I firmly believe that playing songs on a guitar does not make someone a guitarist.. and certainly not a musician. I've been playing for about a year, and I consider myself a decent guitar PLAYER.. I can play most basic stuff.. Blackbird, Stairway intro.. But my question is, how do I start becoming a GUITARIST? What techniques are good to start with that will help me begin to master the instrument? I look at lessons, but I'm not sure what techniques should be my foundation as I start learning.

Thanks.
-Josh

/fail
I don't think it's about technique; it's more about how you see yourself as an instumentalist. I'm not sure I can really explain what I mean but it's definitely not about technique.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I would say a GUITARIST is someone who makes a living out of playing. Guitarists play guitar.
As do authors, and builders, and students e.t.c. But a guitarist plays guitar as his/her job.

What you DO, defines you.
To be a musician in the truest sense requires a true desire to study music, its theory, and its history.
Tiger style.
I think it doesnt matter about skill or technique, as long as you play the music you love then you should always see yourself as a guitarist
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
I don't think it's about technique; it's more about how you see yourself as an instumentalist. I'm not sure I can really explain what I mean but it's definitely not about technique.

+1
It's more of a mental thing then anything else. Personally, I feel it's when you can express what you want, when you want, on a consistant basis. However, it's somthing you have to find for yourself, it's just a feeling you get when you reach a certain point.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
Quote by Garou1911
+1
It's more of a mental thing then anything else. Personally, I feel it's when you can express what you want, when you want, on a consistant basis. However, it's somthing you have to find for yourself, it's just a feeling you get when you reach a certain point.

thats exactly what I meant truer words never spoken
Quote by Garou1911
+1

I'm not sure that's really what I meant; I can't play half the things I want to but I still consider myself a guitarist rather than just someone who plays guitar, it's not really anything to do with what you can play and all about self-image. This is all getting rather metaphysical really...
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
I'm not sure that's really what I meant; I can't play half the things I want to but I still consider myself a guitarist rather than just someone who plays guitar, it's not really anything to do with what you can play and all about self-image. This is all getting rather metaphysical really...

lol. Yeah, I didn't really mean it like that, that's just my personal look at it. It's somthing we each feel differently.

This really is getting all metaphysical. lol
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
i think if this thread proves anything its that the difference between a guitar player and a guitarist is pretty open to interpretation, but in response to the TS maybe you have to look at the bigger picture, learning songs is evidence of applied technique, if your learning at a song look at why it sounds good, what chords, what scales, what techniques are used soon enough youll build up a knoledge of guitar which will progess into your own riffs and into songs etc, so really becoming a guitarist come in time with playing guitar, i might be totally wrong though thats just my idea..
Quote by Josshhhhh
I firmly believe that playing songs on a guitar does not make someone a guitarist.. and certainly not a musician. I've been playing for about a year, and I consider myself a decent guitar PLAYER.. I can play most basic stuff.. Blackbird, Stairway intro.. But my question is, how do I start becoming a GUITARIST? What techniques are good to start with that will help me begin to master the instrument? I look at lessons, but I'm not sure what techniques should be my foundation as I start learning.

Thanks.
everyone is entitled to their opinion, even if it is wrong.

guitarist = guitar player. period.

you can be a guitarist without having a full set of skills in musicianship.
go to Musican Talk and read the threads having to do with music theory
if you want to start improving your skills in that area.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Only thing I will say is I don't think I ever heard the players I admire most such as SRV & Eric Clapton refer to themselves as guitarist and I certainly have never thought of them as such. Only as guitar players and/or musicians.Guitarist strikes me as as the type of elitist title that a stuck up anal retentive classical musician may use to separate himself from the common player
PS. I will allow for the possibility that they have as I am sure I have not read every article or interview they have done.
My Gear

Schecter Gryphon with Seymour Duncan JB Bridge and Jazz Neck PU's
Fender Superchamp XD Amp
Bad Monkey Pedal
Thanks for the input, all. I'll have to think about that. Lately I've been feeling discouraged about my lack of progress, and I guess that's what fueled my post haha.
-Josh

/fail