Any help appreciated!
I am a bassist, but I have decided I wanted to play electric guitar to expand my "musical boundaries."

Here is what I'm looking for
Solidbody, 6 string
Not stratocater or telecaster looking
Under $250
I play hard rock (so 1 or more humbuckers)

I read the guitar faq and basically got it down to these standards
I'm open to most brands

thanks for reading
Epiphone LP junior
or
Epiphone les paul special II.
or
Epiphone SG Special

Do you know how to solder?

Because if so, some better pickups and a potentiometer upgrade will VASTLY improve these guitars.
Please do not insinuate anything sexual from that.

Quote by cobain_is_king
If your friends don't like your guitar, cover it in stickers and it'll be teh rawks!
i dont know what you have against strats but if you must stay away from those than i agree with epiphone.
Quote by Wicked_Bassist7
alright. i'll look into some epiphones! thanks guys

Wait you didn't answer whether you knew how to soldier or not.

Quote by cobain_is_king
If your friends don't like your guitar, cover it in stickers and it'll be teh rawks!
Quote by Wicked_Bassist7
i do not know how to solder

Is there a dependable local guitar shop in your area? (note local, NEVER turst GC with your guitar.)

If not, or really even if so(they can be rather expensive), I'd suggest you pick up a soldering iron, some 60/40 solder and a solder sucker attachment. Try a few simple things(look for the thread- "tutorial-killswitch pedal"), and when you feel confident, upgrade the pickups on your guitar.
I'd highly recommend doing three mods to the epiphone you get (only two if it's the junior)
A.Put in GFS vintage '59s.
B.Put in gibson 500k audio potentiometers. They'll give you not only better tone, but more control over it.
B(not for junior). Wire your potentiometers so that you have individual volume for each pickup, with tone hardwired to the switch.

Since you're just starting out, you won't really get to know tone enough to care about it until later. But when you're ready, you'll love the difference it makes in your guitar. Also, don't start out with a crappy amplifier. The epiphone valve junior combo is only 150 bucks, all tube, and has a lady luck eminence speaker.
This will make you tinker more with your sound, always a good thing, and you'll notice VAST improvement in tone after the pickup switch.

Quote by cobain_is_king
I'd say get a schecter. They are amazing guitars for the money. They are also one of the only guitar companys to dual inspect all their guitars. One over seas where the guitars are made...then to california to the custom shop where they are setup and inspected again. Pretty cool if you ask me.
GEAR
Fender American Tele w/ Hot Rails
Schecter C-1 Blackjack FR
Schecter 006 Elite w/ Duncan JB
Bogner Uberschall v2
Boogie 4x12 Std. Cab