i cant remember where or anything, i'm just kind of sure i remember reading it on UG

so yea, question is: what is the 'sad scale'?

locrian scale is the only thing i can even come close to finding to be sad sounding
Harmonic Minor!

That's sad. Most people use it for shredding and hoohah, but you can use it for the blues, if you can be arsed.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Quote by szekelymihai
got an example for me?song/scale model?please

theory thread will help you out. I can't think of an example, but i can explain maybe...

any song that has sort of a sad feel to it is probably in the minor key. most modern rock songs seem to fit this lately... When you take a minor scale and raise the 7th degree, it gives an eerie, unwelcome feel to that part of the scale. Bands like Darkest Hour and the Black Dahlia Murder use this technique. Really any Swedish-style metal.

Look at the theory thread and just play through the scales. It will become VERY apparent what I mean.
_______
|||||||||||||||
Quote by dannyisokay
theory thread will help you out. I can't think of an example, but i can explain maybe...

any song that has sort of a sad feel to it is probably in the minor key. most modern rock songs seem to fit this lately... When you take a minor scale and raise the 7th degree, it gives an eerie, unwelcome feel to that part of the scale. Bands like Darkest Hour and the Black Dahlia Murder use this technique. Really any Swedish-style metal.

Look at the theory thread and just play through the scales. It will become VERY apparent what I mean.

ok thanks man
The harmonic minor is sad, but for really sad, go for diminished. It's so sad you'll probably cry on the spot.