What are THE WORST stock pickups you've ever heard in an otherwise solid(except maybe other electronics) guitar?

I'd have to say dean, epiphone, and squier are the worst offenders.
Please do not insinuate anything sexual from that.

Quote by cobain_is_king
If your friends don't like your guitar, cover it in stickers and it'll be teh rawks!
i guess the theory here is the more you pay for your guitar the better pups you get.... however for the price the pups on my epiphone les paul special II aren't all that bad....
My Gear

Epiphone Les Paul Special II
ESP KH-202 with OFR
Hobner Acoustic
BOSS OS-2 Overdrive/Distortion pedal
Dunlop GCB95 Crybaby Wah Pedal
Laney P20 20-Watt 1x8 Amplifier
epiphone pickups aren't bad at all, what are you smoking?

it's just that the gibsons are so much better (sometimes).

but yeah, i'd have to say any guitar under 100usd will not be pleasant
Epiphone G-400!!!!!!!!

Washburn Bass!!!

Cordovox tube amp

Crate bass amp!!!

Kustom PA
Budget department store guitars are the absolute worst. I had one that had, according to the box, "humbuckering pickups" and I later found out that they were just cheap single coils in humbucker covers. And by that I mean one in each of the two covers.
Gear:
Schecter 006 Elite
Dean VX
Some Memphis 3/4th Strat copy
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60w
Last edited by redwolf206 at Jun 29, 2008,
Quote by pcell619
epiphone pickups aren't bad at all, what are you smoking?

it's just that the gibsons are so much better (sometimes).

but yeah, i'd have to say any guitar under 100usd will not be pleasant

+1, my epi les paul has a great neck pickup, i changed the bridge to a gibson 500t.

ibanez gio. ****ing miserable. actually, any ibanez under $750
dont take any guff from these bastards man

Quote by Fenderhippie69
I only smoke when I've been drinking and I only drink when I've been smoking.
I actually have a squier from a while back that has a very nice sounding neck pickup
Quote by Jaymz_515
One of my friends was thrown into the sun by a teacher for speaking in the library.
i have some duncrap designed pups on my SZ that are decent but not the best... I have an LP rip off with some s**ty pups in it...
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
Sorry guys, but since when was this the pit??

What has this got to do with building and customizing?
Quote by mark_wuk
Sorry guys, but since when was this the pit??

What has this got to do with building and customizing?

****ty stock pickups are GREAT motivation to customize your gear.

Quote by cobain_is_king
If your friends don't like your guitar, cover it in stickers and it'll be teh rawks!
^ you could always rewind and replace magnets in crappy pickups... that's customizing
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
Quote by nuthinbuttrubl8
^ you could always rewind and replace magnets in crappy pickups... that's customizing

Pretty sure that's how rockfield got it's start, lol.

Quote by cobain_is_king
Quote by Iansmitchell
****ty stock pickups are GREAT motivation to customize your gear.

Hence the number of threads asking what to replace stock pickups with - listing the worlds worst pickups isn't the same thing really is it?
Quote by redwolf206
Budget department store guitars are the absolute worst. I had one that had, according to the box, "humbuckering pickups" and I later found out that they were just cheap single coils in humbucker covers. And by that I mean one in each of the two covers.

I've pulled one of those out of an old SG copy made by Kent. Might be interesting for some trashy, garage-band style stuff, I dunno. Haven't tried putting it in a guitar yet.
Do YOU know who Les Paul is?

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
Quote by mark_wuk
Hence the number of threads asking what to replace stock pickups with - listing the worlds worst pickups isn't the same thing really is it?
agreed.

but let it go, man. if he has his own thread to rant about pickups, maybe he'll have less time to follow azrael around to every damned thread in GB&C and start a pissin' contest on a tangent from the OP. this could be a blessing.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
My Vintage (Wilkinson) guitar has terrible pickups. But I suppose that's what you get from pickups worth £14...
Jackson Kelly KE3 w/P-Rails; Aria Pro II TSB-350
• ZVex Fuzz Factory; DigiTech Whammy; Danelectro Fish & Chips; Marshall ED1; Fulltone OCD; DigiTech Whammy; Marshall JMP1; Boss CE3; Vox AC4TV

EMU 0404; Reason/Record; M-Audio AV40
the Les paul special II I've got before i had my hands on it. When my mate had it. it was bad!
GEAR:
Epiphone LP special model 2 (Heavily modded - killswitch and custom midi X-Y touch pad).
Digitech Whammy, Zvex Fuzz Factory, Boss Dynamic Wah, Electro harmonix Little Big Muff, Zoom G7.1ut, Digitech Grunge, Korg KP2.
Marshall AVT 50x
Quote by funguy
the Les paul special II I've got before i had my hands on it. When my mate had it. it was bad!

oh yes.

LP special II pups=ewwws.
New pots definitely help, as do individual volume controls, but man after all that you'll still want different pickups...

Quote by cobain_is_king
Epiphone pickups aren't the worst pickups ever. in fact, they're really not too bad. they're dark -toned, so when they get put in a mahogany guitar, they turn to mud. At least they're wax potted. I say that's quite a good thing.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Last edited by oneblackened at Jun 29, 2008,
^+1 They aren't that great obviously but they are far from the worst. That and people do like different tones from their pickups so the label "worst pickups" is very subjective.
Quote by Peradactyl
alright, off topic but how do i make forum posts

Quote by The_Paranoia
a4lrocker is an offical thread legend.
Quote by FourFortyFour
Squier has to definitely be the worst. I am speaking from personal experience here

My squier pickups were awesome had a real vintage twang to them, but 60 cycle hum was super prevalent!

After a brief encounter with a Guitar tech he slapped me in some custom ones and off we go!

Lace Sensor Hot Gold set next though!
'05 Fender Speed Shop So-Cal Stratocaster
'95 Squier Standard Strat

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Orange Dark Terror + PPC212
Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
Quote by oneblackened
Epiphone pickups aren't the worst pickups ever. in fact, they're really not too bad. they're dark -toned, so when they get put in a mahogany guitar, they turn to mud.

They don't have a very tight or responsive bass either, just mud.

Quote by cobain_is_king
Quote by lumberjack
Cort pickups, also Kay guitars...whew...that's bad!

BAD HOW?

Quote by cobain_is_king
they're not great pickups.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
epi pups arent that bad at all- i actually liked the ones on my old epi sg...but hated the guitar itself.....

the $50 target guitars have the worst pups ever concieved by man. the gibson-baldwin music education comes in second.

Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
agreed.

but let it go, man. if he has his own thread to rant about pickups, maybe he'll have less time to follow azrael around to every damned thread in GB&C and start a pissin' contest on a tangent from the OP. this could be a blessing.

hey, someone else who finds this annoying as s***!
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
Last edited by AngusJimiKeith at Jun 29, 2008,
Quote by Iansmitchell
oh yes.

LP special II pups=ewwws.
New pots definitely help, as do individual volume controls, but man after all that you'll still want different pickups...

everything apart from the pots were changed. i did plan to change the pots but where i was gonig to get them from ended up selling me bad ones so i just left it. there pretty much alright the stock pots it's the pickups and rewiring that needs to be done.
GEAR:
Epiphone LP special model 2 (Heavily modded - killswitch and custom midi X-Y touch pad).
Digitech Whammy, Zvex Fuzz Factory, Boss Dynamic Wah, Electro harmonix Little Big Muff, Zoom G7.1ut, Digitech Grunge, Korg KP2.
Marshall AVT 50x