Page 1 of 4
Just got my brand new EVH 5150 III today off ebay from some music store in Kansas. Sounds even better than I remembered when I tested one a couple weeks ago. It's definitely the best all-around amp I've ever heard by far, & I'm seriously considering selling my Soldano SLO, because it won't get much action now. I'm not big into cleans, but this thing's channel 1 is basically a Fender Twin. Nice to have, but I'll rarely use it. The crunch channel 2 is pretty amazing, getting tones like Led Zep & AC/DC that are stunningly accurate, with incredible dynamics & touch response, very much like a cranked old plexi. I disagree with numerous reviews that say the crunch channel is the exact old brown sound. My Mojave Scorpion gets the REAL brown sound, but I've only played around w/ the 5150 III for an hour or so with no effects, so I'll delve deeper into that.
The lead channel 3 is simply insanely good. Beautiful smooth voicing, singing highs, fairly tight low end (but likely not quite tight enough for full br00talz death metal, but again, I've only messed with it for a short time). I can dial in Megadeth & Metallica tones easily. (The amp looks complicated w/ the million knobs, but it's VERY easy to use). This channel sounds like the sustain EVH gets on the old records. I'm in love with the tone of this amp.
I'll be leaving on vacation early tomorrow morning (without my amp ), returning in about 10 days with hopefully more info as to what this thing can do).
BTW-I got it for $1499 US on ebay +$40 shipping, but I was ready to pay the full pop $2000 price without even thinking about it. It's that good.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Last edited by riffhog at Jun 29, 2008,
Quote by babyboo666
Wow congrats, but

Dude, I'm way too slow w/ pics to do it tonight, but I will get them up when I get back!
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

this is my dream amp. lucky bastard.
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
Quote by babyboo666
And riffhog, did you get one with Sovtek or JJ tubes?

It's ivory w/ JJ tubes. I've had good tone & luck w/ the JJs in my Mojave, so it'll definitely sound warmer than Sovteks!
Back in 10 days. Gotta go. See ya'll in a while.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard

Congrats.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Quote by kckyle
hmmm i'm thinking about getting a evh head, are they really that great as people here say?

Riffhog knows his stuff and LOVES his SLO, so for him to say it outperforms his SLO it must be pretty good.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
sweet. ive only heard clips of it, sounded pretty sweet.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Awesome, just don't get too enamoured with it while you're away and get back disappointed

Quote by Horlicks
People on the Jackson forum talk about reliability problems though

Proof that doesn't involve CJRocker's post in the who to listen to list pl0x. Parrot parrot parrot pretty polly.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Congrats! I'm sure its an awesome head, but I wouldn't be too keen about having someone else initials on my amp.
Quote by timi_hendrix
Proof that doesn't involve CJRocker's post in the who to listen to list pl0x. Parrot parrot parrot pretty polly.

Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
i'm borrowing it while you're away... just so you know
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by riffhog
It's ivory w/ JJ tubes. I've had good tone & luck w/ the JJs in my Mojave, so it'll definitely sound warmer than Sovteks!
Back in 10 days. Gotta go. See ya'll in a while.

Wow sweet, yea the JJ's are awesome.

Enjoy the amp when you're back!
sweet, congrats man, couldn't happen to a cooler guy.

sounds like a really cool amp, btw, what cab are you pairing it with?
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
This is why I want to get rid of my Mark IV for one
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Just got my brand new EVH 5150 III today off ebay from some music store in Kansas. Sounds even better than I remembered when I tested one a couple weeks ago. It's definitely the best all-around amp I've ever heard by far, & I'm seriously considering selling my Soldano SLO, because it won't get much action now. I'm not big into cleans, but this thing's channel 1 is basically a Fender Twin. Nice to have, but I'll rarely use it. The crunch channel 2 is pretty amazing, getting tones like Led Zep & AC/DC that are stunningly accurate, with incredible dynamics & touch response, very much like a cranked old plexi. I disagree with numerous reviews that say the crunch channel is the exact old brown sound. My Mojave Scorpion gets the REAL brown sound, but I've only played around w/ the 5150 III for an hour or so with no effects, so I'll delve deeper into that.
The lead channel 3 is simply insanely good. Beautiful smooth voicing, singing highs, fairly tight low end (but likely not quite tight enough for full br00talz death metal, but again, I've only messed with it for a short time). I can dial in Megadeth & Metallica tones easily. (The amp looks complicated w/ the million knobs, but it's VERY easy to use). This channel sounds like the sustain EVH gets on the old records. I'm in love with the tone of this amp.
I'll be leaving on vacation early tomorrow morning (without my amp ), returning in about 10 days with hopefully more info as to what this thing can do).
BTW-I got it for $1499 US on ebay +$40 shipping, but I was ready to pay the full pop $2000 price without even thinking about it. It's that good.

uh
maybe a 6505 could of saved you money?
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Quote by acdclandon
uh

EVH 5150 III> Peavey 6505.

I heard a dude playing one at GC, and it was sooooo nice.
Quote by imgooley
EVH 5150 III> Peavey 6505.

I heard a dude playing one at GC, and it was sooooo nice.

well i know that
but if i were him i would probably consider the 6505, especially because of price?
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Quote by acdclandon
well i know that
but if i were him i would probably consider the 6505, especially because of price?

Well, he has a SLO100, so I don't think price is really a huge factor in his purchase (which he already made).

Dunno, though. I'm not a high gain guy (though the SLO100 is the most epic amp I've ever heard, and the 5150 III was pretty close behind it).
Quote by imgooley
Well, he has a SLO100, so I don't think price is really a huge factor in his purchase (which he already made).

Dunno, though. I'm not a high gain guy (though the SLO100 is the most epic amp I've ever heard, and the 5150 III was pretty close behind it).

ah yeah well i guess if you have the money i've heard the 5150 III being named the best amp, its hard to disagree with fender cleans and apparently great high gain, the only thing i would ever question would be in between that, but apparently the ts is high on that too
great purchase
Quote by progbass

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Quote by acdclandon
uh

Sorry, but the 5150 III completely ****s all over the original imo.

Quote by UnsignedRecords

OMG! Must... sell... Mark IV... Now... !
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Jun 30, 2008,
Quote by MatrixClaw
Sorry, but the 5150 III completely ****s all over the original imo.

OMG! Must... sell... Mark IV... Now... !

ah i see
well i guess the price difference must matter too bad lol
wait you want to get rid of your mark IV, isn't that amp supposed to be kick ass?
Quote by progbass

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Quote by acdclandon
ah i see
well i guess the price difference must matter too bad lol
wait you want to get rid of your mark IV, isn't that amp supposed to be kick ass?

It's a good amp, but everytime I go to the music shops around here they always have something new and my tastes in tone have changed to something I don't think I'll be able to achieve with the Mark IV.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
It's a good amp, but everytime I go to the music shops around here they always have something new and my tastes in tone have changed to something I don't think I'll be able to achieve with the Mark IV.

Just craigslist it and get a used 5150 III

It's a great amp, should sell for a decent amount
Quote by babyboo666
Just craigslist it and get a used 5150 III

It's a great amp, should sell for a decent amount

I've tried, everyone here either wants a Marshall or they don't have enough cash, or they want to trade me their Marshall

Have it up on HC right now too, but so far no good trade offers or cash offers
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Nice to see you have it! The 5150 III is as said amazing. Oh and you did try the crunch channel, which I said you would, because that channel is really amazing. I could seriously own a 5150 III and use it as my only amp!
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by MatrixClaw

don't say that!

i dunno, i'm not usually satisfied playing the mark IV by myself, but everytime i'm in a jam situation, i'm super happy i have it.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Quote by UnsignedRecords
don't say that!

i dunno, i'm not usually satisfied playing the mark IV by myself, but everytime i'm in a jam situation, i'm super happy i have it.

Yeah, that's true. I really like it when I'm jamming with people, but that's not very often any more, mostly because of the fact that I can't move my 4x12 cause it doesn't fit in my car But I'll probably be buying a 2x12 later this week so I can finally take my amp other places and not have to use my friend's horrible Crate amp
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by Tom_hatton
Congrats! I'm sure its an awesome head, but I wouldn't be too keen about having someone else initials on my amp.

Well unlike a lot of the world of signature gear, this is not something that's JUST a marketing ploy. Eddie Van Halen HIMSELF was part in creating it, to HIS specs, meaning it's an all new amp from scratch. Oh and did you know that he has had TWO earlier sigs:
Peavey 5150 (now 6505) and 5150 II (now 6505+)
These amps are actually very popular among many other bands and a very common metal in general. So it's not "just a piece of signature gear".
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by MatrixClaw
I've tried, everyone here either wants a Marshall or they don't have enough cash, or they want to trade me their Marshall

Have it up on HC right now too, but so far no good trade offers or cash offers

How much for it?
Member of UG Gain whores.
PM Gpderek09 to join!
Page 1 of 4