I'm looking to buy my second (third technically, but the first was just a half-size) guitar soon.

I've been playing guitar for around 16-17 months and currently have an Ibanez GRG170.

I talked to my friend today and we've got a list of possibilities and I just wanted to know your thoughts. Also, I'd like to point out the cheaper, the better, but all depends on quality

I'm not really willing to spend over £350.

Possibilities:
Epiphone SG
The average price for one of these is around £150. They're actually quite cheap

Epiphone Les Paul
Average price is around £270 for a decent one.

Fender Telecaster
Aound £290 but it's a good make so will probably be a rather good guitar

Ibanez Destroyer
The dearest out of them all at around £320-£330.

My friend also said I should put the 'Tokai Love Rock' down as it's a good guitar for the money. He has one, he should know.
I'm not very struck on the idea though as it's about £400 which, for me is a rather large amount for my budget.

If you have any other suggestions, please feel free to say them, just don't make them much over £300 please

Thanks
Mike
Guitars:
Ibanez GRG170DX
A crap little half-size starter guitar

Pedals:
Digitech RP90

Amps:
Roland Cube 30X
A cheap 10W
Last edited by nuttyboy at Jun 28, 2008,
What do you play?
Gear:
Schecter 006 Elite
Dean VX
Some Memphis 3/4th Strat copy
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60w
He plays Audioslave, Muse, he's fan of Morello, alternative maybe? Dunno the genre.
ᶌῖᶌα ɭα ɌεᶌσɭƲʈιʘϰ
Quote by redwolf206
What do you play?

Mostly Muse type stuff, and rather metal-ly type stuff

^What Vauxite said.
Guitars:
Ibanez GRG170DX

Pedals:
Digitech RP90

Amps:
Roland Cube 30X
A cheap 10W
Maybe an HSS Strat would be good for you, great versatility and should sound nice.
Gear:
Schecter 006 Elite
Dean VX
Some Memphis 3/4th Strat copy
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60w
genres of music you play?

also remember that usually with guitars, quality and price have a positive correlation.
uhh i would have to go with a fender stag or fender jagstag it looks great and sounds awesome
THE KREATOR OF THE ALL METAL AND KERRY KING GROUP PM ME TO JOIN
Proud BLACK 13 Owner
RIP Charles Michael "Chuck" Schuldiner THE FATHER OF DEATH METAL
GOD HATES US ALL-SLAYER
Quote by vamprocker
uhh i would have to go with a fender stag or fender jagstag it looks great and sounds awesome

I've never heard of those. What are they and how much are they approximately?
Guitars:
Ibanez GRG170DX

Pedals:
Digitech RP90

Amps:
Roland Cube 30X
A cheap 10W
I suggest a new amp, considering an amp is about 60% of your sound.
Gear List:
'97 Gibson Explorer w/ Duncan SH-4 and SH-2
Fender Jazz Bass 'Crafted in Japan'
Yamaha Acoustic Guitar
Vox AD30VT w/ VFS2
Roland Cube 30 Bass
Modded "St. Louis" Wah
Dunlop .88 Tortex picks
I believe he means stang, so That'd be a Mustang and a Jagstang.

A mustang'll set you back about £500, and £350 for a Jagstang.
Skeet UK is awesome, he can get WD Music parts discounted.
Quote by Baconfish
I believe he means stang, so That'd be a Mustang and a Jagstang.

A mustang'll set you back about £500, and £350 for a Jagstang.

Hmm. I'm unable to find a Jagstang anywhere and the Mustang is too pricey.

I'll talk to my friend about the Jagstang though.
Guitars:
Ibanez GRG170DX

Pedals:
Digitech RP90

Amps:
Roland Cube 30X
A cheap 10W
A Epiphone Les Paul Ultra 2 is always a good guitar to try. I have one and it sounds and feels great. It cost me $700.
As you've already had good experiences with Ibanez (I assume), and if you want a locking trem, I'd recommend the S470. Great guitar for the price, very high quality, nice stock pickups, real easy to play and has a superb trem. I play A LOT of Muse on mine, it's great. And I can wind up the gain nicely to get Metallica and Dream Theater. It's extremely versatile with 3 pickups and has a very thin mahogany body for great sound. Check it out, it's on average £320, which is at the top end of your budget, but this guitar would last many, many years and will play almost anything. There's some pics of the black one in my profile.

Ibanez S470
Laney HCM30R
Digitech GNX3000
Last edited by quantum leap at Jun 28, 2008,
As much as you wanna buy a cool ass new guitar, in order for you to sound good, you absolutely need to buy an amp. Guitars are fun and look cool, but amps are what you get your sound from. Buy a good amp now so you can start playing around with new guitars later. For that price, you can start looking at a nice tube amp. And if you are willing to buy used, you could get a good amp and also start saving a good deal towards that new guitar.

You really should consider getting an amp. As much as you probably hate to hear it, everything you are spending money towards, all your guitars and pedals are all going to **** because of your 'cheap 10W' do yourself a favor, buy a nice amp, and start to truly enjoy the guitars you do have.
A Fender mustang is nice if you can get your hands on it, definitely worth the money.
ESP has some nice versatile guitars if you poke around. And the price range is nice.
is the tele a knockoff, or is it an american standard? cause if its legit, no contest, get the tele. Otherwise ive heard nothing bad about epiphone les pauls
Gear

Peavy 4x12
Customized strat(EMG humbuckers)
More effect pedals than i kno what to do with, mainly use digitech whammy, rat distortion, vox wah, mxr phase 90, vintage 70's big muff(best present i ever got)

self taught and proud of it
Personally I'd recommend...

- Ibanez ART320. Ibanez's latest version of the Les Paul with active pickups. They look great in person and I've heard people play it; sounds pretty good!

- Ibanez SZR250. The new SZR series guitar which took over the SZ series. Double cutaway and dual humbuckers, pretty versatile guitar. If you can find an old SZ though, I'd get that.

- Washburn Wi65PRO. This is on sale at the mo, (not sure why) but is a great guitar for the money. Seymour Duncan pickups equipped and typical Washburn features!

- Washburn X50PRO. Great guitar, similar to above but more of a Strat shape. Many users say the same thing: GREAT GUITAR!

- Epiphone SG Prophecy GX. New models released hot-rodded with Gibson pickups. Decent specs anyway! There is an EMG version available for the same price here which is more suited to metal.

- Yamaha AES620. Seymour Duncan equipped, and has won a few awards for being good quality for the price.
I suggest first a better amp
Quote by CrackerJack465
Amps dont matter.
NeWb!
I'd say get a squier '51(the world's best cheap guitar).
And get an epiphone valve junior half stack(best cheap amp.

For metal, you'll probably want to change the stock humbucker for a rockfield, and the single coil for a hot rails or similar.
The controls are very versatile, and it's a great guitar, stock or upgraded.
As per the amp, you should probably get a turbo tubescreamer or damage control distortion for metal as well.
Please do not insinuate anything sexual from that.

Quote by cobain_is_king
If your friends don't like your guitar, cover it in stickers and it'll be teh rawks!
Your guitar isn't that good, but as has been said, amp is more important. Try and do both, most of the suggestions here are good. Washburns are very good value for what you get, Ibanez is always good

As per your comment about the 'tele being a "good brand = good guitar", I wouldn't ever base my assumptions on things like that. Models differ, so check them out. Obviously a Fender MIM Tele isn't a bad guitar, but it's just a dangerous way of thinking
Why did Pat Metheney cross the road? He didn't, his hair got in the way
--
Member #1 of Ibanez > You club. PM me to join