So I'm always changing the EQ on my bass amp. I have a new setting like...every 3 days, because I can never find one I want.

Well, I decided that I didn't want to go and grab my cable, so instead I used Red and White Audio input jacks and plugged my bass in through that (the other end is a 1/8" jack with a 1/4" converter on it)
This way all the volume and tone controls are bypassed, so no matter what I do with them the sound stays the same.

By god, the tone was just perfect.
It was really just that perfect bass growl I've always wanted. Not too much high end, but not too much low end. But I can't figure out how to get that tone with the EQ knobs, and I DON'T believe that using that sort of cable as my standard cable is really the best idea.
ALthough if it worked, I wouldn't mind, but then I get no volume control.
Anyway, I was wondering if anyone really knew how I could continue to get this tone?
Chances are this was as waste of a thread that no one is going to know, but I guess it's worth a shot

/rant
How did you even hook that up? I don't understand where the red and white audio jacks went. I wouldn't mind trying this for ****s and giggles.
Gear:
EBMM Bongo HS 4
EBMM Sting Ray 5
Eden D410T
Tech 21 Sansamp RBI
Tech 21 Sansamp RPM
Art 341 Dual Channel EQ
QSC GX5 Power Amp
To tell the person above here you get a cord that has a 1/8th and rca. you plug the rca into the bass amp and the 1/8th into a converter that makes it 1/4. not to hard
Epiphone G-400!!!!!!!!

Washburn Bass!!!

Cordovox tube amp

Crate bass amp!!!

Kustom PA
Quote by CNC-Digity
How did you even hook that up? I don't understand where the red and white audio jacks went. I wouldn't mind trying this for ****s and giggles.

My amp has an input for a red and white audio inputs.
It's in case you wanna play along with a CD or something *shrug*
I usually just play the CD through real speakers
But it did come in handy once when we needed a speaker for the the 4th of July

Playstation 2 + bass amp = bitchin sound system

ANYWAY
Maybe open up your bass and bypass the volume and tone?

Or open up your amp and look at the signal path from the RCA input.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Quote by jthm_guitarist
Maybe open up your bass and bypass the volume and tone?

Or open up your amp and look at the signal path from the RCA input.

None of that would make any sense to me =\
If it bypassed the EQ then when don't you just plug it in normally and just leave the EQ flat?
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Well. If it works. then use it.

What bass amp is it, and do you gig with it?

If not and you just want to be able to change the volume, then I suggest to buy a pre-amp pedal and run into that normally and out into the RCA input how you do.
Quote by fleaflicker182
Well. If it works. then use it.

What bass amp is it, and do you gig with it?

If not and you just want to be able to change the volume, then I suggest to buy a pre-amp pedal and run into that normally and out into the RCA input how you do.

Worth a shot, thanks!

It's a tiny little Crate bt15
I used to gig with it, but I haven't in a while
*sad*
if i get it right you are using the CD input so you are bypassing the EQ and the volume control
try with a flat EQ
dont boost or cut anything
or buy a preamp and use it trough the CD input
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
Get an amp with a bypassable tone section. There are times when you want to tweak and times when you just want to plug and play.
Since its going through an input meant for line level sources it wouldnt have a preamp, which is why it is quieter when using your bass. So if you played through a preamp or used an active bass or something it would be louder.
I can't really see how an aux input has any difference to the patch input with the EQ set flat. The only differences would be impedence on the jacks, and potentially different amounts of gain. However, if you have a proper amp with a pre-gain control (pre/post or volume/master), you should be able to get that tone you like with a flat EQ. There's no reason why you shouldn't.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
I can't really see how an aux input has any difference to the patch input with the EQ set flat. The only differences would be impedence on the jacks, and potentially different amounts of gain. However, if you have a proper amp with a pre-gain control (pre/post or volume/master), you should be able to get that tone you like with a flat EQ. There's no reason why you shouldn't.

It may be that the aux inputs bypass the pre-amp entirely. The amp just amplifies the signal then spits it out. If this guy has a bad amp, chances are the preamp will color the sound (like an Ampeg or something, but not in a good way) and so in bypassing the preamp he can get a better tone.
Solid State electronics tend not to colour tone unless they are adding gain. A flat EQ is not adding gain. What signal comes in comes out. Yeah, bypassing it entirely may sound difference, but I relate that to input impedence volume, not the lack of preamp. Solid State electronics don't really add colour when you're not boosting.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..