Hello, i just got audacity, and i've been playing around with it and recording, but i'm just plugging the amp straight into the computer, and it sounds like horrid CRAP! So i'm looking to buy a microphone, nothing top notch, but something that's not like Dollar General first-timer's mics for kids, ya know. I just want a microphone that's good enough, but not too expensive...

And another thing, can you just plug the microphone straight into your computer, or do you need to get one of those Pod things, i think. I know you can initially plug it in straight into the computer, but will it sound good or not by itself?

Thanks.
O O

___
What kinda budget are we working in for the mic?

You can get a XLR-Jack cable, and get a 1/4-1/8 adapter and plug straight into the pc.

But it's better to get some sort of interface to plug the mics into.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Hmm... i really have no idea about a budget, i'm new to this and i really have no idea as to what mics cost. I'll save up to anything, as long as it's not SUPER expensive, i'll take just a medium level mic for now, i'm not doing anything fancy, just messing around with recording.

Sorry for asking, but what exactly is an interface?
O O

___
Most basic go-to mic for recording guitar is a Shure SM57. You're looking at about $100 or so. Not so bad, as far as mics go. Actually, pretty cheap.

An interface will have a preamp built into it (if you buy smart... otherwise, you'll need to buy a separate preamp), and will convert your analog signal to digital data (1's and 0's) so your computer can make sense of it. This is called an A/D converter. (analog to digital)

Your stock soundcard in your computer will do this (but probably doesn't have a preamp), but will generally not do this very well. It was designed more as an output than an input, so the quality was put into the output components. An audio interface was designed with quality components for both input and output.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
^What he said.

It basically is a better way for connecting a mic to a computer. So you'd have:

mic-->interface-->computer.

It improves sound quality a lot compared just plugging the mic straight into the computer soundcard.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Shure SM57 (you can never go wrong with this mic)
Rhode does a good few cheap condenser mics too which can give a pretty good recording.

And then i'ld prefer you get an audio interface. They are more compatible, they have a better sound quality and most importantly they reduce your comp's CPU load so u can do more without over clocking you processor.
^^ the shure is ur best bet, Brian Adams uses the shureSM57 so u know it must be good , for best sound quality u'd likely want a stand alone recording console with a USB port, they cost a little more, Tascam DP01 costed me $500 but you cant go wrong dude
Quote by -=Led_Hed=-
^^ the shure is ur best bet, Brian Adams uses the shureSM57 so u know it must be good , for best sound quality u'd likely want a stand alone recording console with a USB port, they cost a little more, Tascam DP01 costed me $500 but you cant go wrong dude

Yeah, maybe later, if i had $500 dollars right now, i would've already had a mic, haha.

I might get one of those later on down the road, but that's just too much money to spend on something when there's other stuff i need for around that price, ya know.

And thanks to everyone who posted in here, you've all helped...

now just one final question:

As some would probably guess, i don't know anything about interfaces either, so What is a good mid-class one? And how much?
O O

___
^I like the M-Audio's FW Solo. Its really good quality and will do the job really well. Its what i use too. And its relatively cheap at around $250.
There are a few cheaper ones too like the M-Audio Fast track series. Just look around to what suits your needs and budget.

And then everyone's got their own preferences about audio interfaces so i won't really argue bout which is the best n all. But i can say M-Audio are pretty widely used in the industry and have a good reputation.
you could always get a Toneport GX and not worry about all of this. That was my alternative to mic'ing up my amp and i'm very happy with it.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30
General of the 7 String/ERG Legion

Quote by Bentheemo
Thats probably some of the best advice I've ever received on here.