I've seen Tom Morello do things with his guitar like switch the pickups really fast and "scratching".

This sounds really cool but is it good for your guitar?

I have a new guitar (gibson SG) and it has the rhythm and treble selector instead of my strat's pickup selector.

I was wondering if I could do this without hurting the guitar because it seems like it would put a lot of stress on the pickups

Get back to me UG and thanks,

Kevin
isnt he using a kill switch? not Pup selector?
Quote by ealtdharkon
Sorry to break this to you, but you "hardcore" fans don't HAVE mosh pits.
You have epileptic line dancing.

Quote by NotTheSun3290
Well... I AM a virgin, afterall...
Quote by magvol

thats what i thought.
STEAM: beachhhhhhhh

Quote by cornmancer
Please daddy, just for one hour.
Quote by magvol

this is true, i read an interview where he explained that
yea, so the pickups wouldn't be as messed up with a separate toggle switch
Epiphone G-400
Yamaha Pacifica (Mod on hold due to procrastination)
Rocktron Banshee
Marshall 10CD

Quote by geetarguy13

I've never smoked before but it looks like fun.
Quote by magvol

I thought he was using a Pup selector as a kill switch...
fght ff yr dmns. wrt sngs n yr slp. fight yr dmns your DEMONS. w lv y. w mss y. i lv y s mch tht t hrts m hd.
no he uses his selector AS a kill switch.... i hate to admit, but i saw an episode of TRL, and he demonstrated it there....

edit: wow, so many replies so fast...
"You take the blue pill , the story ends here, you wake up and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill you stay in wonderland and I'll show you just how deep the rabbit hole goes."
- Morpheus

#3 of Tom Cruise Scares me club.
He uses both. He does the whole rhythm/treble thing with one of his guitars. But with his newer ones, he has a killswitch put in. The only stress would be the stress on the knob. Pickups can take the shutting off and on part easily, just be careful when using the knob. One of my mp3's has a sort of Tom Morello feel to it, check it out.

A.W
He has one pup at 0 and the other at like 7 -10 and the pup selector acts as a Kill switch that way.
Set Up

Fender Highway One Stratocaster
Fender Princeton Chorus Amp
Fender Acoustic 12 String
Samick Acoustic 6 String
Line 6 POD X3 Live
what could happen as a result changing the toggle switch really quickly during songs? cuz ive done that and i dont see what damage that could do.
Quote by Soadfan8
what could happen as a result changing the toggle switch really quickly during songs? cuz ive done that and i dont see what damage that could do.

Let's say that your selector is designed to do at least 10.000 switches before it breaks (I have no idea how many they should be able to do). If you do it a lot, fast and hard, your switch will of course wear down faster, than when you only do it scarcely.

But even then, it's almost free to fix yourself, so don't sweat it.
Quote by clsscrckr91
He has one pup at 0 and the other at like 7 -10 and the pup selector acts as a Kill switch that way.

i get that but does tom just slide his fingers on the strings to make the sounds? im so confused
Quote by SeveralSpecies
How the f*ck are you gonna get a cat to bark?

---------------------------5------8-----7-
----------------5-------------------------
------------------1-3-3-------/6----/5----
-1/3--1-1h3-------------------------------

Matt Freeman>You
Quote by magvol

on most of his guitar's he has a kill switch but on his les paul he uses the toggle switch
Keeping it real since '92
Quote by TheBassMan3
i get that but does tom just slide his fingers on the strings to make the sounds? im so confused

Yes, he slides his fingers/palm on the strings to get the scratch sound, and toggles the toggle switch for the rhythm.
Therese a killswitch installed on his "Arm The Homeless" and "Soul Power" Guitars
but he does the volume thing on his Les Paul
Quote by masterk1818
Ya well when i wrestle/play with my dog he sometimes jumps on my back and starts humping me. But should he be doing this if he is neutered?

Quote by InvaderTSN
Wrestle with him naked. He'll ruv you rong time.

flickr
Quote by SeveralSpecies

....no homo?
I ****ed up my LP's pup switch doing this. This was before I heard of Tom Morello ever doing it...I thought I was being original
Quote by magvol

you can do the same thing with a 2 volume knob pickup setup. You can see Randy Rhoads doing it at the beginning of this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRbPWcLode0
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Quote by stinger12345
I ****ed up my LP's pup switch doing this. This was before I heard of Tom Morello ever doing it...I thought I was being original

That's very easy to fix, all that's happening is that the prongs that the switch connects with get bent straight, you can either re-bend them, or if you can't get to them, just buy a new switch.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Quote by Havok19
Therese a killswitch installed on his "Arm The Homeless" and "Soul Power" Guitars
but he does the volume thing on his Les Paul

Uhh, he has a killswitch on his Soul Power, but he uses the volume thing with his Arm the .Homeless
he uses a kill switch, which people who dont have often try to replicate using a pickup selector, which kills the selector