http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/iimjpii/music/all/play344609

This is an instrumental track I recorded a few days ago. I'm primarily a guitarist, and I just started playing bass... I'm wondering what kind of bass line I could fit into this.

If you're wondering what I'm playing, I'll tab it out for you. It's in G Mixolydian, but I play a Bb in a few places times.

Main riff: (G)
e----------------------
B-----3p1------------
G----------0----------
D---------------------- x 2
A----------------------
E-3-----------1-3-3-

e----------------------
B-----1p0------------
G----------0----------
D----------------------
A----------------------
E-3-----------1-3-3--

Then I play F5 and Bb5. I play this sequence twice.

Riff 2: (C)
e-----------------------------3--------------------------------
B------5h6p5------------------------6--3--------------------
G----------------3h5p3---------5------------5b7-5p3------
D-----------------------------------------------------------5--
A-3-----------------------3------------------------------------
E---------------------------------------------------------------

Then I play the main riff again.

This is followed by a little blues turnaround sort of thing, which is just D7 C7 G. Then I'm just playing a 1-3-7 progression in G, which is G, Bm, F. This is going to have a guitar solo over it, but I'm not completely certain what I want to do yet.

I'm kind of at a loss for what sort of bass I can put in this track. I want to have something more interesting than just simple arpeggios. I really need it to fit the atmosphere of the song. So, bassists of UG, what can I do?

Excuse the wall of text and lack of bass knowledge.
I would say have the bass follow the guitar to an extent, but every-so-often it should break up and do some fills of it's own.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
for parts in G
G-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
D----------------------------0-------------------------------------------
A----------0----------0--3--------0----------------------------------------
E--3----3----3----3------------3----3------------------------------------
for part in C
G------------------------------------0--------------------------------------
D------------------------------3-4------------------------------------------
A----3-3-------------3-3----------------------------------------------------------
E-----------0-0--------------------------3----------------------------------------

watcha think?

I'd record it, but I can't here.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by the humanity
for parts in G
G-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
D----------------------------0-------------------------------------------
A----------0----------0--3--------0----------------------------------------
E--3----3----3----3------------3----3------------------------------------
for part in C
G------------------------------------0--------------------------------------
D------------------------------3-4------------------------------------------
A----3-3-------------3-3----------------------------------------------------------
E-----------0-0--------------------------3----------------------------------------

watcha think?

I'd record it, but I can't here.

Sounds pretty good, although I'd love to see somebody explain their logic here. I don't know too much about bass playing.

Feel free to crit the song while you're at it.
I used the blues scale for both because it was blues.
it sort of reminded me of I will Posess your heart at the beginning, so I tried to recreate a similar bassline. I modded the jazz two feel a little to fit the blues scale and keep holding it down. however, that alone will not do it because there are a few rests in there. I'll try to transcribe it to real notes, so someone can play it for you.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by the humanity
I used the blues scale for both because it was blues.
it sort of reminded me of I will Posess your heart at the beginning, so I tried to recreate a similar bassline. I modded the jazz two feel a little to fit the blues scale and keep holding it down. however, that alone will not do it because there are a few rests in there. I'll try to transcribe it to real notes, so someone can play it for you.

Hm, makes sense.

Although, I don't really want too much of a blues feel until the blues turnaround part. It's really supposed to be more of an atmospheric song. I like your bassline here, and I had something similar in mind, but I think it's a little too intrusive for the feel I want.

I think I might go with something like this...

E-3------1h3p1
it sounds more like indie with a blues feel, actually.
probably because I tried to get the effect of an indie song.

for less intrusiveness, I'd just drop my treble and high mid, get a smooth thump or boom. the bass tone has much more to do with how much it takes over the song.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Just remember that theory is interchangable between instruments. Look at what you're playing, look at what scales you're using, and use that to write a bassline. Download powertab editor or Tux guitar (if you don't have Guitar Pro), and mess around with stuff. Use this as a chance to further your knowledge of theory and how the bass can interact with the guitar.