What are some scales used for rock? I know of the minor and major pentatonic and the blues scales all ready so some help for these would be nice and can you tell me if I am right when this is how i wrote the pentatonic scales as being these progressions....

Minor Pentatonic I, III, V, VII, X ex. A,C,D,E,G

Major Pentatonic I, II, IV, VII, IX ex. A,B,C#,E,F#

Blues I, III, V, VI, VII, X ex. A,C,D,D#,E,G

Note: The examples are all in the key of A.

I hope you guys understand what I mean. I am trying to learn lead guitar and music theory so thanks to anyone who helps me out.
Quote by Tyler Durden
It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.

Erowid
You've got your numerals a little confused. Your notes are right but the intervals are wrong.

Minor Pentatonic = Root, minor 3rd, perfect 4th, perfect 5th, minor 7th.

Major Pentatonic = Root, major 2nd, major 3rd, perfect 5th, major 6th.

Blues = Root, minor 3rd, perfect 4th, diminished 5th, perfect 5th, minor 7th.

The only thing wrong with your notes is that technically the D# in the blues scale should be an Eb, but they are enharmonically the same so it isn't a big deal.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
Last edited by duncang at Jun 29, 2008,
The Natural Minor Scale is quite commonly used. The formula is:
1 2 b3 4 5 b6 b7 8
Major and Natural Minor Diatonics.
Quote by Shred Head
You have an atrocious sense of humour!

Quote by StrayCatBlues
You win 100 hilarity points.

Spend them wisely.

Quote by GrisKy
you're a funny, funny man, chimp in a tux... funny indeed.
Modes are explored often. Mainly the Dorian and Mixolydian. Modes are just notes from the major scale but they start and end on different ones.

eg. the dorian is the second mode, so a d dorian mode would fit over a c chord.
Quote by ror
Modes are explored often. Mainly the Dorian and Mixolydian. Modes are just notes from the major scale but they start and end on different ones.

eg. the dorian is the second mode, so a d dorian mode would fit over a c chord.
Modes are more complex than that and I dont feel like going into them deeply, as they are barely used for rock (except the odd metal song uses a pseudo phrygian progression). If you play a D dorian shape over a C major chord, your still playing C major. The chords make the modes, not the shape you choose.

To T/S
Rock is derived from the blues. The blues uses pentatonics. It doesnt matter which set of notes you play, it matters how you play it. The phrasing, the rhthym and the note choice is what gives people the sound they want to achieve. Dont go looking for new scales, the pentatonics are fine.
^you best be kidding
Quote by J.A.M
"Obligatory Locrian mode post"
And the same with you too. Locrian is barely used in rock. It's even less used in metal. It is used occasionally in jazz though (I think I might have heard santana use it once?)
Quote by demonofthenight
^you best be kidding
He uses the harmonic minor scale in the SCOM solo over the B7 chord in the key of Em.

It is going to depend very much on the progression and the style of music. There's a big difference between the scales used by Pearl Jam and Aerosmith and those used by Maiden and Metallica. TS, what kind of stuff are you trying to play?
Quote by bangoodcharlote
He uses the harmonic minor scale in the SCOM solo over the B7 chord in the key of Em.
Really? I normally hear pentatonics (but my musical ear sucks). Is that a once of or does he regularily use minor scales?
Quote by demonofthenight
Really? I normally hear pentatonics (but my musical ear sucks). Is that a once of or does he regularily use minor scales?
SCOM is the only solo of his that I've tried to learn, so I don't know where else he uses it. Most of the hard rock stuff is pentatonic/blues based. "November Rain" definately uses some full minor scale licks and maybe even some harmonic minor. "Estranged" or "Don't Cry" use the full minor scale and perhaps some harmonic minor.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
. "November Rain" definately uses some full minor scale licks and maybe even some harmonic minor.

i hope you are refering to the last of the three solos
aside from the pentatonics and all the chromatics out in them, but im not going to delve in those, slash also uses the diminished, much more than the harmonic minor which is nowhere in "dont cry" (mostly in his live performances, just look at the godfather)
Quote by :-D
I go to college with mattrsg1; for what it's worth he is the best guitarist I have heard in person, and in particular stands out from others in my age group. You will not be disappointed, honestly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJpCZpysf94
did you watch the godfather by slash, there are some awesome diminished runs in there and having seen him play three times, he uses it a lot in his live performances when he get his solo sections, which often begins with him playing a blue-esque thing and he incorporates.
i already answered this question too
Quote by :-D
I go to college with mattrsg1; for what it's worth he is the best guitarist I have heard in person, and in particular stands out from others in my age group. You will not be disappointed, honestly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJpCZpysf94
Quote by bangoodcharlote

It is going to depend very much on the progression and the style of music. There's a big difference between the scales used by Pearl Jam and Aerosmith and those used by Maiden and Metallica. TS, what kind of stuff are you trying to play?

I am trying to get my own sense of style but at the same time my influences would be Jimi Hendrix but I know what he used. I like Iron Maiden sounding stuff and a lot of older sounding metallica. Led Zeppelin is starting to influence me a lot. Yet I am trying to break away from the pentatonic scales because they have been used in rock so much. I wanna try something a bit new, you know?
Quote by Tyler Durden
It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.

Erowid
Quote by duncang
You've got your numerals a little confused. Your notes are right but the intervals are wrong.

Minor Pentatonic = Root, minor 3rd, perfect 4th, perfect 5th, minor 7th.

Major Pentatonic = Root, major 2nd, major 3rd, perfect 5th, major 6th.

Blues = Root, minor 3rd, perfect 4th, diminished 5th, perfect 5th, minor 7th.

The only thing wrong with your notes is that technically the D# in the blues scale should be an Eb, but they are enharmonically the same so it isn't a big deal.

I just wanted to point out his numerals we half steps, not scale degrees.

TS, just stick with pentatonics and blues. Almost all rock is based off of them, especially classic rock.
Quote by steven seagull
There are no boring scales, just boring guitarists.

Quote by convictionless
dude calebrocker, that first song on your list almost made me cry
11/10
you win my good sir

^ My For Mom cover

Check out my MP3s!!
Quote by RockGuitar92
I am trying to get my own sense of style but at the same time my influences would be Jimi Hendrix but I know what he used. I like Iron Maiden sounding stuff and a lot of older sounding metallica. Led Zeppelin is starting to influence me a lot. Yet I am trying to break away from the pentatonic scales because they have been used in rock so much. I wanna try something a bit new, you know?
In that case, natural minor with harmonic minor over the major V chord.
And the same with you too. Locrian is barely used in rock. It's even less used in metal.

Lol, yes. There's always somebody who come into the thread and posts a scale/mode such as Locrian, Dim-

Hang on...
Call me Batman.