I used the searchbar and got nothing.I've just picked up slapping and thought I was doing ok until I realised that when I slap I often brush the strings I'm not supposed to be hitting, especially the B, my palm also sort of hits it when I pop.

Is it just a case of me having to watch my thumb until I consistantly don't brush the strings, or are there any good videos on youtube that demonstrate good technique? I'd just go look myself but I assume if I can go wrong then lots of people on youtube can too and I really want to get this right!
Quote by Deliriumbassist

My two pennies- theory. Learn it.
Skills. Get them.
Hair. Grow it to your ass.

Quote by Dempsey68
i can only keep it up for about 30 seconds before my fingers cramp up =[

Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
Sorry, but because you listen to Tool doesn't mean you're intelligent.
practice. it gives you wrist strength and precision, which makes not hitting stuff easier.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Until you can get more control and precision, slow it down. Get yourself a metronome or a drum loop that you can control the BPM and seriously, slow down. When you can play with control and good technique then speed it up a notch.
The thing about slapping is really like this. You can try and do it your way, or you can copy someone else (at least that is how it worked out for me). Until I saw Victor Wooten's video I thought it was just hitting the string with your thumb when you do slapping, but I was wrong. He showed me what am I supposed to do. And yeah, to relate to these other guys, you do it REALLY SLOWLY at the at first. Not only in slap, but anything you do, do it slowly btw.

Once my drummer said that it was hard to play songs slowly; do you know what did my solo guitarist and I replay him:

THAT IS THE POINT OF PRACTICE!
MC Rimes, could you point me in the direction fo the particular video that helped you? There are hundreds of victor wooten videos out there....
Quote by Deliriumbassist

My two pennies- theory. Learn it.
Skills. Get them.
Hair. Grow it to your ass.

Quote by Dempsey68
i can only keep it up for about 30 seconds before my fingers cramp up =[

Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
Sorry, but because you listen to Tool doesn't mean you're intelligent.
Quote by fortysix&2
I used the searchbar and got nothing.I've just picked up slapping and thought I was doing ok until I realised that when I slap I often brush the strings I'm not supposed to be hitting, especially the B, my palm also sort of hits it when I pop.

Is it just a case of me having to watch my thumb until I consistantly don't brush the strings, or are there any good videos on youtube that demonstrate good technique? I'd just go look myself but I assume if I can go wrong then lots of people on youtube can too and I really want to get this right!

Dont worry too much man, happened to me too.
Im better now (still not too good) at slapping, and it really just does come with practise. Take a simple tune you know, and play it with slap slowly untill your not hitting other strings as well. Youl get faster and more accurate.
A bigger issue for me was that I was doing it too hard and getting too much rattle in the string, ie minor buzz.
Quote by MoshPitRock
ANIMALS LIE DOWN.
that's just what they do.
there's probably humans doing the same thing.
quit being so paranoid.