ok this is pretty basic question but im putting it out there neway
wat eq pattern generates a good crunch tone
and also wat kind of sound does a scooped mids setting give you (compared to a non-scooped setting)?
note i have already posted this question in a settings thread and havent gotten an answer in 3 days
Usually boosted mids and treble will give you a "crunch" tone.
Scooping is more of a hollow tone. Just try it yourself.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
EQ settings are generally down to personnal taste. Scooped tones deliver "harsher" tones due to high treble but also "deeper" sounds with more bass.

Spend some time messing about with different extremes. Do some research on your favourite artists EQ settings and use them for influence.

For crunch tones i would say Bass - 4-6 Mid - 7-8 Treble 5-7 but that is really just quessing...

Good luck!

Origionaly Posted by CTFOD
Origionaly Posted by hownowbrowncow:
Get a new bicycle
Then you can ride it with no handlebars.

No handlebars.

No handlebars...
yeah i know its personal taste but i just wanted to get a framework b4 i start messing around with it.
here's the thing: i currently use a scooped mids setting
bass: 7
mid:4
treble: 9
i like the crunch i get on the bottom end, but the sound is very hollow. I wanna beef it up, but i dont wanna lose that bottom end crunch, wich tends to get lost when i up the mids too much. any help here?
oh and if it helps
pre gain: 10
post gain: 1.5
i no its weird but this the best way to get a good crunch out of my amp. Anthing past 3 on post gain gets my mom yelling at me to turn it down, and anytime i turn down pregain the sound seems to get kinda muddy. Again, help would b appreciated
Boost the mids and bass then.
And, what amp are you even using?
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
peavey transtube 258 efx
yeah i no solid state=s***y quality regardless but id like to clean the sound up as best i can until i can find the time to go buy a better one
for some reason, im one of those ppl who cant find the isnpiration to play unless the sound quality is good. take from that wat u will but thats jus the way i am. any other help here?
Actually, the Transtube series is probably one of the better SS practice amps out there. Right up there with the cube, IMO.
I'm just like you, I don't like to play if my tone sucks. Luckily, my tone is pretty good.

Just fiddle around with your knobs. I don't own your amp, so I don't know how it reacts to EQ settings. Just try cutting and boosting frequencies, playing around with the gain, and get something which works for you. And check youtube for demo videos of the transtube series, and see what they use.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
good suggestions
and i do agree compared to other ss amps this one is great...but its still bad lol
also if theres neone who has a transtube series amp by peavey, have u found any settings that sound good? I know that whole idea is subjective but id like to get some general opinions from other ppl