If the guitar is in drop-d should the bass drop-d also?
Doesn't have to be. Just the open bottom string would sound different. So don't do that. It all depends on the note you're playing.
Generally, yes. But if you guys play in the same key, I don't think it matters much.
Quote by guitar-godfrey
when i grow up i wanna have blackandsilver's babies!

Quote by angusfan16

Quote by Scowmoo
HOLY HELL.

nice discovery, sir.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by coryklok : Today at 01:10 PM.
Doesn't really matter, my band tunes to drop D but sometimes my second guitarist goes up to standard so he can do chords and stuff.
Gear:
EBMM Bongo HS 4
EBMM Sting Ray 5
Eden D410T
Tech 21 Sansamp RBI
Tech 21 Sansamp RPM
Art 341 Dual Channel EQ
QSC GX5 Power Amp
It doesn't matter much, really.

The bassist for Interpol plays in drop D while both guitars are in standard, and it sounds fine.
It doesn't matter, as long as you know what you're doing. For someone who isn't quite sure what they're doing and just kinda follows the guitar it'd be easier to switch to drop D.
I only drop tune the bass if I need the lower note. Generally when I write bass lines I don't just do roots, so often if the guitars are in drop D, I'll keep the bass in E standard. Although I've also written stuff where one guitars been in E standard, one in drop D, and the bass in D standard. It really doesn't matter as long as all the required notes can be played in whatever tuning.

~Taydr~
Ka pu te ruha ka hao te rangatahi.