Standard tuning would look like this (first note omitted):

e------------------------------------7-8-10-12-14-15-|
B------------------------------7-8-10----------------|
G-----------------------4-5-7-9----------------------|
D------------------4-5-7-----------------------------|
A---------0-2-3-5-7----------------------------------|
E----0-1-3-------------------------------------------|

Thanks .

I was learning a song with this scale as the improv part. And I can't remember which song it was or the name of the scale.
The first 8 notes make a D Dorian scale but yeah, bangoodcharlote's right, that's not a scale.
Quote by O-52-A-50-R
Oh... . Are there any scales that are close to those notes?
Are you sure about that low F note? If that's an F#, then it's just a G major scale (or one of the modes, perhaps D Mixo).
Quote by bangoodcharlote
Are you sure about that low F note? If that's an F#, then it's just a G major scale (or one of the modes, perhaps D Mixo).

Oh yeah the "mixo" thing. So I take out the 2 on the E string?

EDIT: Ohh wait. I'm confused. (And i'm going to be taking Music Theory next school year *faceplam*.)

I take out the 1 on the E?
Last edited by O-52-A-50-R at Jun 28, 2008,
Quote by O-52-A-50-R
EDIT: Ohh wait. I'm confused.
About what?
Quote by O-52-A-50-R
I have no idea what you're trying to play, but if you raise that F note to an F#, then you have the G major scale.
Quote by O-52-A-50-R

Don't take it out, just raise it to F#.
Quote by O-52-A-50-R
Which note to change. Can you give me the tab number instead of the note? because for some reason my brain is not understanding
Move the 3 on the low D string (the 1 on low E) up a fret. Do the same for all other Fs (I didn't check if there are any others, nor will I).

Edit: Your changing of this note does not change what was originally played, which may have included F notes.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
Move the 3 on the low D string (the 1 on low E) up a fret. Do the same for all other Fs (I didn't check if there are any others, nor will I).

Edit: Your changing of this note does not change what was originally played, which may have included F notes.

Ok, well thank you . And sorry for being a pain

And thanks pwrmax as well.
Quote by O-52-A-50-R
And sorry for being a pain

You're not a pain, that what this forum is for ... to help out other musicians.
e minor, BUT, theres 1 note thats wrong. the F isnt in the scale (first fret in standard on E string)
*Enter Sig Here*
and for people taht dont know, E minor = G major ; ) there was a whole conversation in the time it took me to type my post lol
*Enter Sig Here*
Quote by Hale_91
whats the song you were learning??

Oh yeah, sorry. It was "Stream" by Tim Reynolds. The ironic part is that I was playing it as I was typing.

EDIT: And that I have a thread about it in the "Advanced Techniques" sub-forum.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
It's not quite that simple.

umm.. it is.. the notes are the same.

order is diff..
but thats not the question.
*Enter Sig Here*
Quote by Hale_91
order is diff..
That's a pretty significant difference.

What you're describing is like saying New York City and Islamabad, Pakistan are the same just because they're populated by humans.
Quote by Hale_91

They have different tonal centers, different intervals and are applied in different settings. The order matters here, so dismissing them as "the same" is wrong.
i didnt believe that it was a scale as a run, i was assuming that it was notes from a solo, or chord progression that he just wrote out.
*Enter Sig Here*
Quote by Hale_91

order is diff..
but thats not the question.
Different chords are used in minor progressions. Different notes are used in minor melodies. As it is commonly written (theoretically), yes they are the same except for the tonal center and the order. In practise, they are completely different scales, as so much alteration is needed to be done to the minor scale to make it resolve/move right.

Most of those notes T/S posted are in G major. It cant be a mode unless theres harmonic content underneath (chords, arpeggios riffs so on), remember
Quote by demonofthenight
It cant be a mode unless theres harmonic content underneath (chords, arpeggios riffs so on), remember
You can imply chords with what you play as well.
where did the notes come from? is it a run, or like what?
*Enter Sig Here*