I've already posted in the 'Which Amp' thread. But no luck... So I've decided to make this thread anyways.

So guys...
It's my birthday, I've got £200 ($400), and I need a new practice amp!
Suggestions??
I play metal and classic rock... but i'm also looking for something which a sweet clean channel too
Ibanez RG350DX
Randall RH150G3
Harley Benton Cab (Shut up.)
Roland Cube 60
Dunlop Wah Wah Pedal.

mmmmm

Guitar fund - £300/???
Help me out guise!!1!
Happy Birthday

I'd suggest one of the Vox valvetronix amps, good tone and lots of good effects. The Vox AD30VT is always a very good option for practice. That's usually £130
I love my cube. I have a cube 30x but u could get a cube 60
The 30x was £140 when i got it and i think the 60 is about £160-170

EDIT: Happy Birthday
Quote by elliott FTW
I LOVE YOU SLOGANKID
silly racist bitch finally kicked the bucket

Thanks guys
Though i've been looking at a Line 6 Spider III
Are they any good?
Sorry for being such an amp noob
Ibanez RG350DX
Randall RH150G3
Roland Cube 60
Dunlop Wah Wah Pedal.

mmmmm

Guitar fund - £300/???
Help me out guise!!1!
haha stay away from the line 6 spiders! the valvetronix is better for cleans and classic rock tone, not good for metal unless youve for a good metal pedal to bypass it, otherwise i would get the cube.
^The Valvetronix can do metal just fine, imo. They just have a little less gain than something like a Cube, but not so much less that they can't pull it off. Built in noise gate FTW. Also, full mids, regardless of the channel helps get that nice thick tone.

Quote by DimebagJosho
Thanks guys
Are they any good?

They aren't as incredibly terrible (for cleans, and if you EQ them properly) as everyone says, but they definitely aren't the greatest. The Valvetronix is far superior.

I suggest the Valvetronix mainly because they are cheaper in the UK, I think. I think, but am not sure.

Also, if you don't mind a little less versatility, look into a 5 or 15 watt tube/valve combo.
Last edited by imgooley at Jun 29, 2008,
Quote by DimebagJosho
Thanks guys
Are they any good?

NO NO NO

Spider III's are tone dry. They are heavily frowned on. Dont get one lol

The Vox ones I recommended are probably the best sounding and most versatile, the cubes are good as well

The Vox's can do metal just fine! There's plenty of gain I assure you
^ yeah they can pull it off, but it isnt one of its most defining features, i would still recommend a pedal, depending on the type of metal you play. noise gate is a very welcomed feature!
i have a vox valvetronix and it's brilliant, it's incredibly versatile and can do metal just fine in my opinion (and i play a lot of metal)

and happy birthday!
Well... I've now decided to stay away from the Spider
But I've been looking at the Vox AD30VT-XL and the plain AD30VT
Is there much difference between them and is that a good amp in your opinions'?
Ibanez RG350DX
Randall RH150G3
Roland Cube 60
Dunlop Wah Wah Pedal.

mmmmm

Guitar fund - £300/???
Help me out guise!!1!
Well for practising,Fender Super CHamp XD COMBO:small fender full tube amp 15 Watts and stunning sound =>€300 dunno how much it is in pounds
Ibanez RGA 8 (Dimarzio D Activator 8)->Rocktron Hush->Engl E530 preamp->Marshall 9200 poweramp->Marshall 4x12 closed back cab w/ G12t75's
Quote by DimebagJosho
Well... I've now decided to stay away from the Spider
But I've been looking at the Vox AD30VT-XL and the plain AD30VT
Is there much difference between them and is that a good amp in your opinions'?

The XL is a bit more like a Cube (more high gain options/more gain, but not so great cleans). The AD30VT is more versatile.
The XL versions of the Vox ADVT series are really muddy and lack note definition.
I'd recommend the Cube in this situation - it's cleans are still pretty good but it is better than the ADVT series in terms of high gain.
Lack of gain isn't the reason that the ADVTs are often overlooked for high gain stuff - they just don't have the voicing or the low end for metal.

So, in conclusion, it's a vote for the Roland Cube 60 from me
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by Yngwi3
The XL versions of the Vox ADVT series are really muddy and lack note definition.
I'd recommend the Cube in this situation - it's cleans are still pretty good but it is better than the ADVT series in terms of high gain.
Lack of gain isn't the reason that the ADVTs are often overlooked for high gain stuff - they just don't have the voicing or the low end for metal.

So, in conclusion, it's a vote for the Roland Cube 60 from me

VT's not have low end? Ha. That was a good one.

The cleans on the Cube are dull. Really dull.
Quote by imgooley
VT's not have low end? Ha. That was a good one.

The cleans on the Cube are dull. Really dull.

Compared to how much the Cube can have, no they don't.
The cleans are good enough on the Cube.
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Quote by Yngwi3
Compared to how much the Cube can have, no they don't.
The cleans are good enough on the Cube.

And the gain is good enough on the Valvetronix.
Quote by imgooley
And the gain is good enough on the Valvetronix.

The ADVT series do not have the voicing OR the low end for high gain stuff. This is absolute.
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace

A Valvetronix will be great. Good Cleans, Good Crunch, Good high gain (despite what everyone says) and all the effects can be fully changed.
i think a peavey valveking comes in under 200 and IMO would prolly be better than the VOX unless you want lots of nice cleans and light OD and not much distortion
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
i think a peavey valveking comes in under 200 and IMO would prolly be better than the VOX unless you want lots of nice cleans and light OD and not much distortion

It doesn't
i definitely recommend the valveking!!!!!!

seriously, people say it isnt very good and what not, but i highly doubt their ability to use an eq.

the valveking doesnt really need a speaker change, although it does make it sound a lot better.

just let the speakers break in before making any assumptions!

my speakers only just broke in yesterday

and HOLY F U C K I N G S H I T!

this thing has come alive hahaa
Quote by Horlicks
Vc15

He mentions Metal as one of the main Genres he plays so that mightn't be a good choice.
Quote by thellamaking
He mentions Metal as one of the main Genres he plays so that mightn't be a good choice.

+1 unless he could afford an OD and EQ, but the VC15 alone is £18 over budget.
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace

I gotta admit, I'm kinda tied between the Roland Cube 60 and the Vox AD30VT.
Which you do you guys prefer out of them two?
Ibanez RG350DX
Randall RH150G3
Roland Cube 60
Dunlop Wah Wah Pedal.

mmmmm

Guitar fund - £300/???
Help me out guise!!1!
Quote by thellamaking

My VC15 can do a decent metal tone.
Quote by lwayneio
here is an awesome deal on a laney vc30 thats going to end soon http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=120276491327&Category=10171 you could get that and an OD pedal might be a bit over budget and over volume though.

Well If I get that... I couldn't afford the pedal. Even If i BEGGED my mum... I wouldn't anyways cuz i'm not that selfish
Ibanez RG350DX
Randall RH150G3
Roland Cube 60
Dunlop Wah Wah Pedal.

mmmmm

Guitar fund - £300/???
Help me out guise!!1!
Last edited by DimebagJosho at Jun 29, 2008,
i have a line 6 and i love it

honesly i would recommend it
its got amazing gain and crisp cleans
Quote by DimebagJosho
Well If I get that... I couldn't afford the pedal. Even If i BEGGED my mum... I wouldn't anyways cuz i'm not that selfish

savage well if it doesnt go much higher in price you could then try and get this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=200232993762&Category=22669&_trksid=p3907.m29

what about a flextone http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=170232685992&Category=10171&_trksid=p3907.m29
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
Last edited by lwayneio at Jun 29, 2008,
Quote by DimebagJosho
I gotta admit, I'm kinda tied between the Roland Cube 60 and the Vox AD30VT.
Which you do you guys prefer out of them two?

At the end of the day, it's what you play more of. If it's more high gain stuff, (which can include cleans, just not sparkly American Fendery cleans) then go for the Cube. If it's more cleans like jazz/blues and light OD stuff like rock music, then go for the Vox.
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace

I have tried BOTH the cube and and a valvetronix amp.

The Valvetronix sound MUCH warmer and more tube like, it is smoother, has better dynamics, more / better effects with far more ways to tweak them. The cleans are more articulate and sparkly on the valvetronix.

Overall, the valvetronix has the better tone by a far bit, MUCH warmer and more versatile. It has PLENTY of gain for metal and there's deffinetly plenty of low end there. The UK 80's setting is great! Lots of crunch and low end and a good lead tone can be had.

Go for the regular valvetronix, the XL's are a little on the fizzy/muddy side.

I guarantee you will not be disappointed.
Ive tried both and think otherwise
One word against another.
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace

Get the Super or Vibro Champ by Fender, it'd be good for classic rock, and they're $249-$300, but you'll need a pedal for metal.
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
Quote by Horlicks
Vc15

+1. With a pedal should be OK.

Or an Epi Valve Jr., or one of the Blackheart ones.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Quote by DimebagJosho

That isn't an offer to be missed. It is a fantastic price for a great amp. And it handles classic rock easily. You'd be better off in the long run as it is a quality valve amp. And in the future you could get a nice OD pedal. But I can get really nice OD out of my VC30
Practise amp? I'd probably suggest considering the blackheart little giant combo and a decent metal-orientated stomp box.
Let me tell you about heartache and the loss of god
Wandering, wandering in hopeless night
Out here in the perimeter there are no stars

Out here we is stoned
Immaculate.