Well, I'm pretty much on the borderline of really-good, to great,
im stuck on just, really good right now, and i cant to become "great" (if you guys know what i mean)
is there anything that i can do to get more creative songwriting ideas, and overall, become a better player? (btw i play in a thrash metal/acdc like rock band)
ideas and things i can do would be great

cheers
GEAR
Epiphone LesPaul 100
Fender FM212R 100watt
Pawn Shop Strat ripoff
Fender G-Dec
Digitech RP80

GETTING SOON
Jackson RR3 Pro Series
CFH Wah
keep practicing? play more shows? Make money?

deffinately get better gear.. no "Great" musician plays on an epiphone and an RP80

IMHO both of those are terrible... sell the RP80 for the effects you use most in stompbox form.. then you will sound better, possibly breaking the barrior
Metronome.
Quote by Deep*Kick
why do you need to have ur amp flat bickie in your house if you are just practicing is what i'm wondering? Of course it's bad for every1's hearing

Rig:
Ibanez Xiphos7 w/ Blackouts -or- ESPh307->MXR ZW-44-> Peavey 6505+

7/ERG Legion
I know some theory, like the aeolion, ionian,phygiran(or however the hell you spell it), mixodolyian, locarion all those other modes, and my pentatonics.
how good; as in i can play:
ride the lightning
fade to black
bark at the moon
i dont wanna stop
symphony of destruction

alot more but those are the ones i can think of right now.
GEAR
Epiphone LesPaul 100
Fender FM212R 100watt
Pawn Shop Strat ripoff
Fender G-Dec
Digitech RP80

GETTING SOON
Jackson RR3 Pro Series
CFH Wah
haha i know
my rp80 is absolutley horrible, i never even use it actually :P
im going to sell it for a crybaby,
and im getting a rr3 pro series, not a s520ex, so i better change that :p
GEAR
Epiphone LesPaul 100
Fender FM212R 100watt
Pawn Shop Strat ripoff
Fender G-Dec
Digitech RP80

GETTING SOON
Jackson RR3 Pro Series
CFH Wah
You're 14; you're not really good or great. Cheap practicing and be realistic about your playing ability.
ive been playing for 2 years, and i really want to learn more though.
ive been trying out some blues stuff, but it just doesnt clcik with me.
GEAR
Epiphone LesPaul 100
Fender FM212R 100watt
Pawn Shop Strat ripoff
Fender G-Dec
Digitech RP80

GETTING SOON
Jackson RR3 Pro Series
CFH Wah
Quote by MudaFoka
You're 14; you're not really good or great. Cheap practicing and be realistic about your playing ability.

ya who are you kidding, you're 14, you can't be good at anything.

but seriously, like everyone is saying diversify your playing and learn more theory... maybe make a more strict practice regimen?
Quote by KirknRandall
I know some theory, like the aeolion, ionian,phygiran(or however the hell you spell it), mixodolyian, locarion all those other modes, and my pentatonics.
how good; as in i can play:
ride the lightning
fade to black
bark at the moon
i dont wanna stop
symphony of destruction

alot more but those are the ones i can think of right now.

Great musicians write original material, they don't play covers.
Quote by Kensai
I know a good joke:

Women's rights.
Quote by Chubbychunks
I know a good joke:

Kensai's life.
Quote by Dimebag Dave

This^

Or take a song and rewrite its solo. This is my favorite thing to do, it can be pretty challenging and allows you to improvise.
Quote by Deep*Kick
why do you need to have ur amp flat bickie in your house if you are just practicing is what i'm wondering? Of course it's bad for every1's hearing

Rig:
Ibanez Xiphos7 w/ Blackouts -or- ESPh307->MXR ZW-44-> Peavey 6505+

7/ERG Legion
Quote by FightinIrishPJ
keep practicing? play more shows? Make money?

deffinately get better gear.. no "Great" musician plays on an epiphone and an RP80

IMHO both of those are terrible... sell the RP80 for the effects you use most in stompbox form.. then you will sound better, possibly breaking the barrior

Actualy, the guitarist for Weezer plays an Epiphone SG, at least he does in the pork n beans video. I don't know what you consider a great musician, but they've had the number 1 alt. music video all summer.
Quote by dcdossett65
Life is too short to worry about this crap.

Who.

Cares.
Quote by Dimebag Dave

You can learn from playing covers if you figure out what exactly they are doing.

Also, it's not specified whether or not this guy can actually play the songs well.
if you read my post i said i want to come up with new ideas for myown band, because we've written a few songs, i just want my sound to be unique and not a carbon copy of hetfield or mustaine or someone like that.
GEAR
Epiphone LesPaul 100
Fender FM212R 100watt
Pawn Shop Strat ripoff
Fender G-Dec
Digitech RP80

GETTING SOON
Jackson RR3 Pro Series
CFH Wah
Quote by HLrocker
Actualy, the guitarist for Weezer plays an Epiphone SG, at least he does in the pork n beans video. I don't know what you consider a great musician, but they've had the number 1 alt. music video all summer.

But Summer started June 21st, so having the 1 spot for a week isn't very impressive.
Weekend Warrior
like, what kind of blues scales sound really good if you put distortion on?
i want my music to have blues elements, but also have a metal feel.
GEAR
Epiphone LesPaul 100
Fender FM212R 100watt
Pawn Shop Strat ripoff
Fender G-Dec
Digitech RP80

GETTING SOON
Jackson RR3 Pro Series
CFH Wah
You've got plenty of time to continue learning.
Just continue learning and practicing and you'll keep getting better. Skill doesn't spike up, it goes up gradually.
Basicly, it's completly inmpossible for you to wright all-originol completly unique songs. You just can't do it. Everything you right will be greatly influenced by the music you listen too, so if you want to be more unique, the only thing you can realy do is listen to a wider range of music, and all that will mesh together into your songs, they still wont be unique, but they will be closer too it.
Quote by dcdossett65

Who.

Cares.
Quote by ML_Guitar09
But Summer started June 21st, so having the 1 spot for a week isn't very impressive.

lol, true. I wasn't counting 'technicle summer weeks'
Quote by dcdossett65

Who.

Cares.
Yeah, i guess your right,
the things i listen to are;
metallica, megadeth, iron maiden, zz top, stevie ray vaughn, joe satriani, steve vai, loads more.
but i just want to learn more so i can make my songs sound unique, kind of how acdc broke in that way, or the samecould be said for megadeth and metallica and testament.
GEAR
Epiphone LesPaul 100
Fender FM212R 100watt
Pawn Shop Strat ripoff
Fender G-Dec
Digitech RP80

GETTING SOON
Jackson RR3 Pro Series
CFH Wah
I know how you feel about trying to be originol though, I'm in the same boat. Everytime I come up with a nice riff or some rhythm part that sounds realy catchy, I find out later that it's too close to some other song. Gets realy aggrivating.
Quote by dcdossett65

Who.

Cares.
learn some yngwie or something
playing metallica isnt going to get you anywhere
Quote by :-D
I once saw somebody carry a Guitar Hero controller in a case to protect it. He probably should have packed his testicles in there too, seeing as he won't need to use those for quite a while.

Explorer Club member #4
PM JEST87 to join
Quote by FightinIrishPJ

Jeez that's the most ignorant thing I've read in a long time.

Sure those things aren't considered great gear, but having great gear isn't going to make you a great musician. And a great musician should be able to play well on anything...maybe they won't sound as good, but that's not what makes you "great." Getting new gear may inspire you to practice more, but that's about it. Musicianship comes from within.

The best blues guitarists out there played boxes with strings tied to them before they actually got a guitar.

Don't judge someone's ability by what they play on.