I've came up with a small chord progression and I was wondering if its in F Lydian

The chords used are Fmaj7, and Dm7.
So the only Notes I use are F,A,C,D,E
You could use F lydian over it, but that progression lends itself more to F major.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
Last edited by duncang at Jun 29, 2008,
you would be correct.
My Gear-
Schecter C7 FR
Schecter Damien 7
Line 6 Spider III 150 2x12
Massive pedal board
Spector Legend Custom 5 string
Ampeg BA-112 50 watt
Yeah, it'd probably just be called F major, as is doesn't have the B note that makes the scale lydian. It doesn't have the A# Ionian note either, so theres no set scale to use, you can use either Ionian OR Lydian, both will sound good If I'm wrong someone please correct me, I'm kinda noob at this...

Ibanez RG1550 with Bareknuckle Nailbombs and Mothers Milk
1976 Gibson SG Standard
Peavey 6505
Framus 2x12 (V30s)

Quote by DarylCooper
It doesn't have the A# Ionian note either
Nor should it.

Please learn standards of nomenclature and naming before attempting to learn modes.

Edit: As far as the chord progression goes, I think it resolves more to Dm than F (and C major more than anything), but if you think that it resolves to F, than F Lydian is a viable option. The progression is "modally neutral," (I made that term up as far as I know), meaning that is does not specifically imply any one mode the way a Dm7 G7 progression definately implies D Dorian. You could use the F Lydian scale over a progression like that.
Last edited by bangoodcharlote at Jun 29, 2008,
And you could also use F mixolydian over that. Probably wouldnt sound nearly as good as lydian or ionian.
I think its leading more into F Major

but yeah F Lydian would work
im glad we have ten different posts saying the same thing, and you are not the first to use the phrase "modally neutral" sorry
Quote by :-D
I go to college with mattrsg1; for what it's worth he is the best guitarist I have heard in person, and in particular stands out from others in my age group. You will not be disappointed, honestly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJpCZpysf94
Quote by mattrsg1
im glad we have ten different posts saying the same thing
Well not quite; we have the original post, my first post, and then a bunch of useless posts with half-true information.

Quote by mattrsg1
and you are not the first to use the phrase "modally neutral" sorry
WHo else uses it?
i attended the national guitar workshop summer program for six years where it was commonplace in modal discussions and with my experience with numerous professors it's usage was colloquial
Quote by :-D
I go to college with mattrsg1; for what it's worth he is the best guitarist I have heard in person, and in particular stands out from others in my age group. You will not be disappointed, honestly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJpCZpysf94
Quote by sue
(and C major more than anything)
How can a chord progression that doesn't include C resolve to C? Do you mean you are playing Dm7 Fmaj7 C?
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
Quote by beadhangingOne
I suggest having a #4 somewhere in the chord progression.

+1 Instead of Fmaj7, barre a normal F chord but play the B and top E string open -

Fmaj7#11, although to qualify as a proper 11 type chord you'd need the G in there as well somewhere.
Quote by mdc
+1 Instead of Fmaj7, barre a normal F chord but play the B and top E string open -

Fmaj7#11, although to qualify as a proper 11 type chord you'd need the G in there as well somewhere.
But that would eliminate ionian as an option. And no, #11 chords on guitar dont need a ninth degree (the G note), although it would be a good idea.
Quote by demonofthenight
But that would eliminate ionian as an option. And no, #11 chords on guitar dont need a ninth degree (the G note), although it would be a good idea.

I thought the TS was just concentrating on a Lydian progression only. Stick with Fmaj7 then.
Quote by Ænimus Prime
How can a chord progression that doesn't include C resolve to C? Do you mean you are playing Dm7 Fmaj7 C?
It sounds resolved only when you finally play a C chord IMMHOHO.
The Fmaj7 isn't completely stable, but with the right voicing(s) it sounds final. Plain old F major definately feels like home. Going to C gives a plagal cadance, but the strongest resolution is going to C then back to F for an authentic cadence. All IMMHOHO of course.
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Quote by Ænimus Prime
How can a chord progression that doesn't include C resolve to C?

G7b9, G7b9, G7b9...? I know you know that, and can probably think of a few yourself.
G7b9, G7b9, G7b9...? I know you know that, and can probably think of a few yourself.
Huh?
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin

So would you call the F maj 7 to D min 7 an unresolved progression?
^these questions cannot be answered without knowing the timing of the chords and song.

you can't look at 4 chords and say where the resolution is without knowing how many beats each chord is played for.... you just can't. (although people here very often try)

F7M                                                                   
      S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S    S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S  
E||---0-0-0-0-0---x-0-0-x-x-0-0-0-0-0-|--0-0-0-0-0---x-0-0-x-x-0-0-0-0-0-|
B||---1-1-1-1-1---x-1-1-x-x-1-1-x-1-1-|--1-1-1-1-1---x-1-1-x-x-1-1-x-1-1-|
G||*--2-2-2-2-2-----2-2-----2-2---2-2-|--2-2-2-2-2-----2-2-----2-2---2-2-|
D||*--3-3-3-3-3-----3-3-----3-3---3-3-|--3-3-3-3-3-----3-3-----3-3---3-3-|
A||-----------------------------------|----------------------------------|
E||-----------------------------------|----------------------------------|

Dm7                                                                     
  S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S    S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S  4x
--1-1-1-1-1---x-1-1-x-x-1-1-1-1-1-|--1-1-1-1-1---x-1-1-x-x-1-1-1-1-1--||
--1-1-1-1-1---x-1-1-x-x-1-1-x-1-1-|--1-1-1-1-1---x-1-1-x-x-1-1-x-1-1--||
--2-2-2-2-2-----2-2-----2-2---2-2-|--2-2-2-2-2-----2-2-----2-2---2-2-*||
--0-0-0-0-0-----0-0-----0-0---0-0-|--0-0-0-0-0-----0-0-----0-0---0-0-*||
----------------------------------|-----------------------------------||
----------------------------------|-----------------------------------||

Does this help?
Quote by branny
that resolves to C whilst a c chord is not used
Sure it sounds resolve if you play a C after G7b9, but G7b9 by itself sounds unresolved.

Quote by Opalyptica
Does this help?
It seems to be at home at Fmaj7 to me. To finish it off you might like to try using a regular F major chord.
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin