i have just downloaded the beta version, and the problem im having is that ive recorded my guitar by just plugging straight into to the mic line in (electro-acoustic) and have plugged my mic into the same one. The problem im having is that when i record vocals, it records them fine but also makes an exact duplicate of the original track under my vocals.. meaning that i cant adjust the gain of the vocal track without the guitar getting louder or quieter as well, if you see what i mean. any ideas?
Try muting the guitar track or using headphones. sounds like ur mic is picking up whats coming out the speakers ?
no.. ive tries with and without headphones. the problem is not that its picking up sound but that it is creating and exact duplicate. i dont know if muting the orignal track would work but i need to hear it anyway so im able to do the vocals.
Quote by soundcheck1
i have just downloaded the beta version, and the problem im having is that ive recorded my guitar by just plugging straight into to the mic line in (electro-acoustic) and have plugged my mic into the same one. The problem im having is that when i record vocals, it records them fine but also makes an exact duplicate of the original track under my vocals.. meaning that i cant adjust the gain of the vocal track without the guitar getting louder or quieter as well, if you see what i mean. any ideas?

If I understand this correctly

When you record the guitar you get one track recorded and one track quiet or a mono track.

When you record the mic, you are getting 2 tracks or basically a stereo track?

Right?

If this is the case..at the far left side of the TRACK..it probably says Audio Track at the top and there is a downward pointing triangle. That is a menu button for that track. Click on that and one of the options down towards the bottom of the list is Split Stereo Track. Then just delete one of them by clicking the X at the far left of the track panel. You can also use that menu to make the track either Mono or force it Left or Right Channel

Tony
No. I record the guitar in a Mono track. Then I record the vocals in a seperate Mono track with a Mic and Headphones and get both a duplicate of the original track and the vocals I just recorded on the same track. As if they have been bounced..

So I'm left with 2 tracks, both mono. One with the original guitar, and one with the original guitar and the vocals.
Quote by soundcheck1
Checked that already...

Maybe the problem is that I'm using the beta version?

I have been using the beta's now for a year (I'm on 1.3.5) and I haven't had that problem. I record with Audacity on system and do some track editing and final mixing (volume adjusting and MP3 exporting) on another system. Everything works fine

Quick question. First off, in the Edit Preferences for the Default Recording Device. Are you using the Microsoft Sound Mapper option or the listing for your sound card?

On the main screen, upper right corner, what is the recording input set to ? Is it Line In or something else?

Tony
Why don't you try recording your guitar on audacity, then save it and close it down. Now open a new Audacity window and record your vocals. Once you finish that, import you guitar track from the 'Import Audio' option and allign both tracks so they happen at the right time.