Hi, I'm getting a new stratocaster soon and I need to get an amp for it. So far I've been looking at an Marshall MG 30 DFX Marshall or a Vox Valvetronic AD30VT. Vox There both 30 watts, have 2 channels and and are 10". If you have any input on which to buy or would recommend any other 30 watt amps please do so.
Wrong forum. I've reported so a mod can move it.

I would definitely skip the MG, and go for the Vox.
What kind of music do you play, though? Also, 30 watts is kind of an odd amount of power, to me. It's louder than you need for bedroom practice, but it's not loud enough for a band situation. I'd either step down to 15, or go up to 60 watts.
Vox all the way. MG's suck. My guitar teacher has the Vox and it is great! Great effects.

Gear
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Carvin V3 and Marhall 1960A cab
2 B.C. Rich Ironbird Pro
Schecter Hellraiser 6
Boss ML-2

Vox. But i think with the money, you should go out and get a Blackheart 15w combo.

EDIT: Wait, What's your budget like? You may end up only able to afford the 5w version, but both are pretty awesome.
Sorry about putting this in the wrong forum wasn't really paying attention. I don't really what to spend 300$. I tried the MG out today and tried to play the Vox but couldn't figure how to get any sound out of it. I turn it on plug the guitar in, nothing so I tried to take a look at the controls but it was kinda hard cause it was on a shelf and the shelf above kinda limited the space. So any way I flip some stitches and knob but could find out how to get any sound out of it so I gave up. I felt like an absolute idiot because I couldn't even figure out how to get any sound out of it.
Quote by Guitar8000
Sorry about putting this in the wrong forum wasn't really paying attention. I don't really what to spend 300$. I tried the MG out today and tried to play the Vox but couldn't figure how to get any sound out of it. I turn it on plug the guitar in, nothing so I tried to take a look at the controls but it was kinda hard cause it was on a shelf and the shelf above kinda limited the space. So any way I flip some stitches and knob but could find out how to get any sound out of it so I gave up. I felt like an absolute idiot because I couldn't even figure out how to get any sound out of it.

If you are new to guitar, it is a bit confusing.
Gear:
Jackson DKMG
Yamaha Acoustic
Knockoff Strat
Vox AD30VT
Boss MT-2
Crybaby wah
Boss DD-3

The Ultra Balls. Throw them.

Member of the ANTI-IBANEZ MILITIA!
Quote by DinkyDude
If you are new to guitar, it is a bit confusing.

Just new to electric... and amps...
Quote by Guitar8000
Just new to electric... and amps...

There are a couple different channels and a bypass switch on the ADVTs so you made an understandable mistake. Nothin to be embarrased bout.
Gear:
Jackson DKMG
Yamaha Acoustic
Knockoff Strat
Vox AD30VT
Boss MT-2
Crybaby wah
Boss DD-3

If you tried it out at Guitar Center, I'm not surprised. Those guys are such lazy asses, only half of the **** is plugged in most of the time.

Any thoughts on this concern of mine?:
Quote by forsaknazrael
What kind of music do you play, though? Also, 30 watts is kind of an odd amount of power, to me. It's louder than you need for bedroom practice, but it's not loud enough for a band situation. I'd either step down to 15, or go up to 60 watts.
Quote by Guitar8000

you should of asked for some help to get volume from it. There are 2 knobs on the top of the vox that affect the sound, volume & level. On the back there is a knob that says wattage that also affects the volume. At first try and look, it is very confusing, but you'll get used of it.
Ibanez RGT42DXFX with emg 81/85
Schecter C1-Classic
Vox AD30VT
Knock off P-Bass
Quote by forsaknazrael
If you tried it out at Guitar Center, I'm not surprised. Those guys are such lazy asses, only half of the **** is plugged in most of the time.

Any thoughts on this concern of mine?:

+ pi on both acounts
Gear:
Jackson DKMG
Yamaha Acoustic
Knockoff Strat
Vox AD30VT
Boss MT-2
Crybaby wah
Boss DD-3

Quote by forsaknazrael
And I do love pi. I have a thing for irrational numbers, how did you know??

Im like that
Gear:
Jackson DKMG
Yamaha Acoustic
Knockoff Strat
Vox AD30VT
Boss MT-2
Crybaby wah
Boss DD-3

Next time i go in to make a payment I'll try again and if it doesn't work I'll ask for help.
I have both the ADVT and the higher gain ADVT xl.
The non-xl is a little warmer but the xl has more headroom with treble and bass.

The MG isn't something that you'd like to stay with, you'll be very unsatisfied with the tone.

The Vox is a much better choice.
I don't remember where I was,
When I realized life was a game.
The more seriously I took things,
The harder the rules became.
Quote by WH15P3R
I have both the ADVT and the higher gain ADVT xl.

you bought both of these amps? why not save for a better one? lol... whatever your money....

But anyways. Think about marshall. They own all of these high end bands that a lot of popular bands use. Marshall knows the power of their name as they should. So whats the best way to get beginners to buy their ****?

The answer is make a cheap low production cost amp that requires them to spend a fraction of their money and sell their amps for a huge profits because beginners don't have an ear for music. Its true and its an awesome selling strategy because it is working...

MG's use very low quality parts and construction and wiring that... "compliments" this... The vox name is not nearl as big as marshall... beginners hear the name vox and usually don't know what it is. So of course they are going to have to make a higher quality amp to compete with marshall's lower end amp that rides on their name....

so long story short, go with the vox (or a microcube if no one has suggested that yet). much higher quality than the MG and sounds much better to... Your ear will thank you in the long run...
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
Quote by ICANSEEYOU7687
you bought both of these amps? why not save for a better one? lol... whatever your money....

Yup, I play with mates alot and having 2 decent amps at my place is good.
They're the 15(I think) watt ones, and loud enough for what I need in practice amps.
They also work decent for playing small gigs like music assessments.
I was thinking about getting a full tube Mesa or ENGL, but they are WAY overkill for what I need :P
I don't remember where I was,
When I realized life was a game.
The more seriously I took things,
The harder the rules became.
Also in the rules it reads No "Vs" threads at all. But yes do go with the vox.

Gear
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Carvin V3 and Marhall 1960A cab
2 B.C. Rich Ironbird Pro
Schecter Hellraiser 6
Boss ML-2

moved
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure
Quote by ICANSEEYOU7687

But anyways. Think about marshall. They own all of these high end bands that a lot of popular bands use. Marshall knows the power of their name as they should. So whats the best way to get beginners to buy their ****?

The answer is make a cheap low production cost amp that requires them to spend a fraction of their money and sell their amps for a huge profits because beginners don't have an ear for music. Its true and its an awesome selling strategy because it is working...

MG's use very low quality parts and construction and wiring that... "compliments" this... The vox name is not nearl as big as marshall... beginners hear the name vox and usually don't know what it is. So of course they are going to have to make a higher quality amp to compete with marshall's lower end amp that rides on their name....

so long story short, go with the vox (or a microcube if no one has suggested that yet). much higher quality than the MG and sounds much better to... Your ear will thank you in the long run...
I was on vacation so I've been away for a while. I was looking at a micro-cube as well but my guitar teacher said to get a Marshall and not the micro cube because he thought the name sounded nerdy, maybe I'll take another look at it.
Go with the vox. I hate MGs
CLICK ME

Quote by lrc95

hi, i was just wondering how to post a thread?

Quote by AS I LAY DYING!
and USD is equal to how much in US dollars?

Quote by Armchair Bronco
Everyone must own a DS-1 at some point in their playing career.

^^idiots