard of them before..
My gear
ESP LTD Ex400

BOSS GE-7 Equalizer
Ibanez Tube Screamer TS9
GFS vintage '59 neck, GFS mean 90 in the bridge.
Awesome blues, classic rock, jazz and even hard rock setup.
Have it on my dot.

People tell me it's better than a gibson ES 335 or an epi sheraton

I'd give that to the tasty tone mix of the two.
Please do not insinuate anything sexual from that.

Quote by cobain_is_king
If your friends don't like your guitar, cover it in stickers and it'll be teh rawks!
Quote by Iansmitchell
GFS vintage '59 neck, GFS mean 90 in the bridge.
Awesome blues, classic rock, jazz and even hard rock setup.
Have it on my dot.

People tell me it's better than a gibson ES 335 or an epi sheraton

I'd give that to the tasty tone mix of the two.

No offence but those people are your friend's right?
Quote by Horlicks
No offence but those people are your friend's right?

Actually I had a vid on youtube but they took it down because I played a cover and apparently that's copyright infringement.

I also got some nice comments about it when doing a jam with some blues guys. I also tweak my amplifier to no end, so that could help too.

SO what were you implying anyway?

Quote by cobain_is_king
If your friends don't like your guitar, cover it in stickers and it'll be teh rawks!
Quote by Iansmitchell
Actually I had a vid on youtube but they took it down because I played a cover and apparently that's copyright infringement.

I also got some nice comments about it when doing a jam with some blues guys. I also tweak my amplifier to no end, so that could help too.

SO what were you implying anyway?

That it's pretty unlikely that your Epiphone was better than a Gibson.
Quote by Horlicks
That it's pretty unlikely that your Epiphone was better than a Gibson.

Don't be a brandfag around me.

I've updated alot of things.
The epi's difference from the gibson is the headstock, finish, bridge, and electronics.
The wood, quality=same.
I replaced the electronics, changed the bridge for a roller (in anticipation of a bigsby), pots for gisbons, original muddy pickups to GFS.
The finish is poly but it's not a massive issue either way since a new gibson hasn't had the decades necessary for the the nitro to toally bond with the wood anyway.
Epiphone's headstocks are bigger, which equates to more sustain, and I actually like the shape.
I still need to change the nut for a graphite or bone(not decided which yet), but other than that the guitar is tops IMO.

But I'm not copying an ES-335. I'm making something more unique than that.

Quote by cobain_is_king
Quote by Iansmitchell
Don't be a brandfag around me.

I've updated alot of things.
The epi's difference from the gibson is the headstock, finish, bridge, and electronics.
The wood, quality=same.
I replaced the electronics, changed the bridge for a roller (in anticipation of a bigsby), pots for gisbons, original muddy pickups to GFS.
The finish is poly but it's not a massive issue either way since a new gibson hasn't had the decades necessary for the the nitro to toally bond with the wood anyway.
Epiphone's headstocks are bigger, which equates to more sustain, and I actually like the shape.
I still need to change the nut for a graphite or bone(not decided which yet), but other than that the guitar is tops IMO.

But I'm not copying an ES-335. I'm making something more unique than that.

How am I a brandfag? And I didn't know about all those other mods before.
Epiphones wood quality isn't the same as Gibson. I hate to say it, but it's true. Epi's are great instruments when you get a good one so it doesn't really matter. $500 for an Epi with upgrades that rivals a $2000 Gibson is a win in my book, even if it isn't quite as good.
Quote by Horlicks
How am I a brandfag? And I didn't know about all those other mods before.

Oh, a huge legion of UGers will assume any gibson to be higher than epiphone in quality.
They'd take a gibson faded SG special over an elitest G-400.
It's like the guys who'd take marshall MG over an epiphone blues custom.

I'm sorry for assuming you to be one of them.

But yeah, it borders on a project, I guess, at this point.
The stock dot is NOT the stock ES-335.
It's not 1600 dollars worse, it's probably 200-300 less in materials quality, stock.
The pickups=muddy.
The bridge/stop tailpiece don't yield the same sustain.
The pots aren't great quality.
I'll admit this. But the guitars specs are virtually identical beside that.

I like the mods I've done. I think people are right about it sounding better than the gibson 335, it's more versatile, less muddy on low ends, and I have the bluesy P-90 in there now. It's a very different guitar than when I started.

Quote by cobain_is_king
Last edited by Iansmitchell at Jun 28, 2008,
Quote by acdcrocks0323
Epiphones wood quality isn't the same as Gibson. I hate to say it, but it's true. Epi's are great instruments when you get a good one so it doesn't really matter. $500 for an Epi with upgrades that rivals a $2000 Gibson is a win in my book, even if it isn't quite as good.

Depending on the model, that is.
If you take, say, the gibson faded series SG, and compare it to an epiphone G-400, the epiphone will be made with less pieces of mahogany, and generally denser. The source for each is the Philippines now, so you can't say there's a difference there.
The pickups on the epiphone are worse, but both are bad, the faded SG effectively has two rhythm pickups.
Side to side, the epi's prettier, more durable(poly finish isn't overwhelmingly thick on this model, but still can take a bump better than the nitro). Tuners on each, I'd say on par, though I've had a bum tuner on a gibson before(looked at a friends, the tuners were lob-sided when turning, you'd go way sharp with the same turn on one side comprared to another on one of them) f you've ever had JUST ONE bad tuner, you know how annoying it is, since nobody really matches the gibson's green stock keys, anyway...

A mid priced( 400-800) epi will do you better than a low end (under 1200) gibson.

Any other comparison is apples and oranges.

Quote by cobain_is_king
Quote by Iansmitchell
Depending on the model, that is.
If you take, say, the gibson faded series SG, and compare it to an epiphone G-400, the epiphone will be made with less pieces of mahogany, and generally denser. The source for each is the Philippines now, so you can't say there's a difference there.
The pickups on the epiphone are worse, but both are bad, the faded SG effectively has two rhythm pickups.
Side to side, the epi's prettier, more durable(poly finish isn't overwhelmingly thick on this model, but still can take a bump better than the nitro). Tuners on each, I'd say on par, though I've had a bum tuner on a gibson before(looked at a friends, the tuners were lob-sided when turning, you'd go way sharp with the same turn on one side comprared to another on one of them) f you've ever had JUST ONE bad tuner, you know how annoying it is, since nobody really matches the gibson's green stock keys, anyway...

A mid priced( 400-800) epi will do you better than a low end (under 1200) gibson.

Any other comparison is apples and oranges.

Yeah but we aren't talking about faded series. We're talking about Epiphone DOT vs. Gibson ES-335.
Quote by Horlicks
Yeah but we aren't talking about faded series. We're talking about Epiphone DOT vs. Gibson ES-335.

Oh, well the standard dot, Headstock is different(obviously), the pickups are muddier, pots less responsive(though I think gibson MAY be putting the junk 300s on their es 335s, too), switch sucks on either, the bridge is a different size and gives less sustain. The finish is poly instead of nitro. Tuners look diffent. Pickguard, not as classy.

The elitist dot?
The finish is poly instead of niro.
Headstock is different(obviously).
Pickups are similar quality, not heard both side to side yet though.
Tuners look different. Bone nut instead of the plastic gibson nut.

Quote by cobain_is_king
Sorry for getting of topic, TS.

I reread your post and seeing as you're more metal inclined you may want a combo of vintage 59 neck/ rockfield fat ass bridge

Quote by cobain_is_king
Howdy, i'm still pursuing my guitar pickups..

Having trouble finding some of the pickups meantioned online, i'm using Thomann.de.

I really would like zebra pickups in the looks department, so suiting pickups that come in those colours would be perfect.. or one pickup white and one black..

David
My gear
ESP LTD Ex400

BOSS GE-7 Equalizer
Ibanez Tube Screamer TS9
I'd still get the Swinesheads - they're good for what you want to play, easy to get hold of, good value and you can get them in the colour you want.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com