Hey mates, I'm considering buy a quilt-top Epiph LP that looks and sounds badass, but he's selling it at $550 + hardshell case, seems like a good deal. However the headstock looks exactly like this:

I've never seen an epiph LP say Gibson, I want to know what this means and why its not a model indicator.

And I'm wondering if anyone has seen these/know if im being ripped off. The guitar is missing a tuning peg, I feel this might depreciate the value, a matching peg will be a bitch to find and at least $8-10 after shipping.
Quote by DarkGrey
Hey mates, I'm considering buy a quilt-top Epiph LP that looks and sounds badass, but he's selling it at $550 + hardshell case, seems like a good deal. However the headstock looks exactly like this:

I've never seen an epiph LP say Gibson, I want to know what this means and why its not a model indicator.

And I'm wondering if anyone has seen these/know if im being ripped off. The guitar is missing a tuning peg, I feel this might depreciate the value, a matching peg will be a bitch to find and at least $8-10 after shipping.

Looks like one of my MIJ Epis ... it should say MIJ in the back of the headstock. Also, tuners are inexpensive.

A lot of Epiphones come with "Gibson" on the truss rod cover. As far the actual guitar goes, given the 2 hole truss rod cover and the open book headstock it's most likely a Japan only guitar, meaning they're only sold in Japan. Seems like a good deal to me.
I'll take a pic of the actual guitar later, its a US made 2001 if I read correctly. But I'm pretty sure I will purchase..
My 1996 Epiphone Paul has the same truss rod cover only mine has three screws instead of two, getting ready to buy the regular "Les Paul Standard" truss rod cover to replace it, I dont really like the fact it says gibson if its not an genuine gibson
Yeah thats what I'm wondering...I kinda like the semi-rareity but it seems odd that it says Gibson for no reason at all, it makes it hard to determine exactly what kind of guitar it is.
Quote by DarkGrey
Yeah thats what I'm wondering...I kinda like the semi-rareity but it seems odd that it says Gibson for no reason at all, it makes it hard to determine exactly what kind of guitar it is.

As mentioned by Whole Lotta Led, lots of Epis have the Gibson truss rod cover, after all, Epi is owned by Gibson. It's just like Squiers have Squier by Fender, since Fender owns Squier.

The open book headstock on that Epi looks better than the chopped off headstock of the Epis that are MIK or MIC, IMO.
As said before, plenty of Epiphones say Gibson on the truss rod cover. My friend's Les Paul has it, but his is the traditional headstock shape. I'd go for that one, you don't see a lot of Epiphones with the Gibson shaped headstocks.
My dad's freind has an older (late 80's early 90s) epi LP (same model as the special 2) and it says GIBSON on the cover.
The Best Floyd Rose Is A Setup Floyd Rose!

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
03 B.C. Rich NJ Warlock Speedloader
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
i have an epiphone sitting in my lap that says gibson on the truss rod cover, haha only its a strat you dont see these things around too much any more
Yeah I know they come like that from factory, but I just don't like the look of it , IMO. It looks cheap, I like the look of the normal "Les Paul Standard" cover, or "Les Paul Custom" ext. But of course I'll save the original one incase I was to ever sell or it became rare or something.