Page 1 of 2
i have been using lemon oil on my LP (rosewood fretboard i think) and it works fine for cleaning stuff off, although it hardly gets stuff on it because i wipe it after every time i play it and i change strings regularly.

i have noticed that my fretboard gets dry looking a while after i have applied lemon oil; is this due to the oil or something else? is there some sort of fretboard polish which reduces the dryness? i thought lemon oil reduced the dryness.

any help would be appreciated
Quote by mh.666
This man is right.

My life in all aspects is going fucking brilliantly, so I just thought I'd offer a cyncial scrap of wisdom, gloat a little, and then leave.
I thought you're only supposed to use lemon oil every once and awhile?
Gear:
Schecter 006 Elite
Dean VX
Some Memphis 3/4th Strat copy
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60w
i use oil every time i change strings, which is about once a month. i thought you were supposed to use it like that.
Quote by mh.666
This man is right.

My life in all aspects is going fucking brilliantly, so I just thought I'd offer a cyncial scrap of wisdom, gloat a little, and then leave.
Lemon Oil (pure) is very good for the Ebony and Rosewood Fretboards. Try making a concoction. I used to use 100% pure Lemon Oil mixed with Pure Linseed Oil mixed 50/50 in a baby food jar only fill it about 3/4 of the way. Then add turpentine (just a little bit - you have to be able to shake it up). Lemon Oil is a good cleaner, Linseed oil is a good polisher, and turpentine is the best wood preservative there is. It also enables the 2 oils to get deep into the wood. Remember, this is for the fretboard only. Use car wax on the painted parts.
The white stuff is most likely dried lemon oil residue that you've not wiped off properley after you've let it soak in for a bit
Quote by philipisabeast
The white stuff is most likely dried lemon oil residue that you've not wiped off properley after you've let it soak in for a bit

that sounds like what could have happened. the last time i sprayed it directly onto the fretboard and let it dry for 5 to to 10 minutes, then i wiped it off, but not as thoroughly as i could have. is there a way i can get the dried lemon oil off?

and that "concoction" idea sounds good; can it have any bad effects?
Quote by mh.666
This man is right.

Lemon oil is a VERY bad thing for guitars. Don't use it!

I say that a lot but nobody listens.

Here is how it works. Lemon oil on a fretboard is kind of like licking your lips when they get dry. If you lick chapped lips it makes them feel better just like lemon oil makes a dry fretboard feel better. The problem is, that after you lick dry lips, when they dry out a few seconds later they are dryer than they were before you licked them and you find yourself licking them again, and again, and again. Each time you do this it makes the problem worse until you’re lips get really chapped and start to crack and bleed. It's the same thing with lemon oil. You have to keep using it more and more often and then you find that you have all sorts of nasty buildup on your neck but if you don't use it then it get dry and can even crack.

Using the analogy of lips still, if you use a good lip balm 1 or 2 times a day then you will find that your lips never feel dry. If you use a good fretboard cleaner with synthetic oils like GHS fastfret every time you play your guitar then you will find that you don't need to oil your fretboard.

When your lips get to a point where they are badly cracked and peeling you might find that you have to get special medicated lip balm to fix the problem. When your fretboard has became impregnated with oil you have to take special steps to fix that problem too. You need to scrub your fretboard down with some soapy water and then wipe it as dry as you can. Don't let the water soak into the fretboard. After you have scrubbed the fretboard you run into a problem. You need to let it dry before reconditioning it but you don't want it to crack. You might think I'm joking about what to do next but let me assure you that I'm not. You need to rub spit into your guitar neck. Yes, that’s right. Spit on your guitar and rub it in! The enzymes in your spit and slow speed in which it dries will protect your fretboard from cracking.

Now that you have spit on your neck, rubbed it in, and let it dry you need to re-oil the thing. Don't use lemon oil! The best thing to use is the synthetic oil that can be purchased at www.lmii.com I like to put 1 drop between each of the frets. Then rib it in with a rag, let it sit for a minute and get a clean rag and then wipe it as dry as possible.

If the synthetic stuff from lmi isn't an option for you then use linseed oil. 1 or 2 drops of linseed oil on a q-tip can do several frets. Don't apply linseed oil directly to the fretboard, use a q tip or a cotton swab and then wipe it as dry as you can as soon as you can.

Once you do this you will have saved your fretboard.
Not taking any online orders.
Lemon oil once a month? Well that has to be too much. Take the post above into consideration too!
I've been using Dunlop 65 lemon oil on my guitars maybe every two months. It seems like a great way to clean the fretboard but after reading Cordy's post I feel a little worried.
I'm dancing in the moonlight
It's caught me in its spotlight
Dancing in the moonlight
On this long hot summer night

Martin D-28
Quote by Chips-
I've been using Dunlop 65 lemon oil on my guitars maybe every two months. It seems like a great way to clean the fretboard but after reading Cordy's post I feel a little worried.

If your guitar hasn't gotten an oily buildup yet I suggest you stop using it and change to something like fastfret instead and you should be ok. Getting the oily buildup takes several years when people use the lemon oil sparingly. When people use it liberally it can ruin a guitar neck in a matter of a year or two.
okay, i'll stop using lemon oil altogether and get some other stuff. is there a way to get rid of the dried oil residue on my frets, or can i just use linseed oil or some other GHS thing the next time i change strings?
Quote by mh.666
This man is right.

Very bad, not only does it dry out very quickly, but it's acidic.

There are much better oils for preserving woods, as has been mentioned.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
Lemon oil is more of a conditioner than a cleaner.

Olive oil works better as both, but lighter fluid is usually what the pro use (with consideration) to clean the fingerboard in the first place.

I use first saliva to clean most of the gunk, then I polish it a bit with 0000 steel wool. And finally some lemon oil, just a little. Don't put too much, don't do it too often.
Quote by CorduroyEW
Lemon oil is a VERY bad thing for guitars. Don't use it!

I say that a lot but nobody listens.

Now that you have spit on your neck, rubbed it in, and let it dry you need to re-oil the thing. Don't use lemon oil! The best thing to use is the synthetic oil that can be purchased at www.lmii.com I like to put 1 drop between each of the frets. Then rib it in with a rag, let it sit for a minute and get a clean rag and then wipe it as dry as possible.

If the synthetic stuff from lmi isn't an option for you then use linseed oil. 1 or 2 drops of linseed oil on a q-tip can do several frets. Don't apply linseed oil directly to the fretboard, use a q tip or a cotton swab and then wipe it as dry as you can as soon as you can.

Once you do this you will have saved your fretboard.

is this link what you are talking about?

and for the linseed oil, i just apply with a swab then immediately wipe dry with another swab?
Quote by mh.666
This man is right.

I've put lemon oil my guitars like once in only two years. That should give you an idea of how often to you need to lubricate the board to keep it's shine. If you apply it every month, you run the risk of putting too much into it, which could cause it to rot in the long run.
I just use Ernie Ball Wonder Wipes... No spray, no mess, no problems.
My Goldtop has seen maybe 3 applications of it in six or eight months, and it has developed a smoothness and slickness to it that i absolutely love.
Epiphone Les Paul goldtop (EMG 81/85)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Telecaster MIM
Epiphone SG Special
Jay Turser JT200 Serpent (GFS Crunchy Rails/Crunchy Pat)
Dean V-Coustic
Ovation Celebrity
Bugera 333-212
Crate Blue Voodoo 120H
i have only just started using lemon oil; for the first 3 string changes i had it i sprayed a bit onto a cloth and applied it to the frets, then wiped it dry with a dry cloth. the last time, i did that and then i sprayed it directly onto the board and waited about 5 minutes, then wiped dry. i have not had the stuff for even half a year.

i think i'll switch to those Ernie Ball Wonder Wipes -- they are good for rosewood, right?
Quote by mh.666
This man is right.

Quote by LedZeppelin9345
is this link what you are talking about?

and for the linseed oil, i just apply with a swab then immediately wipe dry with another swab?

That is the stuff. Also keep in mind that they are saying it's enough oil for 30 fretboards but they are selling it to luthiers so those fretboards they are talking about have never had oil on them before and will soak up a lot more oil. A bottle that size could probably oil your fretboard 100 times or more.

With the linseed oil, I wipe it on with a swab and wipe it off with a good cotton rag.

Quote by LedZeppelin9345
i think i'll switch to those Ernie Ball Wonder Wipes -- they are good for rosewood, right?

I've never tried them but heard some other luthiers say very good things about them.
Last edited by CorduroyEW at Jun 29, 2008,
Quote by CorduroyEW
That is the stuff. Also keep in mind that they are saying it's enough oil for 30 fretboards but they are selling it to luthiers so those fretboards they are talking about have never had oil on them before and will soak up a lot more oil. A bottle that size could probably oil your fretboard 100 times or more.

With the linseed oil, I wipe it on with a swab and wipe it off with a good cotton rag.

I've never tried them but heard some other luthiers say very good things about them.

so it will be okay to just start using these?

i think the wonder wipes sound like the best option; they are the easiest to use and you dont have to take the strings off to use them.

thanks guys
Quote by mh.666
This man is right.

so if i use the AiSyn fingerboard oil, i use it like twice a year; how often would you say i use the wonder wipes?
Quote by mh.666
This man is right.

Quote by LedZeppelin9345
so it will be okay to just start using these?

i think the wonder wipes sound like the best option; they are the easiest to use and you dont have to take the strings off to use them.

thanks guys

I take the strings off anyway.
You end up with oil on the strings and thats not comfortable.

I use the wipes every couple of string changes.
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Telecaster MIM
Epiphone SG Special
Dean V-Coustic
Ovation Celebrity
Bugera 333-212
Crate Blue Voodoo 120H
Last edited by truespin at Jun 29, 2008,
Quote by nodnod
Use WD-40

It's the best

i don't think so.... i'm not stupid
Quote by mh.666
This man is right.

Quote by LedZeppelin9345
so if i use the AiSyn fingerboard oil, i use it like twice a year; how often would you say i use the wonder wipes?

If you use the AiSyn fingerboard oil then you only need to use if after you give your fingerboard a real deep clean. I have never used the AiSyn oil more than 1 time on any guitar and I've had some of my guitars for 7 years. I use the fastfret when my strings start to feel dull and when using it on the strings it cleans my fretboard too. My fretboards have never gotten so full of crud that I had to resort to soap and water or the spit clean but if I did have to do it then I'd use the oil again.

So what I'm saying is that the right oil can last years and years and years and if you keep your fretboard clean. Wipe it down with fastfret or the wonder wipes whenever your strings start to feel tight or if they start to look dirty. When you wipe it down it'll clean your fretboard. If you do this you will never need to give your fretboard a deep clean which means you will never need to re-oil.
Someone mentioned the GHS fastfret can even applies on the fretboard?
Wow, I didn't know that. All I ever did was wipe the strings ;D
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

ive heard may bad stories about lemon oil, especially with maple so ive staayed away from it personally

but i think, why would all these guitar companies sell it if it was actually damaging your guitar ??
Quote by hminh87
Someone mentioned the GHS fastfret can even applies on the fretboard?
Wow, I didn't know that. All I ever did was wipe the strings ;D

If you push hard enough you clean your fretboard at the same time as you clean your strings.
Thank heaven I read this, just begun giving my guitar lemon oil this last half year (every month)

What do you think I should use on my fretboard to clean it then? It's not rosewood it's palisander, don't know if that makes a difference...
Okay, what could I user on the guitar body itself, its mahogany, with a rough finish, so it can dry out. What would I use on my guitar body?
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
So like, I've left my bass in my drummers garage where it gets like 120 in there (No joke) and I finally took it home today. I don't know what kind of wood the fretboard is, but it is darker than rosewood, perhaps ebony. I'm worried about the wood messing up from that extreme heat and very little humidity. What should I do to the fretboard?
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
^don't worry about the wood, worry about the glue. Wood doesn't get messed up from heat unless it gets so hot that it catches fire. It's cold that is a problem.
Quote by CorduroyEW

Wipe it down with fastfret or the wonder wipes whenever your strings start to feel tight or if they start to look dirty. When you wipe it down it'll clean your fretboard. If you do this you will never need to give your fretboard a deep clean which means you will never need to re-oil.

so if i use the wonder wipes fretboard conditioner i should use it every string change (about once a month) on the board? i would probably also get the string cleaner and instrument polish as well.

thanks!
Quote by mh.666
This man is right.

Quote by LedZeppelin9345
so if i use the wonder wipes fretboard conditioner i should use it every string change (about once a month) on the board? i would probably also get the string cleaner and instrument polish as well.

thanks!

No more than every other string change, I would suspect.
I don't use them very often.
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Telecaster MIM
Epiphone SG Special
Dean V-Coustic
Ovation Celebrity
Bugera 333-212
Crate Blue Voodoo 120H
personally, i wouldn't use Wonder Wipes on anything but the fretboard. I also personally would not use WD-40. If this is a Rosewood fretboard use Lemon Oil Spray for Fretboards (GHS, Dunlop, Dr. Stringfellow). Do not use 100% lemon oil. For guitar body use Guitar body spray cleaner/polish.

just my 2 cents to a topic that comes up every other day.
I use Lemon oil on my fret board twice a year, sometimes just once. That stickyness you get after cleaning and new strings is just the fact that it needs time to soak in, and become more lubricated by your fingers. Always buff well and don't use too much.
Agreed, I use bees wax polish for the back and sides and sound board, whether it is french polish or a natural finish. Always get a good shine.
I am really happy at the moment because about four month's ago I bought the guitar Iv'e wanted for fifteen years, but getting pnumonia and losing my job, it's taken a while to save for. It is a Takemini, electro/acoustic, P5J, the jumbo version. Reason being is my fave guitarist ever played one, he was of course the amazing Isaac Guillory. He toured with the great John Renbourne and had a hybrid travis picking style, plectrum between thumb and fore finger, and would pick with the other three, I can only play one of his tunes like this, Desert Dance.
I would urge any players who like me, feel most at home with folk/blues to look for Isaac on U Tube, theres a full gig shared on there called Isaac Guillory at the Albert Hole Bristol, Britain. He was about 45 then and at his peak. Kindly shared by Bristol Ron this folk gig truly potrays the great atmosphere of how a folk club should by and by people all come to see Isaac. Keep picking,
The tackiness is only because you have cleaned the natural oils from your own fingers, and skin etc.......Just allow time for the lemon oil to soak in, and your own fingers of course, it will be back to being nice and smooth. Never use too much. I do this no more than twice a year, when I change my strings and I am also going to clean the fretboard, I leave the guitar to stand over night first after using lemon oil, then I put the new strings on next day, but only tune to D. Then going through the strings, up to the fith fret, I place my first finger left hand on fret one and gently pull the string outward, only an inch or so, I do this to everyone. It always puts it out of tune, so I tune up to D again and leave it. Later on the same day, I tune to 'concert' and repeat the stretching of the strings up to 5th fret, then tune up again.
More often than not, my guiar is ready for some juice from the 'cool tube' and the strings are more or less settled. Hope this helps.
Page 1 of 2