So, gas is getting ridiculous. I'm trying to cut the trailer out of the picture for touring and stuff it all into a van. As such calls for, I'm downsizing my equipment. I'm looking to sell off my half stack and get a great combo amp. The problem is I don't know much about many combo amps out there. What are some higher end ones? I play powerpoprockwhatever. Think along the lines of U2 meets Motley Crue, if that will do anything for you. I'm terrible at explaining this. As a half stack, my tone needs would be suited by a mesa boogie dual rectifier, kind of deal. Suggestions?
Why don't you keep your head and get a 2x12 cabinet?
twin reverb?

edit: i go to brush my teeth and i am beaten to it.

but i agree with the other guys just get a mesa combo, it will be closer to the tone you already have.
Last edited by tona_107 at Jun 29, 2008,
Quote by \m/metallica\m/
2 things, you could sell your mesa 4x12 cab and get a 2x12 mesa cab instead or you could go with a roadster combo, which would be better than the dual rect.

Looking to save the hassle and just go combo. How is a roadster combo better than a dual rect?
Quote by imgooley
Why don't you keep your head and get a 2x12 cabinet?

+1 I'm with imgooley on this one

Also doesn't Mesa have a Dual Rec Roadster now if you insist on going with a combo?
-Denny
PRS Singlecut Trem

Member #2 of the Coheed and Cambria fanclub, PM dementedpuppy to join.
Quote by James_Het_Rules
Fender twin reverb combos are amazing dude, just get yourself a good FX pedal and its great i used my old band teachers one at a gig and the thing was louder than hell, when it wasnt even all the way up i couldnt hear the drummer, and thats saying alot. Plus they're tube so they sound great.

Have you ever even heard a Dual Rectifier before?

OP, look into Mesa Boogie's line of combos, they'll be your best bet for getting the closest tone to your Dual Rec as a combo. Heck, they might even have Dual Rectifier combos.
so the roadster is a dual rectifier combo basically. neat. i'd never heard of it. are there any other amps that are worthwhile looking into for alternatives? i almost definitely want a combo, no 2x12 please.
They have a cheaper rectoverb combo out there, but if you want more versatility the roadster is the way to go man. 4 channels, its a solid solid amp. It's better than the dual rectifier becuase thats what it is, just more. http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Rectifier_Series/roadster/roadster.html
check it out, itll be more expensive, but itll be worth it.
+1 to downsizing to 2x12.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Quote by \m/metallica\m/
ts a solid solid amp. It's better than the dual rectifier

wat.

Magicedit:
Quote by James_Het_Rules
No sorry guys ive lived in a city with 2,000 people in it for the last 16 years of my life lol, so the best ive seen are line 6's and fenders haha. But a guy a know has a dual rec... and yes i know it sounds amazing.. and someday.. i might be able to get one too haha

Ahh, then all is forgiven.
Quote by yatta
so the roadster is a dual rectifier combo basically. neat. i'd never heard of it. are there any other amps that are worthwhile looking into for alternatives? i almost definitely want a combo, no 2x12 please.

So you are getting a 2x12 combo? Why not just get a 2x12 cab? I'm lost here...

EDIT: Or even a 1x12 if a 2x12 is too big?
Quote by imgooley
So you are getting a 2x12 combo? Why not just get a 2x12 cab? I'm lost here...

EDIT: Or even a 1x12 if a 2x12 is too big?

+1

A 2x12 cab won't be a bitch to take around touring or anything either. Plus with a 2x12 cab, you'll have more headroom (I think, not too sure) compared to a 2x12 combo.
You can get lucky on craigslist and find a Rectoverb combo.

Literally a 2 channel Dual Rec in 2x12 format.

I don't agree with people recommending a Twin Reverb...
How can you recommend that when he's using a Dual Rectifier?

They're like, opposite?
Member of UG Gain whores.
PM Gpderek09 to join!
Traynor YCV50 is worth a look for the styles you play, or the 80 watter if you need more headroom.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by \m/metallica\m/
They have a cheaper rectoverb combo out there, but if you want more versatility the roadster is the way to go man. 4 channels, its a solid solid amp. It's better than the dual rectifier becuase thats what it is, just more. http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Rectifier_Series/roadster/roadster.html
check it out, itll be more expensive, but itll be worth it.

WTF!
the roadster is a tube amp you morron.

Kramer Focus 3000
Ibanez ATK300
Rocktron Chameleon
Digitech IPS33B
Ibanez WH10
Korg Pitchblack
Line6 UX2
Quote by helsinki_vampir
WTF!
the roadster is a tube amp you morron.

You're the moron here, no offense. He said "solid solid amp". He said it's a solid amp, good and reliable and what not, you know? He did not say anything about solid state.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Thanks for all the suggestions so far! I don't want a cab because a combo amp also makes setup and teardown that much quicker and easier. I'm a vocalist at the core, and a secondary guitarist. I have much more to set up on the vocal end for every show that makes it near impossible to worry about setting up my amp.

Are there any other suggestions? I may be phasing out my guitar in a lot of songs, so maybe I don't want a 2k amp if I'm only going to be playing it for 4 songs in a set. The saved money would let me invest in other things for my mic. Thanks a lot!

I've also been a huge fan of orange amps' tones.
Last edited by yatta at Jun 29, 2008,
If you already use a pa you could completely eliminate an amp altogether by using a direct box or a modeler. That would save a lot of space and $$$.
Quote by Bertallica
If you already use a pa you could completely eliminate an amp altogether by using a direct box or a modeler. That would save a lot of space and $$$.

Eh... that's not exactly what I'm hoping for. I'm a touring musician. I don't control the PA's at all shows, and you don't use an amp modeler in studio. Thanks though
Quote by yatta
Thanks for all the suggestions so far! I don't want a cab because a combo amp also makes setup and teardown that much quicker and easier. I'm a vocalist at the core, and a secondary guitarist. I have much more to set up on the vocal end for every show that makes it near impossible to worry about setting up my amp.

Are there any other suggestions? I may be phasing out my guitar in a lot of songs, so maybe I don't want a 2k amp if I'm only going to be playing it for 4 songs in a set. The saved money would let me invest in other things for my mic. Thanks a lot!

I've also been a huge fan of orange amps' tones.

The Traynor YCV50 is $750 if you want to spend a bit less - it's no Mesa, but it should handle the stuff you play no problem.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Traynor-Custom-Valve-50BLUE-YCV50BLUE-50W-All-Tube-1x12-Combo-Amp-with-Celestion-Speaker?sku=489075
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Fama
You're the moron here, no offense. He said "solid solid amp". He said it's a solid amp, good and reliable and what not, you know? He did not say anything about solid state.

thank you, at least someone has my back...
of course its not a solid state, I would know, i own 2 mesas...jeezeee
Last edited by \m/metallica\m/ at Jun 30, 2008,
Quote by \m/metallica\m/
thank you, at least someone has my back...
of course its not a solid state, I would know, i own 2 mesas...jeezeee

That's weird, I totally read that wrong too
Quote by steven seagull
The Traynor YCV50 is $750 if you want to spend a bit less - it's no Mesa, but it should handle the stuff you play no problem.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Traynor-Custom-Valve-50BLUE-YCV50BLUE-50W-All-Tube-1x12-Combo-Amp-with-Celestion-Speaker?sku=489075

Great amp, but I'd probably suggest the YCV 40 which has a bit more of a modern Mesa-like voice to it, while the 50 has more of a Marshall sound.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.