Alright, so after 5 years of playing out of ss and modeling amps I'm finally getting a tube amp.........er tube combo amp.

I only have $400 to spend at GC (my Line 6 broke but its still under warrenty so I will get $400 to spend at the store)

so these are the only amps within my options

The Peavey Valveking 112 50w
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-ValveKing-112-Combo-Amp-104003397-i1145634.gc

The Crate V Series V50-112 50w
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Crate-V-Series-V50112-50W-1x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=487054

There are no used gear places near me. So which one should I go with? I will be using it for recording and practice. I play thrash metal, blues, shred.
My obligatory gear list

Guitars
Schecter C-1 Classic
Gibson SG Special
1987 Fender Strat
Epiphone PR-150

Amp and Effects
Peavey Valveking 112
Boss DD-6
Crybaby Wah-wah
Ibanez TS-9DX
Banshee 2 Talkbox

Crit plz! Wh ore of Gommorah
Personally I'd go with the Crate. I find Valvekings to be dull and lifeless in both clean and overdrive.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
undoubtedly the valveking, especially with a name like angus is god. I'm guessing you're definatly gonna want the valveking
Quote by DiMeTiMe
+3.141592

Quote by imgooley
It was such a good suggestion you gave him pi?

yeah, he gave me pi.
Quote by acdcrocks0323
I would agree if it had EL84 tubes, but those models have 6l6s AFAIK.

Oh, I was getting confused with the Palomino, you're probably right.
Quote by GuitarUltimate?
undoubtedly the valveking, especially with a name like angus is god. I'm guessing you're definatly gonna want the valveking

Why? Angus didn't play one.

The Valvekings are totally bummed on this forum even though they're really not very good.

TS, do you have no way of trying them?
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
ya I don't know which ones, I want one that will give me metallica-esque rythme, and nice pure highs for my solos. Not like a deep chuga chuga, y'know? A metallica type chug. But with squealing highs.

I know thats asking alot from a tube amp combo.

So between these 2 which one would work best?

EDIT: ^ no, not until I go to GC to pick one out.
My obligatory gear list

Guitars
Schecter C-1 Classic
Gibson SG Special
1987 Fender Strat
Epiphone PR-150

Amp and Effects
Peavey Valveking 112
Boss DD-6
Crybaby Wah-wah
Ibanez TS-9DX
Banshee 2 Talkbox

Last edited by angus is god at Jun 28, 2008,
I'd recommend going to GC and just trying them out one after eachother and then pick one.

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
I say Valveking, mine has been very good to me and I love the tone, although I'm going to do a speaker swap because I've heard that makes it sound even better. It does good metallica on it's own.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
I've been watching videos on youtube and I'm leaning more towards the Valveking, but idk yet.
My obligatory gear list

Guitars
Schecter C-1 Classic
Gibson SG Special
1987 Fender Strat
Epiphone PR-150

Amp and Effects
Peavey Valveking 112
Boss DD-6
Crybaby Wah-wah
Ibanez TS-9DX
Banshee 2 Talkbox

The sound reminds me of when Metallica slaved their Mesa preamps int Marshalls. I think the Crate is more of a Vintage sound.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
The big Palomino I tested at the GC was super sweet sounding. It's just I'm poor ;(
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
alright, I'm going with the VK, thanks for all your help!
My obligatory gear list

Guitars
Schecter C-1 Classic
Gibson SG Special
1987 Fender Strat
Epiphone PR-150

Amp and Effects
Peavey Valveking 112
Boss DD-6
Crybaby Wah-wah
Ibanez TS-9DX
Banshee 2 Talkbox

Quote by angus is god
alright, I'm going with the VK, thanks for all your help!

make sure you try the crate when you're there, don't just go straight to the VK
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Please please please buy the Crate.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by MrCarrot
Please please please buy the Crate.

+1, the crate's are REALLY nice
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
yup, yup, the valvekings Overdrive is just awfull it makes me want to throw up.
i rather get a cube than a valveking if your just ganna buy and amp as is.

but seriusly dont be fooled by the valveking its just got awful tone and at first youll be cool sweet but when your ears develop your just ganna think its crap.

the crate is the way to go and honestly id get the crate over the low end marshall tube stuff cause the marshalls are just not worth it for the extra money,.

but its all up tp you **** to me might be gold to you so dont take other peoples opinions to seriusly.

just check these out
crate
http://youtube.com/watch?v=tyWj1-XcX2E&feature=related

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Q-z_qNNcVz8

http://youtube.com/watch?v=TDyRmP56tIY
valveking
http://youtube.com/watch?v=4xBoGWBYuPw&feature=related

http://youtube.com/watch?v=IYDqlqXLC3E&feature=related
Last edited by blabermouth5 at Jun 28, 2008,
Shop on Ebay, amps are pretty cheap there.
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
^ + 1. Ebay will open alot more options. Unfortunately its had to find good metal amps in the low price range.
ODEN 08 'RISE WITH US'
The V50-112 has 2 6L6's.
The V33-212 has 4 - EL84's. At least everywhere I have checked. So the 33 may get a slightly better Angus sound.

I would try them both. The V-33 is only slightly more than the V-50 in price, and they may deal on them at GC.

I prefer these Crate's (By a lot) to the VK line at Peavey. But mostly because the cleans royally kicked the VK's cleans. Cleans may not be important to you. Good luck.
You assholes ragging on the VK forget that people make them sound amazing with Tubeswaps and speakerswaps. god. PLEASE remember to account for that

The crate won't do what you want it to
get the VK
Quote by lespaul#1
Shop on Ebay, amps are pretty cheap there.

Sure but the only problem is, he has $400 to spend at Guitar Center, not ebay.
Quote by earl_j13
Sure but the only problem is, he has $400 to spend at Guitar Center, not ebay.

yeah hes right its from his warranty, but if you can get that crate for 400$ id say go for it
Quote by blackenedktulu
I Don't Really Know But Capitalising The First Letter In Every Word Is Really Annoying.

As For Me I Like To Play My Own Songs, As I Am Not Into Show Boating.
Quote by acdcrocks0323
I would agree if it had EL84 tubes, but those models have 6l6s AFAIK.

I'm pretty sure you're right. The regular V Series, when I played it, was really modern.

The Palo's are much, much more vintage voiced.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Quote by Highwaytohell
You assholes ragging on the VK forget that people make them sound amazing with Tubeswaps and speakerswaps. god. PLEASE remember to account for that

The crate won't do what you want it to
get the VK

well if the crate sounds bettor than the vavleking at the same price, i could only imagine what the crate would sound like if you do the same thing.