Page 1 of 2
I have been exploring some very weird tunings lately like Open D (D-A-D-F♯-A-D) and Dsus4 (D-A-D-G-A-D). I have recently become very curious about different tunings. So is there a "heaviest tuning" or is it a matter of how low you can get your guitar down to?
I think some people try to go as low as Drop G, but there isn't much of a point.
2008 Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Currently amp-less!

Fund My GAS
Quote by rwalby9
I think some people try to go as low as Drop G, but there isn't much of a point.

Why not just play bass?

Alot of people thing the lower the heavier, and to some extent I guess it's true, but you can write some pretty heavy riffs in E Standard.
well, ive heard really heavy things written on E standart,
newer nightwish songs are played on D standart...and its not so heavy

reminds me of a riff on an opeth song, "the drapery falls" played on standart tunning, it goes like
guitar 1
d--------3-----
a-----2-----3-
e--1-----2----

guitar 2
d--------4-----
a-----3-----4-
e--2-----3----

and sounds REALLY heavy, distortion + heavy dissonance
---
i got tired of my signature and i no longer has one

---
Yeah you really don't need to tune low to write heavy stuff. Actually I tend to write some very melodic and not heavy stuff in lower tunings. Real heavy stuff comes from the two D's:distortion and dissonance.
I always keep one of my guitars tuned to drop-d down a full step.

Which, I guess could be considered drop C? Sorry if my terms are incorrect but, I normally just play in the standard EADGBe tuning anyway. So, there was never really any need for me to memorize open tunings and such...
a tuning is a tuning is a tuning. tuning lower won't make it any "heavier" unless you play it heavier. which generally requires knocking the ever loving sh!t out of your strings. if you play it in E or C or drop F (meshuggah, 8 strings ftw) its going to sound as heavy and brutal or light and fruity and flowery as you make it sound by the way you play it.
The heaviest and darkest song you will ever hear, come from a wooden guitar (Acoustic ) played by johnny cash or steve earle
if you wanna be really br00tal, don't tune your guitar at all. just put some strings on it. can't get more br00tal than that.

drop C is as far as i will go, anything after that sounds ****. besides i use 10-46 strings anyways so drop tunings are not very common for me (even though i play metal).
Quote by coolstoryangus
Pffffffft schematics

Although i guess the OP will have to get used to reading them if he's going to buy a bugera..
Quote by gregs1020

along with fire escape routes...

You don't have to use a certain tuning to be heavy, though I do think there's a very heavy feel to B standard at times.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
Drop-C is probably my favorite tuning because the strings are kinda slacked so it makes advanced techniques easier and more likely that you'll be able to pull them off. And pretty much everything you play in Drop-C sounds real freakin' heavy if it's distorted.
Don't mess with me. I know kung fu.

Quote by Nirvana6722
I have been exploring some very weird tunings lately like Open D (D-A-D-F♯-A-D) and Dsus4 (D-A-D-G-A-D). I have recently become very curious about different tunings. So is there a "heaviest tuning" or is it a matter of how low you can get your guitar down to?
Normal regular E standard using creativity and theory

So fucken br00tal
The more you downtune the less tension is on your strings. If you're going to downtune like some little noob fairy you need to get your guitar setup
Quote by Free Time
The more you downtune the less tension is on your strings. If you're going to downtune like some little noob fairy you need to get your guitar setup
What about if they get ridiculously heavy strings? Like 14's or something
^Baritone guitars are designed to take up to 17's. However, they do need to be set up.
i have a 7 string in standard. BEADGBE low enough for me.

and my 6 string is in open C major CGCGCE.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
It doesnt matter what tuning you use. You can be heavy in any tuning.

BUT, if you must know, Meshuggah wins this thread. F Standard on an 8 String.
Quote by MoogleRancha
It's like Fenriz and J. Read

"I'm so happy to love metal and stuff"

"I AM metal"
the best way to sound is heavy is constrast between high notes (or chords) and now notes, for example , palm muting the low D notes....

e|--------------------11-------------------------
B|--------------------10-------------------------
G|---------------------8--------------------------
D|------------------------------------------------
A|---0--0---0------------------------------------
D|---0--0---0------------------------------------

and that D# diminished chord will make it sound more dissonant sounding.
Quote by demonofthenight
What about if they get ridiculously heavy strings? Like 14's or something

really thick strings do make up a little bit for the slack thats given. i'm not physicist so i can't say WHY, but i do know for a fact that they DO make up for it. I use drop C tuning with .70 - .13's and theres still a bit of slack on them (although i do like it with a bit of slack they drop out of tune easily) a proper setup would most likely fix this.
Quote by Nirvana6722
"Heaviest" meaning the most hardcore sound you can possibly get on a guitar.

I still don't get it.

Please use music terminology.
Quote by Nirvana6722
"Heaviest" meaning the most hardcore sound you can possibly get on a guitar.

plug guitar into distortion pedal, turn it on and up to the loudest most distorted setting, turn on the gain/distortion on the amp. turn the amp up to 11, proceed to beat guitar with hammer. this will give you the most hardcore sound you can possibly get on a guitar. if possible commit infanticide into the pickups to get an even more brutal sound.
again its how you play the thing, not how its tuned

but yer drop Cs not really that heavy a good 1/2 way house and as far down as ill go

but imo id say B std or drop B is the "heaviest" get some pretty brutal beatdowns chugging open string with that tuning
Quote by Dan818
again its how you play the thing, not how its tuned

exactly.....i can write something in E standard that'll be way heavier than anything breaking benjamin will ever do (they tune to drop B and drop C)
Quote by z4twenny
exactly.....i can write something in E standard that'll be way heavier than anything breaking benjamin will ever do (they tune to drop B and drop C)

they aren't worthy of that low a tuning anyways.

i recommend drop b or a if you want mega low chugs and such. that or to be simple drop d.
Quote by Fzau
Wait.. you had sex thirty seconds ago and now you're in The Pit?
... you sir, are sick...

Quote by timeconsumer09
Quote by ThatGuy177
I can play bass.
That's not a useless talent.
It's just useless.

look up Somethings missing by John Mayer, its not heavy in the metal sense but heavy emotionaly, he tunes his guitar very differently and nearly everything sounds super distant and profound, heavy is all about rhythm anyway isn't it?
Quote by z4twenny
plug guitar into distortion pedal, turn it on and up to the loudest most distorted setting, turn on the gain/distortion on the amp. turn the amp up to 11, proceed to beat guitar with hammer. this will give you the most hardcore sound you can possibly get on a guitar. if possible commit infanticide into the pickups to get an even more brutal sound.
+1 on infanticide. But you forgot the non-compulsory satanic ritual.
IMO, 4-stringed Bass standard is pretty heavy...
Strat / SH-201 -> DOD Mixer -> ZVex Mastotron -> Fulltone Clyde -> BYOC OD II -> Ibanez FLL -> VS Chorus -> DOD FX 96 -> Boss DD-6 -> MXR 10-Band EQ -> Boss RC-2 -> Stereo Mixer -> Alesis PicoVerb -> Peavey Delta Blues 210/Yamaha Fifty112
Quote by demonofthenight
+1 on infanticide. But you forgot the non-compulsory satanic ritual.

i also forgot the walrus rape too..... i apologize....
There's no such thing as a 'heaviest tiuning', it's all down to opinion, I mean Slayer use E standard in some songs, and I would personally consider them heavier than Korn who use drop A, but if you mean the lowest tuning, the lowest I've heard of is F standard (F Bb Eb Ab C F) and that's tuned down, not up, I think Meshuggah use it.
listen nubbycakes, if you want to play heavy learn wtf you're doing. Your tuning doesn't matter. I see all these noobs saying "drop c", "drop a", and "drops e". It doesn't matter what tuning you're in. I can play everything you can play in stanard. Take some lessons and you won't have guys like me bitch slapping you around all day.
Page 1 of 2