So this thread has two main points;
First off could people recomend me some funk in the vein of James Brown. Because everything else ive listened to sounded like a watered down rap song.
Secondly, I just started playing bass and would like to know some good funk techniques or easy/fun funk songs to learn on bass.
Thanks in advance all
Funkadelic
Parliament
Red Hot Chili Peppers

The chili Peppers are funk rock, but they have great basslines that can help you get better. And to anybody else who's into funk, what Funkadelic and Parliament albums should I start with?
Funkadelic=Maggot Brain
Parliament=Mothership Connection
And to the guy who originall posted, The Meters are a good instrumental funk band that sounds like James Brown w/ more of a Southern flavor. And I think I posted a list of albums a while back in "The ONLY Funk Thread", which is located in the Blues/Jazz section. Consult that for any further inquiries.
Quote by IcePh0enix
Funkadelic
Parliament
Red Hot Chili Peppers

The chili Peppers are funk rock, but they have great basslines that can help you get better. And to anybody else who's into funk, what Funkadelic and Parliament albums should I start with?

Early rhcp was awesome funk..
i'm playing a funk and reggae tribute show, and i've lately been exposed to a lot of funk. Look-ka-py-py is a really good catchy instrumental funk song and it's by The Meters. Sly and the Family Stone's bassist actually invented slap and i'm pretty sure Thank You is the song he invented it on. I'm sure these are both classic funk songs.

Look-ka-py-py - The Meters
Thank You - Sly and the Family Stone
Quote by IcePh0enix
Funkadelic
Parliament
Red Hot Chili Peppers

yes.

get the clones of dr. funkenstein by parliament, and funkadelic try maggot brain.
98% of teens have been around or have had alcohol. Put this in your sig if you like bagels.

member number five of the Omar Alfredo Rodriguez-Lopez fan club

creator/owner of the yankees fans group