From reading another few threads dealing with arm injuries, I figured I might as well ask you guys since this is a guitar forum. A few years back I had an injury to my wrist. I had a ton of stitches, went through physical therapy for over a year, had a couple other surgeries on top of that one to fix a tendinitis problem. Here is a picture of the stitches.

I still have this problem with tendinitis, it has been a while and I work on my hand a lot with my Gripmasters. I've gained a lot of dexterity and strength but I'm afraid I'll never get the speed. I don't think my fingers can move faster because the muscles in my fingers need to be built up as well as the tendons being stuck to scar tissue, making it hard to stretch my fingers across the fretboard.
I am ambidextrous, I can play guitar both ways although I'm used to playing right handed so I'm better that way now. I'm almost thinking of playing left handed, but I really don't want to. Maybe I could "switch hand" the fast solos I guess.
Have any of you been in the same boat I'm in? What kinds of things do you do to play better? Exercises? I know this question is a long shot to answer but meh, maybe someone on this board has almost the same sort of block I do. Thanks.
I'd just try and see what gives the best result.
I think switching hands is an option for you, though I don't know what you'll get out of the picking due to that wrist. What you can however ppb still do is play some slower, maybe more melodic-based (or chord-based) stuff.
I don't have any experience with such injuries though
I don't know, but that pic is fucking creepy.
Quote by primusfan
It wasn't mean, it was Portuguese.

Master Saruwatari of the Pit Samurai Pm theguitarist to join

Membro do clube Português do UG.
Yeah, I was weary about posting that pic up. It took 45 minutes to pull all those stitches out. The thing is, I have my range of motion in my wrist just fine, so picking isn't a problem. It's straining to get my fingers to move quick enough that's the problem.
It's progressive work I guess. Build it up really slowly, get everything slowly and move on to higher speeds just a little at a time.
Quote by primusfan
It wasn't mean, it was Portuguese.

Master Saruwatari of the Pit Samurai Pm theguitarist to join

Membro do clube Português do UG.
Yeah I guess. I have gotten leaps and bounds better for a while, but lately I just can't do it. Surprisingly, Guitar Hero helped a bit.
You could get MAB-style double neck and use the left handed neck for solos. That would be awesome!
Bands to see before I die:
Iron Maiden
Foo Fighters
Megadeth
Reel Big Fish
Rush
Streetlight Manifesto

Gear:
Epi LP Standard
Washburn Strat
Line 6 Spider (Yes, I know it's bad)

GAS:
Ibanez RG3570Z
Digitech Whammy
Just like any other muscle, build it up slowly. Eventually you will be better, if you strive to exhaust your muscles everyday.
GEAR

Hohner MR-800
B.C. Rich Rich Bich Platinum
MIC Squier Strat
Boss MT-2 Metalzone
Fab chorus
Fab echo
Fender Super champ XD
Hum... maybe if you can get in touch with a doctor they would give you a good answer. This way you can avoid any more damage.
Yeah smartest thing to do would be to talk to your doctor...while the advice one this forum might be ok, the last thing you'd want to do is to do more damage to your wrist. Talk to a professional.
Quote by mrvile
Yeah smartest thing to do would be to talk to your doctor...while the advice one this forum might be ok, the last thing you'd want to do is to do more damage to your wrist. Talk to a professional.

THIS
GEAR

Hohner MR-800
B.C. Rich Rich Bich Platinum
MIC Squier Strat
Boss MT-2 Metalzone
Fab chorus
Fab echo
Fender Super champ XD
holy s**t that is brutal looking ._.

cant help you there, I only play one handed, sorry ._.;; I say do whatever works, and hope you get better soon
BACK LIKE A HEART ATTACK
The thing is, I don't know what the physical therapists can do anymore. I personally would like to figure out how to rip the scar tissue from the tendon if I can, so that it frees up the tendon. My ulner nerve is jacked up so I don't have much feeling in parts of my fingers, which makes it kinda hard to feel the frets.
Quote by PhoenixFear
The thing is, I don't know what the physical therapists can do anymore. I personally would like to figure out how to rip the scar tissue from the tendon if I can, so that it frees up the tendon. My ulner nerve is jacked up so I don't have much feeling in parts of my fingers, which makes it kinda hard to feel the frets.

Well, it's not necessary that the physical therapists still actually DO anything, but if you're going to practice or play a certain way, you should really consult them before doing so. Just ask them if the way you'll be playing is ok, health-wise, and then proceed. But I would make sure I consult a professional first.

A couple years ago my mother got hit by a biker while jogging and she broke her shoulder in like a million places. Took her almost a year to heal, and at one point she wasn't pushing herself enough during the therapy and the scar tissue healed in a way that severely limited the range of motion in her arm. She then had to get surgery to tear up that scar tissue (as you mentioned) to free up her arm, then she had to redo all of her therapy and she made sure she pushed herself to do it correctly.

I mean, at this point I'm pretty sure you've already done a LOT of talking to professionals, but seriously though, before you take any actions, make sure you consult a professional!
Yeah I will, I don't have any other real option. They gave me some exercises but they will only do so much. It just bugs me about my fingers feeling like something is trying to push them back when I try to stretch them out, it gets in the way of my playing.
I just really want to know if I'm screwed for life or not. I can switch to left handed, but I'd have to relearn the little I've learned about guitar. Heck, I can keep playing bass right handed. I'd much prefer to stay right handed though, if worst comes to worse, just switch hand the solos. Sounds easier than it is.