I have $600 to spend, but the cheaper the better. I play mostly alternative... cleans like Radiohead and the gainy stuff sounds like Muse or the Smashing Pumpkins fuzz tone. A good Red Hot Chili-ish Pepper overdrive would be nice too since I do play a fair amount of blues and classic rock. I don't gig often (yet), but when I do I'll be able to mic it probably.
Look for a used Peavey Classic 30. Great amp and assuming you're in the US, you should be able to find a used one for about 300. Its loud too because its tube, so you wouldnt need to mic it if you gigged

EDIT
And if you want a Muse type fuzz, check out a Zvex fuzz factory
The Palominos aren't bad, I'd say go try it and see how it works out for you, but if you can, try a Classic 30 before hand, then decide which suits you better. But don't stop there, try everything you can, no one can tell you what's perfect for you, you have to decide yourself!
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
That's an okay deal. The Palominos are inferior to the Classic line, if you ask me.
Talk to this guy:
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/msg/735340197.html
Ask him when the tubes were last changed. Ask him to knock the price down to 300 if they're still stock tubes, citing that they'll likely need to be replaced, since the stock Sovteks are awful. Furthermore, Classic 30's don't go for 550 on eBay (average price is 250-350). When he remarks that you should buy one off there, tell him you'd trust an amp you can try out first more.
Yeah, I saw that listing too gregs. They both sound like what I'm looking for. But I went to GC to try out a Classic 30 which they apparently don't carry anymore. They don't carry Palominos, V-Series, or Traynors either... so it's hard to try this stuff out.
Quote by forsaknazrael
That's an okay deal. The Palominos are inferior to the Classic line, if you ask me.
Talk to this guy:
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/msg/735340197.html
Ask him when the tubes were last changed. Ask him to knock the price down to 300 if they're still stock tubes, citing that they'll likely need to be replaced, since the stock Sovteks are awful. Furthermore, Classic 30's don't go for 550 on eBay (average price is 250-350). When he remarks that you should buy one off there, tell him you'd trust an amp you can try out first more.

Thanks, should I just e-mail him by clicking the "reply to" button or whatever?
If he refuse to knock down the price, is the Classic 30 that much better than v32? If I retubed the v32 or got a speaker change, could it match up with the 30?
Quote by CuatroSD
If he refuse to knock down the price, is the Classic 30 that much better than v32? If I retubed the v32 or got a speaker change, could it match up with the 30?

That much better is a matter of opinion. The V32 is a good amp for the price. ($250 used). But I think the made in USA peavey > Asian made V32.
Again both good amps but I think the Peavey is superior to the V32.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020
But I think the made in USA peavey > Asian made V32.

The Palomino he linked is an older Made in USA model.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
The Palomino he linked is an older Made in USA model.

Edit: Ah, an early Pal V32. Yes that voids some of my point. Thanks!
Hell yea, great amp. At $350 it's a great value. Tweed as well, go try them now.
But will they stand up to higher gain stuff? I'm not talking death metal, but Muse and Smashing Pumpkins? I have a EHX Graphic Fuzz right now.
^Dude, I would snag that Delta Blues. 350 is a great deal and you could probably knock the price down another 30-50 bucks.

The V series crate would do you good, to.

More speakers give a fuller sound, but a 1x12 would work fine.
$350 is a great deal, I'm just afraid it won't be able to put out anything heavier than AC/DC, ZZ Top, etc. Is that 18 watt Crate V loud enough for a band situation? And thanks a lot everyone btw.

Edit: Looks like a music go round by me has two brand new Crates. A v50 for $300 or the v18 $280. Good deals?