Yamaha Acoustic
Knockoff Strat
Vox AD30VT
Boss MT-2
Crybaby wah
Boss DD-3

The Ultra Balls. Throw them.

Member of the ANTI-IBANEZ MILITIA!
The EMGS dont have a fantastic clean tone, but imho, they do the job pretty well.
Gear:
Jackson DKMG
Yamaha Acoustic
Knockoff Strat
Vox AD30VT
Boss MT-2
Crybaby wah
Boss DD-3

The Ultra Balls. Throw them.

Member of the ANTI-IBANEZ MILITIA!
Ibanez because of their necks.

I'd choose Jackson if you were gonna do some heavier stuff though
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
Jackson MG series DKMG, looks ftw, and I've only heard good things about Jackson guitars. Also Jackson is generally ftw.
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
i like the jacksons but i would rather get the dk2m the one with the maple fretboard
EMGs clean tone isnt bad, for metal etc. but its not that great if u want a more sweeter sounding clean tone (more jazzy or funky or whatever).

id go with the DK2. the pickup layout will probably give u the versatility u need. all 4 guitars r pretty decent anyway (imo), so i guess looks r probably the best tie breaker.
Gear:

Epiphone Zakk Wylde Signature Les Paul Custom
Ibanez RG

Marshall JCM 2000 DSL100

Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Digitech Whammy IV
Boss BF-3 Flanger
Boss DD-20 Delay

Line6 Pod X3
if you want versatility, I'd go for the Jackson DK2 or RG prestige, just my preference.

But I'd also look at LTD MH or M 400 and above series as well.

Right about the cleans not being great on the EMG pickups.

Untimately it comes down to what feels and sounds right to you,,,
Quote by darkstar2466

You are an idiot. Idiots get punished. You will be punished.
Build quality? Don't buy an Ibanez... Mine was JUNK. Jackson are built better in general, and my DK2T rivals US built guitars in quality.
DKMG. Find one in black and your set. imho, most guitars look better in black.

Jags in Olympic White with a tortise shell or black pikguard, black hardware, maple neck

mmmmm
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Quote by tuwyci
why are metal musicians prone to fatness?
Cause there music is heavy.

Writing music is hard D:
Quote by CJRocker
Build quality? Don't buy an Ibanez... Mine was JUNK. Jackson are built better in general, and my DK2T rivals US built guitars in quality.

My RG is one of the most solid guitars i have ever owned. Build quality on a prestige is absolutely great

Gear:
Ibanez JPM P100A
Schecter C7 Loomis
Ibanez Rg1570
Agile Intrepid 828 Pro Dual
Schecter Omen FR Extreme
Ibanez RG550 (Fernandez Sustainer)
Laney World Series 120-TR
POD X3 Live
jackson dkmg or the hot rod one
Gear:
Morpheus Droptune
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Bugera 333xl 212
SCHECTER JEFF LOOMIS C7 FR
The DKMG or the rg2550

Its funny you picked those two, I am trying to decide which of those 2 to buy right now lol.
Ibanez doesn't make very good stock pickups.
"Acoustic Guitars are totally lame and not metal"- Nathan Explosion
The Saber is MIK, so most likely the least reliable.
Both Jacksons and the RG are MIJ, but Jackson's best guitars are from America, so keep that in mind.
Most likely it'd be down to neck preference really.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
The DK2 if you want versatility, its a great guitar.

I prefer the tone of jacksons in general, ya get a warmer, more natural sound than with Ibanezes IMO. The only other notable difference are the necks, I find jackson necks to be like a strat neck comfort wise but it is thinner and quicker to play. Ibanez necks for me push the thin vs comfort barrier too far and im not a huge fan, but its up to you.
For versatility, go for the DK2. Great stock pickups compared to the Ibanez's and its HSS configuration. EMGs wont cut it. Jacksons have great build quality too.
The only non-'duncan design' pickup on the Jackson is the JB. On the other hand Ibanez's PUs are sh!t.
And the Jackson bridge isn't as good as the Ibanez bridge.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
I actually own that DK2 and I think its a wonderful guitar! The pickups are really good, though I'm changing the neck pickup to a little 59 soon, for now I use the bridge for leads and its really good.

The Jacksons have great pickups, and pretty good bridges, But those Ibanez's have better trems by fare, I have not used the RG, but I have used the S and the playability and trem alone makes it awsome.

I personally say if ur really heavy into trem use and you want a thicker tone, get the S and swap out the pickups for some Dimarzios.

Just talkin from experience, only played the above mentioned...
i'd say, for shred, theres a reason why satch and vai play ibanez although i myself would say jackson.

thats a pretty broad, un-specific and un-helpful answer
Quote by Black-Metal
i'd say, for shred, theres a reason why satch and vai play ibanez although i myself would say jackson.

thats a pretty broad, un-specific and un-helpful answer

The reason vai's sig guitar is from ibanez is because they are the only company that would make the monkey grip.
Quote by Copilot911
The reason vai's sig guitar is from ibanez is because they are the only company that would make the monkey grip.

that handle thing they have?
its looks ridiculous.

and that can't be the only reason he chose ibanez?
because they put a handle on the guitar.
he must have liked them in the first place
before i bought my new guitar (DK2M maple fretboard)
i tried all of the ones in those list and the jacksons won all the time, easier playing, better build quality etc etc

and plus if your goin for a tremelo the jackson licensed ones are far supierior to ibanez edge series
dont get me wrong i like ibanez guitars, but compared to jackson there generally inferior

with the DK2M aswell has the seymour duncan jazz pickup at the neck which is good for versatility and clean toness

anyways hope helped (:

Dan
I've heard people say that the "monkey grip" on Vai's guitar alters the sound, and not for the better.

Anyone know anything about this? I've never played one, in fact i've never even seen one IRL.
"Sig? No sorry I don't smoke."
Quote by NvRShred
I've heard people say that the "monkey grip" on Vai's guitar alters the sound, and not for the better.

Anyone know anything about this? I've never played one, in fact i've never even seen one IRL.

I would guess that if it were true, it would be the same case of someone cutting out a block of the wood in their guitar to put a FR in when it's a hardtail.

However, I have had no experience with a JEM (unfortunately) and therefore cannot comment. I'm sure it wouldn't alter the tone TOO MUCH.
Quote by JMTrio134
^really? i said versatility was important. how are EMG's clean tone?

Don't put it in your list then if you question him when he recommends it like that.

Personally I'd say the S series, purely because I'm a big fan of them.
Funny words.
Prestige RG

All the people dissing ibanezs build quality, have you ever played a MIJ Prestige?

The pickups ARE real dimarzios, not crappy stock pickups.

The Edge Zero is one of the best tremelos on the market now.
Ibanez Jem 777BK, Carvin DC727, Fender MIM Strat
Mesa Boogie DC5
Xotic BB Preamp, Ts9, BBE GS, Boss DD-6
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Ask me any questions about my gear!
Why don't you just go try them?

"Shred" is all about comfort in my opinion and that's going to be different for everybody. Personally I have found that Jacksons work best for me. But go with what your hands tell you.
♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪
Quote by ESPplayer5150
i like the jacksons but i would rather get the dk2m the one with the maple fretboard

Like mine

Quote by Teh GIR
Prestige RG

All the people dissing ibanezs build quality, have you ever played a MIJ Prestige?

The pickups ARE real dimarzios, not crappy stock pickups.

The Edge Zero is one of the best tremelos on the market now.

Which makes a change from most Ibanez guitars...
Flap it and enjoy yourself...

Xbox Live GT = The Donkey Fly
'...and those who fought on that day of honor, the day of victory shall be forever remembered as Lime Green' - Oct 31st 08
Quote by Black-Metal
that handle thing they have?
its looks ridiculous.

and that can't be the only reason he chose ibanez?
because they put a handle on the guitar.
he must have liked them in the first place

Yes its exactly why, before ibanez Vai played jacksons. Then he played a custom guitar by Tom Anderson but he ripped the tremolo right out. So then he wanted a custom guitar made but it had to be designed by tom anderson and they agreed. They were the only ones who agreed.