Poll: Most Overplayed Song?
Poll Options
View poll results: Most Overplayed Song?
Master of Puppets
22 17%
Back in Black
9 7%
Smells Like Teen Spirit
79 61%
Iron Man
19 15%
Voters: 129.
Page 1 of 2
Sweet Chold o Mine, Smoke on the water, random open chords that arnt even in key with eachother (silly noobs) and repetitive powerchords (silly emos and punks)
Quote by Tom_hatton
Sweet Child o' Mine. Shit song, shit band, consantly played.

If its so shit, then why was it so successful?

Think about that one.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
master of puppets is a great song. i didnt think it was overplayed personally. is it? lol
Smoke on the water.

I've never heard anyone play Iron Man, acutally. It's certainly well known, but no-one I've ever met has played it. Same for master of puppets, although that's fast, so it's kinda hard to play, so no-one bothers to learn it when starting and sorta forget about it later on.
Master of Puppets is crap when it's played by a complete noob who can't play in time yet, but I'd say Smells Like Teen Spirit out of that lot. It's usually played by a kid in a black t-shirt and converses who's trying to look like he's part of some genre that's popular. He's not sure what it's called, or what it even means, but it's on MTV a lot, so it must be good.
Quote by Lil Macker

Think about that one.

Hannah Montana and Lil Chris were also successful.

Sucessful song doesn't necessarily mean good music.
Quote by Tom_hatton

Go troll elsewhere..
ᶌῖᶌα ɭα ɌεᶌσɭƲʈιʘϰ
Halo Theme Song.
Guitars:
Schecter C-1+ Black Cherry FMT
2008 American Standard Stratocaster Candy Cola

AMPS:
Fender G-DEC
Fender Dyna-touch III Stage 1000
Vox Valvetronix XL AD30VTXL

Pedals:
DOD Supradistortion FX-55B (w/ Boost)
Quote by Tom_hatton

Music is subjective. Write that down 100 times and then you might grasp the concept.

There's a bunch of overplayed songs... Stairway, Enter Sandman, Smells Like Teen Spirit, Come As You Are, Smoke On The Water... So on.
Quote by primusfan
It wasn't mean, it was Portuguese.

Master Saruwatari of the Pit Samurai Pm theguitarist to join

Membro do clube Português do UG.
Iron Man or Back in Black. More so than Teen Spirit I'd say.
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
PM me about buying the graphic novels I'm trying to sell
Quote by Lil Macker

Think about that one.

if the crazy frog is so shit, then why was it so successful?

That argument never works.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
^Actually, I do know a bit of back story for the Crazy Frog, since he's from Sweden. It started as a little film called The Annoying Thing, which was popular in Sweden (this was pre- Youtube, so people looking at internet films wasn't mainstream back then). About a year later Jamba found out about it and released it as a ringtone. Then it went downhill...

Anyway, I'd say Teen Spirit actually, because it's very easy and hence many people can play it. I'd also say that Enter Sandman is more overplayed than Master Of Puppets.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Anything by Arctic Monkeys -JESUS, I'm getting fed up of the indie trend.
I don't hear stairway much these days, so will go for smells like teen spirit
The rig:
Gibson SG faded special -> Marshall MG 50/100 (working on a valve amp)
Backup: Vintage AV1
Newcastle United
Quote by stratdud39
smoke on the water is THE most overplayed song ever. period.
THATS IT!!!
why isnt it on the poll?

To me, it seems as if everyone ONLY LEARNS THE INTRO RIFF. No more. So technically, only the intro riff of the song is constantly played.
Quote by Lil Macker

Think about that one.

i love guns n roses but thats a terrible argument because there really is terrible music out there that is popular. like, i dont know how those metalcore bands even get signed. they all just go in and play low notes and scream the whole time, and people want to listen to it
Quote by Soadfan8
i love guns n roses but thats a terrible argument because there really is terrible music out there that is popular. like, i dont know how those metalcore bands even get signed. they all just go in and play low notes and scream the whole time, and people want to listen to it

You may think it's terrible, but other people like it.

And, when you think about it, it's never gonna change.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Quote by stratdud39
smoke on the water is THE most overplayed song ever. period.
THATS IT!!!
why isnt it on the poll?

definately true,i've seen at least 50 people play it.
Any song by U2, Dave Mathews or any of the new tune down metal bands played more then zero times is overplayed.
Quote by Lil Macker

Think about that one.

Same thing with Avenged Sevenfold they suck major ass, and all there groupies are fat emo kids

but Guns' n' Roses were actually good
now this all depends on what side of the country you live on. if you live in the south, especially down here in jawwwjahhh, (thats georgia for all you normal folks) you gotta say the most overplayed song is gimme 3 steps by lynard skynard. and while yeah i am a red neck and damn proud of it, i hate lynard skynard`s more cheesy stuff. we would gladly welcome teen spirit, or master of puppets. oh yea, second most overplayed cheesy song down here in jawwjahhh is, you shook me all nite long by ac/dc. its enough to make a red neck puke in his budweiser. brang on that thar heavy meddle stuff.
epiphone gothic lp
ibanez arc-300
epiphone traditional pro lp
vox ad100vht head.
vox cab
I think both Nothing Else Matters / Enter Sandman are way more overplayed than Master of Puppets.

For the most overplayed song ever I gotta go with Smells Like Teen Spirit... I can't even listen to it anymore. Seems like every cover band I know (which plays in the same studio than my band) has to play Smells like teen spirit. ****!

Oh, BTW, how the hell is Iron Man overplayed? I mean, compared to Smoke on the water, Sweet Child o' mine and Smells like teen spirit? C'mon!
Dude, ever heard Smoke on the water?
Quote by steven seagull
I hate to say it, but chances are the only thing good about that amp is the fact that the name looks a lot like the word "laser"...

Check out my band!
at school 3 songs played in the music room
smells like teen sprit, enter sandman and dancing in the moonlight
Quote by Tom_hatton

Quote by Tom_hatton

Quote by Tom_hatton
No.

Ok, i'll bite...but only because comparing GnR to Hannah Montana & Lil Chris is a reasonable analogy.

I know you have reasons to justify your position, so let's hear it....
Even though I havent heard it once, I'd say it smells like teen spirit is the most overplayed on this list. But really the most overplayed song might be Smoke on the Water.
Quote by stinger12345
Ok, i'll bite...but only because comparing GnR to Hannah Montana & Lil Chris is a reasonable analogy.

I know you have reasons to justify your position, so let's hear it....

I think its a perfectly suitable analogy, all those artists/bands are famous when they make extremely mediocre/poor music. Guns 'N' Roses IMO are a nothing than a bad hair metal/classic rock/whatever the hell you want to call it band. The old line-up was nothing special, the new line-up is piss-poor and they're all arrogant pricks. Their music is overrated and overplayed and I personally think they're shit. Debate it all you like, I'm just giving reasons like you asked.
Quote by Tom_hatton

+1

Quote by Lil Macker

Think about that one.

Is this a joke?
i like progressive rock
Sweet Child O Mine. It's the only song that was overplayed in the past and is still overplayed now.

Every other song mentioned so far in this thread has been overplayed at some point in time, but right now, you won't hear any of them being played in stores. If you go to a music store and ask the little kids ****ing around with guitars to play Stairway, most of them won't have even heard the recording of the song, let alone be able to play it. Most kids starting out on guitar these days have not listened to Iron Man, Smoke On The Water, Sunshine Of Your Love, very few of them listen to AC/DC... even Smells Like Teen Spirit is getting obscure.
On the other hand, even these new kids still know Sweet Child O Mine.

Most of the stuff that you hear getting murdered in guitar stores now is repetitive fake 'indie' **** (which is actually as mass produced as any other pop band, and real indie died out in the early 90's, but ssh, don't tell the scene kids that, they might slap you with their drainpipe jeans and white belts!). 99% of people I see walking into a guitar store these days, they pick up the first Telecaster they see (it's always a Telecaster), then start randomly strumming any barre chords between the 7th and 14th frets. They don't even seem to care if they're in key or anything. They just stand there with the Tele hitched up to their armpits, swaying back and forth and looking like they're having some kind of seizure while they randomly strum with all the rhythmic timing of a drugged up gibbon. Useless 'indie' ****wits.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
Most of the stuff that you hear getting murdered in guitar stores now is repetitive fake 'indie' **** (which is actually as mass produced as any other pop band, and real indie died out in the early 90's, but ssh, don't tell the scene kids that, they might slap you with their drainpipe jeans and white belts!). 99% of people I see walking into a guitar store these days, they pick up the first Telecaster they see (it's always a Telecaster), then start randomly strumming any barre chords between the 7th and 14th frets. They don't even seem to care if they're in key or anything. They just stand there with the Tele hitched up to their armpits, swaying back and forth and looking like they're having some kind of seizure while they randomly strum with all the rhythmic timing of a drugged up gibbon. Useless 'indie' ****wits.

I don't see why this isn't considered trolling.

What you are doing is calling out a specific group of people and ultimately calling them useles... You don't seem to be the type with a chip on your shoulder (mainly because it sounds like you have never met an indie kid), rather, the type that obtains the elitist "new music sucks" attitude and latches on the ever popular dissent of "indie" culture.

I may never give a listen to that generation's music, but I've known quite a few people in that scene and they seem like rather nice people. Of course, there are always the assholes, but even in what I like to call my generation of music, there are assholes.

However, they are anything but useless. Music must always shift and change. Hasn't every era of music been met with some level of extreme dissent? The seventies were too loud, were they not?

Basically what I'm saying is, chill out. You don't know what you're talking about. They're people too. They just happen to be on a new frontier for music.
i like progressive rock
Quote by Tom_hatton
I think its a perfectly suitable analogy, all those artists/bands are famous when they make extremely mediocre/poor music. Guns 'N' Roses IMO are a nothing than a bad hair metal/classic rock/whatever the hell you want to call it band. The old line-up was nothing special, the new line-up is piss-poor and they're all arrogant pricks. Their music is overrated and overplayed and I personally think they're shit. Debate it all you like, I'm just giving reasons like you asked.

Well from what I understand, Hannah Montana is a character in a TV show and doesn't even write the music, so no, i'd say it's not really a perfectly suitable analogy.

As for the reasons you gave, I won't even bother debating them because we'd just go in circles about the same ****. But GnR today isn't even a band. It's just what Axl does so he doesn't go homeless.
Page 1 of 2