I dont know exactly what you mean by "shred"
But on Metallica's S&M, James plays an esp EC on "The memory remains"
Yeah the'yre very good. They're basically like a les paul, but better for metal/shred with a more comfortable neck.
Can you sweep?
Quote by Deep*Kick
why do you need to have ur amp flat bickie in your house if you are just practicing is what i'm wondering? Of course it's bad for every1's hearing

Rig:
Ibanez Xiphos7 w/ Blackouts -or- ESPh307->MXR ZW-44-> Peavey 6505+

7/ERG Legion
For that sort of stuff, you'd probably do better with the LTD MH. My friends looking at the MH-50, and they're pretty good. The upper fret access would be much better than that on the EC.
while most people owuld think that a single cutaway would be harder, it really isn't.

i have long fingers, and that might be part of it, but getting to the highest frets on a 24 fret EC500 isn't a big ordeal. probably on the lower 3-4 strings but on the highest three getting up there isn't a huge ordeal.
the neck access on the ESP EC is MUCH better than any LP ive played.

give it a shot and see if you like it
Quote by wannabe jesus
If we did tune using the 5th fret on the G string it'd be a C. At the moment it goes G B which stands for George Bush. So obviously GB doesn't want you to C the truth! To the conspiracy cave!
But if your hands are a little smaller like mine, single cutaways do throw some trouble when playing on higher frets. At least I have a LITTLE more trouble on my Gib LP Studio than on a regular strat-styled axe. But...the trouble isn't enough deterrent for me to not love my LP or sway someone else away from a single-cut guitar
are esp ec guitars hard to "shred" on?

Yes.

If you suck.

Seriously though, they're surprisingly "shreddy" for a singlecut guitar. Good fret access too.

However if you're playing an SG at the moment you'll take a while to get used to it, maybe a Viper would be a better choice. Similar neck but better fret access.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
as the aboev poster said, it would be an easier transition to look into a viper series.
but im making the jump from an SG to an eclipse as well..
Quote by wannabe jesus
If we did tune using the 5th fret on the G string it'd be a C. At the moment it goes G B which stands for George Bush. So obviously GB doesn't want you to C the truth! To the conspiracy cave!
Matt Heafy from trivium used to use some ECs, but you should just try to find one and try it out.
Carvin DC127+Custom Lacewood Build+Godin SD--->Traynor YCV50BLUE

My Build IT'S DONE!
^^I agree. I can shred/solo on mine just fine. It has better access than you'd think.
deviantART ||| flickr
┌( ^_^)┘┌( ^_^)┘┌( ^_^)┘┌( ^_^)┘┌( ^_^)┘┌( ^_^)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ┌( ^_^)┘┌( ^_^)┘┌( ^_^)┘┌( ^_^)┘┌( ^_^)┘
last.fm zune
coryklok is my e-hubby! ^_^
rip Billy Mays <3
alright sweet. haha and at the end of the day, if your good enough you can shred on any guitar. but yea il just try it first
Quote by bean-o
Matt Heafy from trivium used to use some ECs, but you should just try to find one and try it out.

He used gibsons.

unless your talking about before that.... even then that must been a hella long time ago
Guitars-LEFTY
Bernie Rico Jr. Custom Jekyll
Schecter ATX
Schecter Tempest Cust.
Ibanez GIO
Amps
Laney VH100R-Sell/Trade?? pm me
Cube 15
Misc.
THD HOT plate Attentuator and other stuff
Alexi Laiho???...guys a freak on em
Quote by EvilDomo
They say Heath Ledger was a heartthrob...

Apparently, his heart stopped throbbing