Page 1 of 2
hey, im thinking about getting a bunch of parts (bridge, p-ups, tuners, hardware) for my tele build from www.guitarfetish.com. Im also looking at their necks...the price of these items are very, very cheap (the neck is $50, down from $145), and its almost too good to be true. Has anyone got stuff from guitar fetish and what is the quality of it? I am spending alot of time on this guitar build and i dont want the neck or bridge to snap...And one more question, are the pickups good quality/sound too?
thanks
I've got an LP bridge and tailpiece from them, as well as a set of pickups.
The bridge and tail are solid and look great. The pickups sound pretty damn good for what I paid.
Epiphone Les Paul goldtop (EMG 81/85)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Telecaster MIM
Epiphone SG Special
Jay Turser JT200 Serpent (GFS Crunchy Rails/Crunchy Pat)
Dean V-Coustic
Ovation Celebrity
Bugera 333-212
Crate Blue Voodoo 120H
I've HEARD the following:

-their tuners are dodgy
-only buy GFS single coil pickups, the rest are mediocre(any bucker, bass pups, non-GFS pups)
-their OTHER hardware is good
-those modboards they sell are HORRIBLE

EDIT: DYING TO KNOW ABOUT THE QUALITY OF THEIR NECKS TOO!
Last edited by RSX at Jun 29, 2008,
Some of GF stuff is ok. But some of their stuff is to cheap for a reason. I bought some of their "good as grover" tuners and they arent they are low quality asian tuners. Buying plastic parts things like that not bad. But their metal parts are way to cheap to be any good. I went and looked at the necks you want. And they have a bad habit of hyping the retail prices on things. Your not going to get a good neck for 50 bucks. So its gonna be on the same quality level as a starter pack guitar neck.
I bought replacement knock-off Grover tuners and the screw holes didn't line up.. But other than that they work fine.
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey 5150
Vader Cabinet 4x12
Roland Cube 30X
Line 6 Toneport UX1
Morley Bad Horsie II

ok, i might just get the neck and tuners from stew-mac or allparts......but they are $$$ at those places...
I bought a pre-wired gaurd from them, the quality was very nice. Also bought some singlecoils, which were quite good as well; very solid, no tricks type gear.
the humbuckers are awesome. dont get the crunchy/powerrails, or the single coil rails, they are horrible. the tuners are fine, nothing amazing. you can get Gotoh tuners from warmoth for like 3 dollars more. might as well do that.
The pickups, some are outstanding, others are thin and weak.
I suggest:
Vintage 59
Mean 90
Overwound non stagger strat set.
Reverse wound boutique strat pickup.
The prewired strat sets are okay.
The HSS prewired pickguard has a REALLY thin and weak middle and pickup, but the bucker is great.
The pickguards are really great quality.

The roller tune o matic bridges are very nice, but the non floyd rose tremolos are terrible, the fastloaders are better than most Licensed floyds. The tuners are total junk. The potentiometers for single coils are avarage, the gibson 500k pots are TERRIBLE, as are the push-pulls. The saddles on the humbucker sized telecaster bridge seem like they'll wear out soon.

Really, before you buy GFS, read some reviews, and ask around.
Even e-mail them, they're very nice, and won't lie to you about quality.
They have some steals and some not so great deals.

Some stuff is better to get from stewmac.
Please do not insinuate anything sexual from that.

Quote by cobain_is_king
If your friends don't like your guitar, cover it in stickers and it'll be teh rawks!
Quote by Christ Lover
What about their Licensed Floyd Rose Tremolo?

Better than the pot metal crappy floyd licensed ones you'll find in lower end "shred" guitars.

Not as good as the american floyd rose.

Quote by cobain_is_king
If your friends don't like your guitar, cover it in stickers and it'll be teh rawks!
Quote by play th' geetar
hey, im thinking about getting a bunch of parts (bridge, p-ups, tuners, hardware) for my tele build from www.guitarfetish.com. Im also looking at their necks...the price of these items are very, very cheap (the neck is $50, down from $145), and its almost too good to be true. Has anyone got stuff from guitar fetish and what is the quality of it? I am spending alot of time on this guitar build and i dont want the neck or bridge to snap...And one more question, are the pickups good quality/sound too?
thanks

Im making a tele build too what specs are you going for?
Quote by envoykrawkwar7

edge11
that was an epic win
best thing ive read all day

[feel free to sig this statement]

Gear:
Esp Ltd Ninja 600
Esp Ltd F-50
les paul elite
5watt jcm800 clone
Roland jc-55
Crate V33
Jca20H
Ibanez tubescreamer ts9
Keeley ds-1
so there LFR is better than most others? and how much would i have to pay to get 1 of equal quality from somewhere else?
The Best Floyd Rose Is A Setup Floyd Rose!

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
03 B.C. Rich NJ Warlock Speedloader
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
Only thing I've ever bought from them is closeout page overwound Strat pup set. I guess I got lucky, becuase I hear the Closeout page stuff blows major balls, but my pup set sounds great, but it's a little too beefy for me 'cause I like lots of Strat-esque spank and sparkle.

Gonna order a HSS prewired guard from them and maybe an SSS prewired guard (gonna replace the mid pup in the HSS though, after reading post #10).
Quote by f22master
so there LFR is better than most others? and how much would i have to pay to get 1 of equal quality from somewhere else?

Well, they're solid steel as opposed to pot metal.

But they're the only source I know of for them.

Quote by cobain_is_king
Quote by Invader Jim
Pot metal? You mean zinc?

Pot metal as identified by my grandfather when it broke.

I don't know if it means zinc or low grade alloy or what.

Quote by cobain_is_king
ive got a wilkenson trem for my strat from them, thing is very nice quality and has a hefty block. easily twice the size of the one i replaced. i also picked up some plastic knobs for my strat, and they suck. not painted well and just arent that high of quality. id only go for pickups if you must go cheap. apparently they arent always accurate in their descriptions and such, so if you want good pickups you may want to go elsewhere.

and ebay is the place to go for necks. mighty mite neck for just over $100 and im sure its much higher quality than something for $50.
Quote by Invader Jim
Well pots are usually alluminum and high-end pots are zinc. (For future reference...)

Not pot as in potentiometers, pot as in low-end metal.

Quote by cobain_is_king
Has anyone had any experience with the crunchy pat humbucker?
Quote by SkaJon
Has anyone had any experience with the crunchy pat humbucker?

Terrible.
Seriously, those, the 180s, and the crunchy rails are just bad.

Quote by cobain_is_king
so is their LFR worth it? and isn't it single locking?

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
Quote by f22master
so is their LFR worth it? and isn't it single locking?

It's worth the 60 bucks they charge for it.
Probably more than that.

If given the choice of that or original floyd rose, i'd pick the same as anyone else.

Yes, it's a fastloader, meaning it's single locking.
You still have the locking nut and fine tuners.
Also, you can use regular strings without cutting the ends off.
I personally have found that fender bullet .09s(I usually play with 10s) work best.
It's like any floyd. It'll hold tune for weeks so long as you do everything right.

Quote by cobain_is_king
Hm. Well, the Harmony Central boards seem to love just about everything put out by GuitarFetish.

Personally, I've yet to experience them, but I shall soon. I e-mailed the site earlier today for advice as to what pickups to buy, I'll drop in with my results once they're installed.
Do YOU know who Les Paul is?

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
Quote by jof1029
ive got a wilkenson trem for my strat from them, thing is very nice quality and has a hefty block. easily twice the size of the one i replaced. i also picked up some plastic knobs for my strat, and they suck. not painted well and just arent that high of quality. id only go for pickups if you must go cheap. apparently they arent always accurate in their descriptions and such, so if you want good pickups you may want to go elsewhere.

and ebay is the place to go for necks. mighty mite neck for just over $100 and im sure its much higher quality than something for $50.

Good thing to hear for me, my squier needs a better trem.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
Good thing to hear for me, my squier needs a better trem.

Huh, I heard their wilkinson was their worst, but they might've switched something the the manufacturing.

Quote by cobain_is_king
Here is the deal with GFS. There low output alnico manget pickups are better than the low output ceramic pickups you find on low end guitars.

If you have alnico pickups on your guitar already then your stock pickups are probably as good if not better than the low output alnico pickups you could get from GFS.

The biggest reason to get pickups for GFS is if you want a dramatic change in tone and don't have any money. For example, you have a high output alnico pickup in the bridge of your ibanez RG1570 and you think it sounds muddy and you decide you should get a PAF style pickup instead but you are on a very tight budget. Then GFS is could be good for you. However, if you have PAF style humbuckers on your SG400 and you get GFS PAF's to replace them then your tone won't be any better and could very well be worse than your stock pickups.

GFS is about options, not quality.
Not taking any online orders.
how is the fat paf alnico pickup? would it handle metal/hard rock or is it strictly blues, rock n roll?
Last edited by P.L.U.C.K at Jun 30, 2008,
^coming from a guy who makes pickups.

That's liek asking a coca cola representative about the quality of pepsi.

Quote by cobain_is_king
Quote by P.L.U.C.K
how is the fat paf alcino pickup? would it handle metal/hard rock or is it strictly blues, rock n roll?

It's not terrible, but the vintage 59s are about 20 times better.

If you want a lower-cost rock/metal pair, i'd suggest going GFS in the neck, rockfield in the bridge.

Quote by cobain_is_king
Quote by P.L.U.C.K
how is the fat paf alnico pickup? would it handle metal/hard rock or is it strictly blues, rock n roll?

It's not really bluesy at all really. The neck is slightly hotter than a PAF Pro and the bridge is about as hot as a Seymour Duncan Custom Custom. If you are on a budget and looking for more guts for your PAF tone then it's probably a pretty good choice, however, some people find the bridge version of that pickup to be kind of muddy. That comes with being high output alnico though.

Quote by Iansmitchell
^coming from a guy who makes pickups.

That's liek asking a coca cola representative about the quality of pepsi.

You might think so but no. People that come here very often know that I try and make recommendations based on the people are looking for and not what I want them to buy. Sometimes this means recommending other brands. I actually give honest advice and I have insights that most people don’t.
Not taking any online orders.
Last edited by CorduroyEW at Jun 30, 2008,
Quote by CorduroyEW

You might think so but no. People that come here very often know that I try and make recommendations based on the people are looking for and not what I want them to buy. Sometimes this means recommending other brands. I actually give honest advice and I have insights that most people don’t.

Well, I just know that I've used the vintage 59s, the mean 90s, overwound strat pickups, and prewired HSS pickguard.

I used a combo of the mean 90, bridge 59 neck in my epiphone dot, in addition to a pot change, roller bridge, and graphite nut, and I have to say the improvement in tone is staggering. In comparison, the epiphone pickups were muddy, undefined, and underpowered. Now I have a great rock n roll, blues, and even jazz guitar.

I used an HSS pickguard in a squier bullet strat, and the tone and versatility really improved.

I later used the overwound set's two strat pickups in place of the others in the HSS prewired guard, and the reverse wound in combination with a humbucker sized bridge tele with a mean 90.

They're really great pickups, especially if you're a person who plays around with the volume and tone knobs, as well as the amplifier EQ.

They're not very modern, they're vintage to the bone, great stuff.
Except for the dream 180s, crunchy rails, and tele bridge pickups.

I've found them to be an improvement in every guitar I've used them in, and on par or better than some much more expensive pickups.

Quote by cobain_is_king
Quote by Iansmitchell
It's not terrible, but the vintage 59s are about 20 times better.

If you want a lower-cost rock/metal pair, i'd suggest going GFS in the neck, rockfield in the bridge.

thanks ill have a look at them 59s if im not happy with the paf. its already on the way with 2 lil killers.

Quote by CorduroyEW
It's not really bluesy at all really. The neck is slightly hotter than a PAF Pro and the bridge is about as hot as a Seymour Duncan Custom Custom. If you are on a budget and looking for more guts for your PAF tone then it's probably a pretty good choice, however, some people find the bridge version of that pickup to be kind of muddy. That comes with being high output alnico though.

thanks for the info, seems like the sort of pickup im looking for.
Last edited by P.L.U.C.K at Jun 30, 2008,
Thank you for all of your help...I think that im going to get the neck and tuners from stewmac or warmoth, and everything else from GF...
Also, on the Wilkinson Compensated Tele Bridge there is an option for a string through or just a hardtail and no string through...Which would be a better choice, because wouldnt the option w/ no string through put more stress on the bridge, leading to a breakage? And if i choose the string through option, would i have to move the string through holes back, because there are no holes in the bottom of the bridge, only in the rear? I hope this makes sense, and if not then ask questions.
thanks!

Quote by edge11
Im making a tele build too what specs are you going for?

Basswood body w/ a bloodwood and lacewood top
Standard p-up arrangement
All black hardware
Danish oil Finish
anything else you want to know?
Quote by play th' geetar
Thank you for all of your help...I think that im going to get the neck and tuners from stewmac or warmoth, and everything else from GF...
Also, on the Wilkinson Compensated Tele Bridge there is an option for a string through or just a hardtail and no string through...Which would be a better choice, because wouldnt the option w/ no string through put more stress on the bridge, leading to a breakage? And if i choose the string through option, would i have to move the string through holes back, because there are no holes in the bottom of the bridge, only in the rear? I hope this makes sense, and if not then ask questions.
thanks!

They make one that has both string through and hardtail holes.

As for the bridge holding up to string tension, the squier '51 does fine with that style of hardtail.

Quote by cobain_is_king
are the OFR speedloaders single locking too? or is it just the GF one's?

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
Page 1 of 2