Hey guys, I've had an idea that's been floating about for a while. Basically, it is nearly the summer holidays, and well, a lot of of the wiring on my Strat copy seems loose, but also little things such as the pickup selector are cracked, and some knobs. So I idea of taking it apart, and re-soldering anything which is loose. However, I was also thinking of replacing the knobs and pickup selector switch (the white bit that you toggle with, the actual electronics of the switch are fine).

However, one thing that I am considering doing is sanding the black finish down to the natural grain, like this:

However, the problem is that my guitar is a cheap Strat copy by a company called Blaze. And a cheap guitar = cheap wood, so I was wandering, what do you guys think the grain will be like? Would it be worth sanding it down or not?

Also, would I need a sander (like the machine) to sand down to the grain, or I would it be better off for me to use different grits of sand paper?

Cheers
Machine first, then different grits of paper. The machine might leave little dints and things, which then need sanding down.

What type of wood is your copy? If its not maple, it wont look like that!
Mahogany is a different colour. Purple or brown if i remember correctly.
Quote by Edgey_15
Machine first, then different grits of paper. The machine might leave little dints and things, which then need sanding down.

What type of wood is your copy? If its not maple, it wont look like that!
Mahogany is a different colour. Purple or brown if i remember correctly.

I have no idea. It is a cheap Strat though. It is a beginner guitar by some company called Blaze. I have only ever saw a picture on the net of the guitar once or twice, no details about it are found. That's why it is a risk whether or not to sand to the grain.
could be plywood check in the control cavity mighty be able to see bare wood there or if its plywood maybe layers of it
Quote by rancidryan
could be plywood check in the control cavity mighty be able to see bare wood there or if its plywood maybe layers of it

Yeah, I guess since it is a cheap guitar it would be plywood. Does plywood have much of a grain?
I think it's either plywood or agathis. or, if you're really unlucky, it could be MDF.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I guess when the time comes I might as well sand it anyway, because if it doesn't have a good grain or anything, I can always get some spray paint and lacquer and re-finish it.
yeah, as it turns out I'm basically rebuilding my strat too. it's agathis. so, I'm gonna finish it with some kind of spray paint and lacquer.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I have a piece of plywood in my garage that has really nice grain... so you never know.
Quote by alkalineweeman
If by "clean" you mean "get a finger right up in there and do a good bit of spelunking" then i guess "at any given opportunity" is my answer.

mah hardcore band
http://monstersvsaliens.bandcamp.com/
Quote by Vandals572
I have a piece of plywood in my garage that has really nice grain... so you never know.

Fingers crossed then.

Anyway, since I won't be performing these mods for at least 4 - 5 weeks from now, this thread my R.I.P and get locked :

Thanks for the help people
Quote by rancidryan

Definitely check the cavity. If it's plywood, natural finish will look awful. Even if the top layer has good grain, it'll only be a millimeter or two thick and on the sides of the guitar you'll see all the nasty little layers. If you do decide to go natural, machine first, sand with coarse paper (~50 grit) then finer (150) then maybe 200.
Well, I just took some sand paper, and sanded a little bit off the guitar. There seemed to be a decent grain on it, but I have decided now that if the grain sucks balls, and I will just re-paint the guitar.

That brings me onto another few questions. If I decide to paint it, what sort of paint should I use? And is lacquer the best thing to use to paint on top of the finish. Also, my friend has a belt-sander, and said that I could use it to sand the guitar. Would my best option be to use a belt-sander to take off the current finish, and then use sand paper to smooth it out? And finally, what grits of sand paper are best to use.
pics?
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Quote by oneblackened
pics?

Camera doesn't work, so no pics. However, I found this image.

The wood on my Strat is roughly the same colour (maybe a tad bit darker). You think my best bet would be to sand it down, and just re-finish it? Or is there anything I can add to the natural finish to darken the grain (e.g. multiple coats of lacquer?)
that almost looks like swamp ash, I kind of doubt it is though. I think it may be agathis.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Quote by oneblackened
that almost looks like swamp ash, I kind of doubt it is though. I think it may be agathis.

Well, we'll find out when it is stripped. I'll also update the thread with pics when I do it, if I can get a camera. Anyway got any answers to my questions a few posts up?
Quote by AdamDK
Well, I just took some sand paper, and sanded a little bit off the guitar. There seemed to be a decent grain on it, but I have decided now that if the grain sucks balls, and I will just re-paint the guitar.

That brings me onto another few questions. If I decide to paint it, what sort of paint should I use? And is lacquer the best thing to use to paint on top of the finish. Also, my friend has a belt-sander, and said that I could use it to sand the guitar. Would my best option be to use a belt-sander to take off the current finish, and then use sand paper to smooth it out? And finally, what grits of sand paper are best to use.

For the sides of the body (top and bottom in playing position) use the belt sander. For the front/back use a palm sander.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Thanks. More, questions, sorry. This is about installing a killswitch.

Is this the switch I need? And then I just get some wire, wire it as the schematics say (which was like one part is grounded I think, one to the volume bit), and drill holes for it on the body and through the pickguard?
Is you plan to wire the killswitch so that it diverts the hot to ground (prior to the output)? If so, then it looks like you've got the right one.
Yeah, from the diagram I found, one of the things on the switch is wired to the volume pot bit, whilst the other is grounded. Does anybody else have any wiring diagrams for a Strat? The one I have found is a picture guide, but no schematics.
Ah it's Ok, I read the stickied thread with tutorials. I understand now, Cheers.