im going the local GC in about 2 weeks to get a new guitar, almost definately the Epi Les Paul Standard. i know to play it ( and other guitars in my price range) to make sure it sounds good and i like the feel of it.

but other than sound and playability what are some good things to check to make sure the build quality is good? so i know its built well. any common problems wiht new guitars i should check for?

thanks
Various cracks and dents and general build quality. Is anything loose, does anything rattle? Remember, if its in GC theres probably been a few other people picking it up and playing it, and damage in the shops does happen. Its very important to look around the neck area and make sure that theres no cracks there.

Basically, if you're not 110% satisfied, don't buy it.

Also, it hasn't got anything to do with quality, but haggle. If its £300, ask if they'll do it for, say, £270. The worst that'll happen is that they say no... ask if they'll throw in a strap, a gig bag or strings. If the salesman knows you're interested in buying he'll try his best to make sure you do. Good luck
+1 tom.

HAGGLE!!!!

It almost always works unless its a brand new item the company just released. What i do is a make sure the guy sees me playing it and jamming to the beat, and then i ask him what kind of deal he can get me. I don't even look at the price tag when he's around. He will go to the computer for fake research, then tell you a price. Then you say "Hmmmm, i don't really have a lot. Could you throw in a gig bag/case and a strap or strings or something? "

keep goin at it like this, you will get a super good deal
wouldnt buzzing on the frets just be due to it needing to be set up? or is this a potential problem with the way the frets are layed in or something?

yeah so many other people playing to guitar i might be spending $500 on kinda bothers me a little since its not quite new then, ya know. but its fine. ill just have to make sure theres no pick marks all over it or scratches or dings like you mentioned.

and im definately gonna haggle on the price. they have the Epi LP on their website for $550, but i saw it at another shop for $500 in the store itself. so they would need to atleast match that. (that shop is an hour away is the only reason i dont just buy from them)
there's some info about this in the stickies, written by jenny.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
oh sorry, i did a search and didnt quite find anything. i just read that sticky, its very useful. thanks guys
Yeah haggle down on it. My friend used to work at GC and he would give people some good deals. One of my friends walked in there wanting an Ibanez semi-hollow body and ended up getting it for like $100 off or something.
I dont like the Epi Les Paul Standards. The Epi Les Paul Ultra 2, which cost me $700, sounds way better than a Standard. Try one out and see what you think.
Quote by fenderwiz
I dont like the Epi Les Paul Standards. The Epi Les Paul Ultra 2, which cost me $700, sounds way better than a Standard. Try one out and see what you think.

Is that the chambered one? My friend and I looked at one, it was a lot lighter than a regular LP and sounded sweet.
the ultra seems to have features i just dont need. and the weight thing wont bother me at all, i like the feel of the heavier guitars actually.
Quote by jusfuris
oh sorry, i did a search and didnt quite find anything. i just read that sticky, its very useful. thanks guys

(yeah, it probably wouldn't come up in a search as it was just a post in that sticky, not the name of the thread)
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?