Testament
Megadeth
Slayer
Mastodon
Deftones
Alice in Chains
Foo Fighters
Rodrigo y Gabriela
Def learn your minor pentatonic first.. it's very simple. Then learn the major pentatonic and u can go onto the major scale. Get the scale down to speed.. a good idea would be using a metronome-
Quote by emP
Def learn your minor pentatonic first.. it's very simple. Then learn the major pentatonic and u can go onto the major scale. Get the scale down to speed.. a good idea would be using a metronome-

The major scale should be the first scale any guitarist should learn.
Its the building blocks of every single scale and alot of theory.
Been away, am back
Quote by joyal09
what are the basic scales i should learn/memorize?
any links/diagrams would be great thanks.
Id go off and google it myself, but before i learn it i want to make sure its the right one. thanks!

The major scale is where it all begins so you ned to start with that if you're serious about learning.

Learn the notes on the fretboard first if you haven't already done so, then read Josh Urbans first "Crusade" article in the columns section to get you started.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Learn them in this order

Major Scale
Natural Minor
Major Pentatonic
Minor Pentatonic
Blues Scale

Those are pretty good for starters
learn this major scale shape

E|---------------------------------------------7-8
B|--------------------------------------8-10-----
G|----------------------------7-9-10------------
D|------------------7-9-10----------------------
A|--------7-8-10--------------------------------
E|-8-10------------------------------------------

Thats C major on starting on the 6th string, learn all the notes from 0 to the 12th fret on the E string, then you can apply the 8 (C) to any position on the E string and play the shape above to be the Major Scale in any key.
Also don't just learn the scale shapes learn the notes in them. A good thing to do is to SAY the notes as you're playing them.
Learn how to CONSTRUCT scales!!!!!! I hope you already know what whole and half steps are. Here's the Major scale formula WWHWWWH. You can play a major scale anywhere you want. W= whole step H= half step. Just in case you don't know anything about intervals a whole step is the distance from fret 1 to fret 3 (2 FRETS) A half step is the distance from fret 1 to fret 2(1 FRET)

Heres and example G MAJOR SCALE
G, A, B, C, D, E, F#, G.

Apply the WWHWWWH formula to one string at first so you hear what it sounds like. Then apply it to six strings. When playing down different strings a whole step is equal to four frets back and a half step is 3 EXCEPT when going to the b string in that case it is one less.
You shouldn't use whole and half tones to construct scales.
You should use intervals.
Been away, am back
Quote by rbouchard47
same thing. Do you mean C to D as an interval?

Very different things.

The major scale in tones is W W H W W W H
The major scale in intervals is 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 1

However, you would never use tones to work out other scales. You would base every single other scale of the major scale using intervals. IE Mixolydian: 1 2 3 4 5 6 b7 1

You would use the relative major scale in relation to those intervals to work out the notes for mixolydian.
Been away, am back
She doesnt need to know about modes yet logz. At least i showed her how to make the major scale instead of showing some dumb diagram that gives zero explanation of what it really is
Quote by rbouchard47
She doesnt need to know about modes yet logz. At least i showed her how to make the major scale instead of showing some dumb diagram that gives zero explanation of what it really is

Im not saying she needs to learn modes.
Im saying, The earlier you start to learn intervals and get them into your head, the easier it will be later. Especially if you learn Tones first.

There only ever useful for the major scale.
Been away, am back
modes
Gear
Fender Stratocaster MIM
Jackson DX10
Epiphone Les Paul Custom (neck: Seymour Duncan Jazz, Bridge: Seymour Duncan Distortion)
Marshall Mg50dfx
Digitech Metal Master
Crybaby 535Q
Quote by joyal09
okay cool thanks. Are these daigrams correct? (you have to scroll down)

http://www.justinguitar.com/en/SC-001-TheMajorScale.php

Also, were do i start, on the fret board? Do i start on the 5th fret?

Forget the patterns for the time being.

Take a step back from the guitar and do some background reading - namely the aforementioned Crusade article.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by jdmusic
Learn them in this order

Major Scale
Natural Minor
Major Pentatonic
Minor Pentatonic
Blues Scale

Those are pretty good for starters

that sounds about right
however, i would prioritize the pentatonic depending on wat music u play. if ur into more bluesy rock stuff, do the minor pentatonic first, but if ur a more country rock kinda guy, the pentatonic major should b learned first