I've been playing for a few years and the band I'm in wants to do a small local gig next month.

Problem is I can't play standing up. I always play sitting down and I sound a lot worse when standing. I keep my guitar at normal waist level, nothing too low or high but my left arm has to strain to play the first 4-5 frets easily ex.- chromatic intro to Master of Puppets. My picking hand is also parallel to the strings when I play sitting down, which makes playing and palm muting much easier, but when standing it up it as at an angle and makes trem picking and PM'ing harder.

I'll take some pictures of my hand posture later to show what the problem is, but any tips would be useful.
Just gotta practice standing up man. Maybe raise the guitar a little bit at first, then lower it if you really want to later.
-D
This is a clever, witty signature. Rofl at my glory.
do you flat pick? and it would probly be easier if you raise you guitar up and if you flat pick try angeling up pick it will make it alott easier but the main thing u gotta do is stand and practice
pro tools operator certified
agile in-ceptor 727
gibson:les-paul studio
fender:strat
ibanez:prestiege s2170se s520ex
esp:ec-1000vb
splawn nitro kt88s
genz-bends g-flex

Quote by Punkismygod
U sure u want a floydrose? those things will make your nerves explode
well... you should practice standing up. its the only way.
Otherwise, try bringing a stool on stage.
I had this problem aswell, and i still have this problem, its just like starting guitar again, just play a song sitting down adn then play it standing up, you ahve a month to practice, i'm sure you can manage I HAVE FAITH IN YOU, DON'T LET ME DOWN!

:P
Gear

Guitars - Fender Deluxe Player Strat, Squier Affinity Strat, Ibanez TCM - 50

Amps - Fender Blues Deluxe

Effects - Boss ME-50

Other - Banjo

Jazz Is not music, Its a way of life
Quote by Twisted Magnum
I've been playing for a few years and the band I'm in wants to do a small local gig next month.

Problem is I can't play standing up. I always play sitting down and I sound a lot worse when standing. I keep my guitar at normal waist level, nothing too low or high but my left arm has to strain to play the first 4-5 frets easily ex.- chromatic intro to Master of Puppets. My picking hand is also parallel to the strings when I play sitting down, which makes playing and palm muting much easier, but when standing it up it as at an angle and makes trem picking and PM'ing harder.

I'll take some pictures of my hand posture later to show what the problem is, but any tips would be useful.

Adjust your strap so that your guitar is in the same position sitting as it is when you stand. Or play sitting down.
Or play mettalica sitting down that'll be exciting
Quote by Jaymz_515
One of my friends was thrown into the sun by a teacher for speaking in the library.
Quote by MightyAl
Adjust your strap so that your guitar is in the same position sitting as it is when you stand. Or play sitting down.

everyone should follow this advice.
Quote by MightyAl

I tried that but the left arm reach problem is the same. It also looks really stupid.

I'll just practice at waist level for a couple of weeks and tell you guys what happens later.

most 'experts' say to strap your guitar so its is in the same position as when sitting down.

sorry if someone has already said this.
Practice standing up. Isn't that good common sense? You practice to overcome all other problems.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
prolly been said, shorten teh strap so the guitar is higher up
<Raven> I got so baked last night
<Raven> that I WOKE UP high o_o
<Raven> Do you have any idea how euphoric that is?
<Raven> I felt like I was being born.
better to have your guitar high and think you look silly than to have it low and not be able to play it. Besides, it doesn't look that bad.
practise standing, and raise the guitar, simple!
"You're a twat!"- That dude in morrisons

"You Ugly git!" - That girl in the restaurant

"You Were a Mistake!" - Mum

just a few of my fans..

I've always had the same problem, though it's improved dramatically since i started.

check how you pick. my main problem was that when i was sitting down, i always picked with my arm, rather than using my wrist as you are usually supposed to. when i stood up, using my arm wasn't as effective so i had to relearn picking, using my wrist instead.

My mind is going. I can feel it.
Quote by adam.on.fire
wear your guitar reaaaaaaaaaally high and it should be easy

And will look silly...
just put your strap as low as it will go and learn to play like that before the show

i used to not be able to play standing up at all but i just lowered my strap to jimmy page levels instantly and now i can play the guitar any which way

also dont trem pick, it'll solve one of your problems
Quote by MTVget0FFtheAIR
I've always had the same problem, though it's improved dramatically since i started.

check how you pick. my main problem was that when i was sitting down, i always picked with my arm, rather than using my wrist as you are usually supposed to. when i stood up, using my arm wasn't as effective so i had to relearn picking, using my wrist instead.

I've always picked with my wrist. It's so much easier to play arpeggios and alt pick with your wrist than you arm. There's no way that I can play anything using my arm to pick. It's a lot slower and doesn't sound as tight or compressed as wrist picking.

I'm getting a little better at playing standing though. The only problems I have so far are power chords because I have to arch my wrist up at almost a 90 degree angle and it slows down power chord slides and string skipping.
Always Practice How You Will Play Live
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
it doesn't matter how "silly" you may look. you need to be able to play, first and foremost.
so make sure it's in the same general position as when you're sitting, and just practice. if it's in the same position, you should have no real problem, unless you're just having trouble with the riff in general
i had to do it too, but you've got to practice playing standing up, otherwise you'll never feel truly comfortable.
"And after all of this, I am amazed...

...that I am cursed far more than I am praised."
yeah, after i bought a strat, things were pretty different since i had always played an SG before. i just found that practicing while standing up and finding the perfect strap level will help. all you can do is get used to it.

or you can just keep sitting. your choice.
Definitely improving now. I just gotta train my picking hand more.

I have my guitar at about a nearly identical position when sitting down and it feels almost normal. Does wonders for my left hand. And it actually doesnt look silly after you get used to it.

EDIT: My left shoulder is taking a beating after just a couple minutes. I'll get used to it though.

Last edited by Twisted Magnum at Jun 28, 2008,
Quote by VikingBears!
well... you should practice standing up. its the only way.
Otherwise, try bringing a stool on stage.

Eeew...
Tom Morello and the guy from The Fall of Troy make it look cool.

It allows you to move around and jump better.
Yeah just mess around with your strap untill its at a comfortable level, angle your guitar a bit etc and just practise.