I've been noticing that lately that I haven't been progressing hardly at all and my fingers are freezing up in the middle of songs and I need some finger exercises that I can do when I'm not playing or something help would be appreciated thank you
Quote by mrvile
What do you mean by your "fingers are freezing up?"

Probably means locking up. Mine do that and i usually have to crack my knuckles to get them free again.
Gear:
Electric
Yamaha RGX520
Fender Strat HSS

Acoustic
1952 Martin and Co 00-18.
Yamaha FGX730SCA

Amp
Fender Twin Reverb
Fender Amp FM25 DSP

Pedals
Boss DS-1
Quote by jxmxaxn
Probably means locking up. Mine do that and i usually have to crack my knuckles to get them free again.

Hmm, that's never happened to me before but it sounds scary

But yeah, the 5-6-7-8 from string to string is a good excercise. My friend's teacher (I'm self-taught) tells him to do that every day to warm up and I trust that it's legit.
What I mean by my fingers freezing up is I'm playing a song and all of a sudden my fingers just stop and freeze and its like I have almost no control over them anymore and it takes like 10 minutes before I can start playing again and its just horrible because its stoping me from learning new songs and I can't progress at all and I'm not sure why.
Quote by DanteLord
-------5--6--7--8--

on all the strings. just go up and down and try to get all of them correct.

good but also variations upon, such as goin thorugh these:

-5-6-7-8---6-7-8-5---7-8-5-6---8-5-6-7

then start stretching your fingers:

-4-6-7-8---4-5-7-8---4-5-6-8---4-6-7-9---4-6-8-10-

thats about it for linier exercises. Move those patterns accross the strings and along the fret board. Start the stretches on higher frets for less straing and move lower for larger stretches through time.

=]

edit: also you can do some non-guitar warm ups. stretching fingers, wrists etc. Also for finger independance place your hand on a table,desk or even your guitar. Then number each finger 1-4. Lift 1 and 3, then 2&4 repeatidly, then develop some other patterns for this.

Good luck!

Origionaly Posted by CTFOD
Origionaly Posted by hownowbrowncow:
Get a new bicycle
Then you can ride it with no handlebars.

No handlebars.

No handlebars...
Last edited by Tenacious D'er at Jun 28, 2008,
I will definantelly try those but I'm starting to think its subcontious and I need a little break from guitar for awhile thank you for all the exercises and the weird and random comment saying masturbation overall thank you and I hope that it'll help to take this brake oh and by the way typing on iPod so sorry for bad grammar
Put ten kgs on your hand and do finger pushups. Those work for me.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I masturbated in front of a mirror and I pretended Bob Barker was giving me a handjob.

Quote by Bazilisck311

You know you're a guitar player if the pianist at your wedding plays "Eruption"
=], i'm just finishin a break, my guitar partner was away on holiday so i gave myself one, but thats over today!

have fun!

Origionaly Posted by CTFOD
Origionaly Posted by hownowbrowncow:
Get a new bicycle
Then you can ride it with no handlebars.

No handlebars.

No handlebars...
Ya I might go on break maybe for a 3weeks or so then go back in and hopefully try those exercises and clear my mind and maybe just maybe I might beat this